FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

That Fred embelished the fall is nothing new it's unfortunately a part of the game, that the ref decided to give a penality call for such a minor infraction is where it gets fishy , there's a lot more tugging and pulling inside the box throughout the game than during the litigious moment, it gives the everlasting feeling that during the World Cup teams that are relevant get breaks that lesser teams don't. Reverse the roles , do you seriously think that tthe ref would have granted Croatia a penality if their forward have been impeded in a similar fashion ...

Contrary to Jim except for the dubious call, felt that it was an enjoyable game , competitive enough with some flashes of brilliance and overall offensive minded action, I like Oscar despite him playing for a team that I dislike (Chelsea) maybe not physical enough to go through the grind as a perennial starter in Premier League though but the guy displays great things when he is on his game..

The two first games of the day Mexico-Cameroon and Netherlands-Spain are worth doing the couch potato routine, Chile-Australia is almost an highlites only match unless you are a hardcore or of course citizen or fan of these respective countries. Doesn't mean game will be bad, actually the game between the 2010 finalists could be a stalemate with Netherland promising to be in counter attack mode against a team that likes to keep the ball by making short safe passes.

Edited by Van Basten II

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe referees can give a yellow card, but basically it's part of the culture, especially in Southern Europe and Latin America. All these grown macho men crying like babies and begging for penalties and cards for opponents. It's called a Schwalbe in German.

The ref can give a yellow card for embellishing , to be fair one ref for such a wide field and so many players to cover is asking a lot , the assistants on the sidelines can also inform the ref if he has a better POV but as I mentionnned in my previous post, main problem is to whom the crime profits ...

To what erwbol mentions they are two philosophies there is the one that known as the fair play thing propagated by mostly Anglo-saxon countries and the win at all cost way of life more popular in such places as South America (think of Luis Suarez preventing a goal by using his hands against Ghana in 2010). where using the rules to our advantage is perceived to be part of the game.

Edited by Van Basten II

......... Come on England!

....Ah well, it was a good match!

They played as well as I've seen them for quite some time but - alas - the finishing was not up to par and the defence was very suspect at times. If they progress beyond this group it will be a miracle.

The coach seemed to get into the spirit of things. :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

I agree, England going forward were unrecognisable from previous tournament teams - great to see an Italina defence rattled. There was some shakines in defenece but only really on the left as they really should have solved the problem with the Italian right wing/wing back combination a lot earlier.

Italy just had more options and looked a far more cohesive unit. Still all to play for in the next two games - win both and we're through. Uruguay were poor against Costa Rica and on that form should pose no problem (especially if Suarez isn't 100%). I just know these words will come back to haunt me on Friday morning.....