FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

Hopefully next Wednesday's semi-final will be between Belgium and The Netherlands.

The thing that could prevent this wish is that teams with bigger CVs usually get results and yesterday's results seem to go this way also so if Netherlands should be favourites, Belgium on the other hand no matter how ordinary Argentina looked ...

It would be fun going back and forth between Dutch and Flemish television before, during, and after such a match.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Wilmots will regret leaving Lukaku off for so long. The Belgian wings looked sterile for most of the match, and the strategy of playing high balls toward the big targets late in the game looked so promising. I also thought that they were far too passive in terms of allowing Messi and Higuain to hold the ball up unchallenged and waste the clock in transition (throughout most of the game, after the goal had been scored), allowing the Argentines to re-organize and build their slow attacks. With very few chances for an equalizer created by Belgium, their urgency should have ramped up much earlier than it did. They also should have paid more attention to remaining onside when Argentina's defenders were playing their traps as crosses were released. Generally speaking, though, the football gods just seemed to be smiling on Argentina today. Numerous deflections bounced in favor of the South Americans, including one that set up Higuain's goal, and one where he later hit the crossbar.

It's outrageous how top strikers are assaulted during games.

Yes Brazil were guilty of that same cynical tactic by trying to kick Rodriguez out of the match at every opportunity.

Ironic that Brazil should now lose their star player to similar treatment. Scolari has been complaining about Neymar's treatment all tournament but that was exposed as hypocrisy last night the way his team acted. Until managers set the positive example and refrain from sending their team out to assault opponents' flair players it will continue....just ask Messi.

I thought the ref was too lenient last night and didn't protect the players. he was trying to let the game flow but I think didn't draw the line early enough with some challenges

NYTimes -- For Bellicose Brazil, Payback Carries Heavy Price: Loss of Neymar

"So what happened to Neymar? How did the face of this tournament end up in a hospital? Brazilian fans will not like to hear it, but while Zúñiga was directly responsible for causing Neymar’s injury, Neymar’s teammates — specifically Fernandinho, though there were others — as well as the referee, Carlos Velasco Carballo, deserve their share of the blame, too. They did not commit the crime, but they contributed to an environment of lawlessness that led to Neymar’s being battered."

(...)

"In all, Brazil committed nine of the first 11 fouls in the second half, hacking and pounding on the Colombians despite already holding a 1-0 lead. It was not hard to predict that at some point, Brazil’s top star, Neymar, would become a target."

Brave decison by Van Gaal to swap goalkeepers but as soon as you see Krul you realise his physical size means he's more likely to get across to the extemities of the goal to save penalties. Interesting how he tried to psyche out the Costa Rican penalty takers by getting right in their faces - I'd love to know what he was saying to them.

Costa Rica looked very tired. They'd played such a fantastic defensive game and in the last period of extra time really went on the offensive

Well played Holland and yes, it was good to see Robben only hit the floor when he was fouled. I thik they'll nedd RVP to improve to his best against argentina but if he does they're looking well set

Yes Brazil were guilty of that same cynical tactic by trying to kick Rodriguez out of the match at every opportunity.

Ironic that Brazil should now lose their star player to similar treatment. Scolari has been complaining about Neymar's treatment all tournament but that was exposed as hypocrisy last night the way his team acted. Until managers set the positive example and refrain from sending their team out to assault opponents' flair players it will continue....just ask Messi.

I thought the ref was too lenient last night and didn't protect the players. he was trying to let the game flow but I think didn't draw the line early enough with some challenges

"So what happened to Neymar? How did the face of this tournament end up in a hospital? Brazilian fans will not like to hear it, but while Zúñiga was directly responsible for causing Neymar’s injury, Neymar’s teammates — specifically Fernandinho, though there were others — as well as the referee, Carlos Velasco Carballo, deserve their share of the blame, too. They did not commit the crime, but they contributed to an environment of lawlessness that led to Neymar’s being battered."

(...)

"In all, Brazil committed nine of the first 11 fouls in the second half, hacking and pounding on the Colombians despite already holding a 1-0 lead. It was not hard to predict that at some point, Brazil’s top star, Neymar, would become a target."

Can I get the job as NY Times' football (soccer) correspondent?

Edited by mjazzg

Brave decison by Van Gaal to swap goalkeepers but as soon as you see Krul you realise his physical size means he's more likely to get across to the extemities of the goal to save penalties. Interesting how he tried to psyche out the Costa Rican penalty takers by getting right in their faces - I'd love to know what he was saying to them.

Euro 1988: Hans van Breukelen stops penalty during the final.

Video Link

I can't seem to embed the video directly into this page. Hopefully the video link will work for people connecting from outside of the Netherlands.

Below is a photo of the key moment.

breuk1988oog.jpg

Edited by erwbol

Yes, I immediately had to think of him too when Tim pointed at his eye. Hans used to do that. I remember Edwin van der Sar asked for his advice at some point on how to act. It really is a phychological game they say. I don't know whether you guys have noticed but Tim got the shots in the right direction even with the ones he missed, I think that was really remarkable. Maybe that was luck, I don't know. Maybe he can grow to become as good as Hans van Breukelen was, I hope so. It was a nerve wrecking game to watch. And what a pity Belgium didn't make it yesterday. I think we can expect a royal visit for the players on wednesday. Argentina would love that too I'll bet.

Yes, he chose the right corner every time. Well done.
Van Gaal: “We had discussed it with Tim. He knew about their penalties because he needed to be prepared. It worked out. If it hadn’t, it would have been my mistake.”

If I remember correctly, in 1988 the talk was Van Breukelen had a contact who kept note of where every player put his penalties. Van Breukelen had just won the European Cup final with PSV in a penalty shout out against Benfica where he stopped the final penalty.

Br2_Fzpf_Ig_AEYe_KK_jpg_large.jpg
The Costa Rican's coach reacts to the substitution. :P

Costa Rica looked very tired. They'd played such a fantastic defensive game and in the last period of extra time really went on the offensive

Well played Holland and yes, it was good to see Robben only hit the floor when he was fouled. I thik they'll nedd RVP to improve to his best against argentina but if he does they're looking well set

(...)

You mean this was all obvious, I assume. Although perhaps not to the referee.

In any event, remember that a large portion of the American viewing audience (and, presumably, the NYT readership) watches soccer, at least to some degree, filtered through their experience of watching American football, where violence is an essential and accepted part of the game. It may not have been obvious to everyone that Brazil was being overly aggressive.

(...)

In any event, remember that a large portion of the American viewing audience (and, presumably, the NYT readership) watches soccer, at least to some degree, filtered through their experience of watching American football, where violence is an essential and accepted part of the game. It may not have been obvious to everyone that Brazil was being overly aggressive.

No, I wasn't meaning that it was all obvious at all just joking that as the NY Times correspondent's article mirrored my post I may have found my true vacation.

(...)

No, I wasn't meaning that it was all obvious at all just joking that as the NY Times correspondent's article mirrored my post I may have found my true vacation.

Ahh. I see. You're right.

VERY impressed by Krul's performance on the goal line. Not impressed by his overt gamesmanship as the Costa Ricans were placing the ball on the spot before shooting. Our commentators denounced these actions, and I fully agree. Very low class behavior, in a world cup where things have generally been classier than ever.*

* One of my favorite moments so far in the entire tournament was when David Luiz and Dani Alves embraced James Rodriguez after Brazil's win over Colombia, consoled him for an extended period of time, and gestured with their hands that this was a wonderful young star to be celebrated, even in defeat. It was above and beyond the "call of duty" to demonstrate that kind of respect and sportsmanship.

Bittersweet-World-Cup-exit-for-joyous-Ro

So unfortunate to see Neymar injured and out of the tournament. I think Brazil are still good (and deep) enough to overcome that, but of course it will be much more difficult now. I think I will be rooting for Brazil to win the trophy, which would be a wonderful celebration to witness. With the stories and history dating back to the 1950 loss to Uruguay, the unfortunate saga of Barbosa, and even the more recent struggles of Julio Cesar, I would just like to see them find a happy ending this time.

I think it's going to interesting to see where Brazil's main goal threat will now come from. Without Neymar they lack anyone close to a top class striker. He also provided their main creative spark. Oscar's capable of steppiing into that gap but they are seriously blunted with Neymar. Their home advantage, strong team ethic and Scolari's experience may still get thmm cross the line. They just need some more free kicks for David Luiz to belt in.

* One of my favorite moments so far in the entire tournament was when David Luiz and Dani Alves embraced James Rodriguez after Brazil's win over Colombia, consoled him for an extended period of time, and gestured with their hands that this was a wonderful young star to be celebrated, even in defeat. It was above and beyond the "call of duty" to demonstrate that kind of respect and sportsmanship.

Nice photo and sporting sentiments but it's just a shame their team didn't treat him better during the match rather than trry and kick him out of it

Edited by mjazzg

I think it's going to interesting to see where Brazil's main goal threat will now come from. Without Neymar they lack anyone close to a top class striker. He also provided their main creative spark. Oscar's capable of steppiing into that gap but they are seriously blunted with Neymar. Their home advantage, strong team ethic and Scolari's experience may still get thmm cross the line. They just need some more free kicks for David Luiz to belt in.

Nice photo and sporting sentiments but it's just a shame their team didn't treat him better during the match rather than trry and kick him out of it

Yes, I wonder if they would have done the same thing if Columbia had won?