FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

I think it's going to interesting to see where Brazil's main goal threat will now come from. Without Neymar they lack anyone close to a top class striker. He also provided their main creative spark. Oscar's capable of steppiing into that gap but they are seriously blunted with Neymar. Their home advantage, strong team ethic and Scolari's experience may still get thmm cross the line. They just need some more free kicks for David Luiz to belt in.

* One of my favorite moments so far in the entire tournament was when David Luiz and Dani Alves embraced James Rodriguez after Brazil's win over Colombia, consoled him for an extended period of time, and gestured with their hands that this was a wonderful young star to be celebrated, even in defeat. It was above and beyond the "call of duty" to demonstrate that kind of respect and sportsmanship.

Bittersweet-World-Cup-exit-for-joyous-Ro

Nice photo and sporting sentiments but it's just a shame their team didn't treat him better during the match rather than trry and kick him out of it

Yes, I wonder if they would have done the same thing if Columbia had won?

Am I the only one here who thinks David Luiz did that to satisfy his own giant ego and bask in all the attention? :bad: Dutch analyst Jan Mulder on Flemish television had a similar reaction.

2014_07_04_T225945_Z_860678558_GF2_EA741

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY impressed by Krul's performance on the goal line. Not impressed by his overt gamesmanship as the Costa Ricans were placing the ball on the spot before shooting. Our commentators denounced these actions, and I fully agree. Very low class behavior, in a world cup where things have generally been classier than ever.*

Krul said nothing more than that he knew where they were going to put the ball. Football is war and psychological games are very much a part of tournaments like the world cup. It's just that unexpectedly bringing on a fully prepared two meter tall goalie for the penalty shoot out is unprecedented. As Euro 1988 keeper Hans van Breukelen said on Dutch television last night it's all about getting the other player to start thinking. A penalty shoot out is not a lottery and it was about time the Dutch started behaving accordingly.

The Costa Ricans were keen on the match ending in a penalty shoot out from the kick off, and they grossly miscalculated. Van Gaal had anticipated their attitude and for the first time devised a plan instead of attacking blindly and hoping one will go in sooner or later.

I think it's going to interesting to see where Brazil's main goal threat will now come from. Without Neymar they lack anyone close to a top class striker. He also provided their main creative spark. Oscar's capable of steppiing into that gap but they are seriously blunted with Neymar. Their home advantage, strong team ethic and Scolari's experience may still get thmm cross the line. They just need some more free kicks for David Luiz to belt in.

* One of my favorite moments so far in the entire tournament was when David Luiz and Dani Alves embraced James Rodriguez after Brazil's win over Colombia, consoled him for an extended period of time, and gestured with their hands that this was a wonderful young star to be celebrated, even in defeat. It was above and beyond the "call of duty" to demonstrate that kind of respect and sportsmanship.

Bittersweet-World-Cup-exit-for-joyous-Ro

Nice photo and sporting sentiments but it's just a shame their team didn't treat him better during the match rather than trry and kick him out of it

Well, that match was allowed to get rough from both sides. Aside from the foul that caused Neymar's injury, I don't recall anything particularly egregious in terms of the quality of the fouls. It was the quantity that became the issue, and it went both ways.

Yes, I wonder if they would have done the same thing if Columbia had won?

? That's not how it works, of course. They would have been distraught, and their mindset much different. Maybe James would have consoled them. Probably not... but would anybody have expected him to do so? That's kind of the point here. It was an unusually sporting gesture.

Edited by Jim R

VERY impressed by Krul's performance on the goal line. Not impressed by his overt gamesmanship as the Costa Ricans were placing the ball on the spot before shooting. Our commentators denounced these actions, and I fully agree. Very low class behavior, in a world cup where things have generally been classier than ever.*

Krul said nothing more than that he knew where they were going to put the ball.

I know what he said, and I know the assumption is that what he said helped him to stop the shots. It doesn't matter what he said. He showed no class, and that tarnishes things for me. Fantastic performance by Krul otherwise, and kudos to Van Gaal for his strategy.

I just saw and listened to a historian analyse behaviour of our fans and how it came about. The way they dress and so on. He said people abroad think that we are that nationalistic but that it is due more to a feeling of togetherness that we wear orange at an event like the WC, it is something that bonds us. We just borrowed the colour of our Royals and act silly but feel gentle. I have always felt it like that. People dress up really weird and we in fact we make a fool of ourselves but it also makes us feel closer together. I thought it to be very interesting to learn where things like that come from, the rituals and habits of a nation.

Edited by page

I just saw and listened to a historian analyse behaviour of our fans and how it came about. The way they dress and so on. He said people abroad think that we are that nationalistic but that it is due more to a feeling of togetherness that we wear orange at an event like the WC, it is something that bonds us. We just borrowed the colour of our Royals and act silly but feel gentle. I have always felt it like that. People dress up really weird and we in fact we make a fool of ourselves but it also makes us feel closer together. I thought it to be very interesting to learn where things like that come from, the rituals and habits of a nation.

During the 2012 Olympic in London the Dutch fan centre was a few hundred metres from my front door. It felt like the whole area had turned orange for the duration. Great crowds, mad dress sense and everyone very friendly even after seemingly heavy consumption of the sponsor's beer. I always think the sawthes of orange at major sporting tournaments is a great testament to the Dutch. Long may it continue.

Hey, we even borrowed "an Orange" for our royal family a while back - maybe that's why we appreciate the display

I agree I was very unimpressed by Krul. His poor behaviour was lamentable and for me demeaned his achievements saving the penalties.

Costa Rica showed real class throughout the tournament and were a real credit to their wonderful country. Pura vida, indeed.

Yes, Costa Rica showed real class in the knock out stage. They created their first chance in the 117th minute. They had real drive throughout the game, having the guts to play for a victory by attempting to score in real time. Not cowardly putting everything on a penalty shoot out. They should be crowned champions as Greece were at Euro 2004.

Yes, Costa Rica showed real class in the knock out stage. They created their first chance in the 117th minute. They had real drive throughout the game, having the guts to play for a victory by attempting to score in real time. Not cowardly putting everything on a penalty shoot out. They should be crowned champions as Greece were at Euro 2004.

I wouldn't be quite that venomously sarcastic about it but i agree with the gist of what you are saying. Watching the game, and it's worth noting that i was quietly hoping for Costa Rica to win at the beginning, i honestly thought that it would be a real injustice if Costa Rica snuck in a goal to win at the last minute or won on penalties (however well they played a tactical game to engineer it so that it came down to penalties). The Netherlands played better in my opinion, were the stronger team and deserved to win.

Which brings me to the penalty shoot out. A Penalty shoot out is a horrible, gutwrenching situation to be in. In my opinion Krul got all up in it, embraced it. He was bold, but I don't think that his gamesmanship crossed a line (based on the what i saw, anyway).

Just in case you don't understand, when I used the term "class" (or in this case, the lack thereof) in relation to Krul's behavior, it was not in the common football/soccer usage of the term, where it refers to skill/talent/consistency/ratings/etc.

Taking a defensive strategy and attacking on the counter in order to try to advance against a superior opponent (as most anyone would agree the Dutch were, ahead of this match) in a knockout situation at a World Cup is a completely legitimate choice of action. Calling that "cowardly" shows very little... well... class.

Watching the game, and it's worth noting that i was quietly hoping for Costa Rica to win at the beginning, i honestly thought that it would be a real injustice if Costa Rica snuck in a goal to win at the last minute or won on penalties (however well they played a tactical game to engineer it so that it came down to penalties). The Netherlands played better in my opinion, were the stronger team and deserved to win.

Agree with all of that, and would just add that "injustices" of the kind you refer to are not all that rare, just as in life. That doesn't mean any rules were broken. The Costa Ricans did earn that penalty shootout by preventing a potent Holland attack from scoring for 120 minutes.

Which brings me to the penalty shoot out. A Penalty shoot out is a horrible, gutwrenching situation to be in. In my opinion Krul got all up in it, embraced it. He was bold, but I don't think that his gamesmanship crossed a line (based on the what i saw, anyway).

Fair enough. There is a wide level of disagreement about this around the world, and everyone has a right to their own view. Edited by Jim R

I have to disagree. Costa Rica set out to blunt the, until then, very potent Dutch attacking force. By doing this they recognised the strength of their opponents and played to their own strengths which was very strong organisation and teamwork. Up to this match CR had played a high pressing, counter-attacking progressive style of football but it takes no tactical genius to know that continuation of that would have left them wide open to Robben and RVP.

Their defensive play was top class, showing a well drilled and cohesive team ethic. I don't think they set out at the beginning to play for penalties but to prevent the Dutch from scoring and if the opportunity came to grab a goal from somewhere, be that within the 90 or 120 minutes. In fact towards the end of extra time somewhat surprisingly CR threw their hitherto caution to the wind and started too open out in attack, trying to win within the 120 minutes. If they had been playing exclusively for penalties they wouldn't have done this.

The game was a great watch and CR's tactics added to that as did the Dutch attempts to break down the defence. There is a history of teams setting up defensively and trying to stifle more potent attacking opponents (Inter Milan won the Champions Leaggue a few seasons ago by doing similarly). Defensive doesn't necessarily mean boring or negative and is a valid tactic in itself.

The comparison of CR to Greece in 2004 I think is unfair. In 2004 Greece played cleverly recognising their weaknesses and strengths and used teamwork to over come stronger teams - in itself a great achievement. However the difference between them and Costa Rica the other evening is that Greece used the same tactic for every game. CR used this defenseive tactic only for that one game and had previously played an open and attacking style (ask Uruguay etc)

I agree with Clunky that Costa Rica were a credit to the WC not depite but because of how they played in all their matches

Now this is the view of a neutral. I can imagine that watching from a Dutch perspective it may have looked different.

As for Krul? I didn't like it at the time, it seemd too aggresive but I'm coming to believe that as it was within the rules of the game then it was a masterstroke (I just don't have to like it)

Watching the game, and it's worth noting that i was quietly hoping for Costa Rica to win at the beginning, i honestly thought that it would be a real injustice if Costa Rica snuck in a goal to win at the last minute or won on penalties (however well they played a tactical game to engineer it so that it came down to penalties). The Netherlands played better in my opinion, were the stronger team and deserved to win.

Agree with all of that, and would just add that "injustices" of the kind you refer to are not all that rare, just as in life. That doesn't mean any rules were broken. The Costa Ricans did earn that penalty shootout by preventing a potent Holland attack from scoring for 120 minutes.

Yeah, i rushed through that post and there were a lot of 'for want of a better word' moments and caveats that i wanted to add but i was in too much of a hurry. Was going to add something along the lines of "but if Costa Rica did pull it off, that's soccer and well played to them."

Unbelievable. Can't see the game but just have a website up that's posting running updates... it seems like everytime i refresh the screen another goal has been scored.

I hope you get to see some of it as Germany are playing some great football even if Brazil are helping them to