Jim Hall R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NPR's A Blog Supreme‏ is reporting via Twitter that Jim Hall has died, according to his daughter Devra Hall Levy, who sent a notice to a jazz scholars list. I don't have independent confirmation but the source seems credible enough to post.

Confirmations coming in from various sources.....RIP to this great musician and wonderful gentleman

I am very sad to hear this. I can't say enough about Hall's playing. From his work as a sideman on classics like The Bridge and Grand Encounter to his own classic albums like Concierto and Magic Meeting, he was such a tasteful, consistent and influential guitarist. Unfortunately, I never got to see him in person. Thank you for the music, Mr. Hall.

Edited by Justin V

Damn - what an appalling few weeks for jazz fatalities. So sorry to hear this - he was one of those guys it was a real pleasure to see live as he seemed to really thrive on small-venue audience interaction/enthusiasm.

I think I caught that Cheltenham performance, Bev. Also caught him at Bath back in the 1990s with Scott Colley (the Georgian Pump Room I think - an appropriate venue for this most civil and elegant of jazz artists). I can remember him saying at that gig that he reckoned he was cut out to be 'a good old guy'. Couldn't agree more. RIP Mr Hall.

Edited by sidewinder

Many years ago, my buddy Rob talked me into to going and seeing Jim Hall during one of his annual treks to Boston. Previously to this, I was rather ambivalent about his playing. After that show, I never missed him again. He was a great performer and I'll miss him. He just came through town a month or so ago and looked very frail. It was still a great show. RIP Mr. Hall and thank you for all the smiles you gave me.

My first Jim Hall record and still a favourite:

Jim+Hall+-+Commitment+-+LP+RECORD-512256

Heard 'Lament for a Fallen Matador' (actually 'that' Albinoni piece) on the radio and was haunted. After hearing much more Hall I now think it's really a re-run of Concierto though still lovely - Art Farmer is beautiful.

I actually prefer Hall's take on the Rodrigo to the Miles/Evans' - just feel it does something very different to the original.

He played so well in so many contrasting contexts - with Hampton Hawes, Chico Hamilton, Art Farmer, Sonny Rollins, Freddie Hubbard, Bill Evans - just to mention the 1955-62 period.

And the great 1959, 1961 and 1963-1965 recordings with Paul Desmond on Warner Bros. and RCA, and his Pacific Jazz dates, Jazz Guitar and Good Friday Blues - The Modest Jazz Trio.

Edited by J.A.W.