Jim Hall R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

As I've read through the tributes on this thread, I've been struck again--as I have listening to him over the years--by the amazing variety of musicians with whom he played--every style, type, and sort. And he enhanced them all. What an extraordinarily open-minded musician he was. RIP.

gregmo

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R.I.P.

Sad news. I'm gonna play the album 'Two Jims & Zoot' later, one of my favourites..

One of my favorites, too. Hall and Raney were an intense pairing, especially on "Move It" (think that's the title and think it's a Hall piece). The young Steve Swallow adds a lot to this date, as he does to the Art Farmer Quartet with Hall, and Walter Perkins or Pete LaRoca.

Actually I came to learn about Jim Hall through this album. Raney's son pointed it out to me as one of his father's best albums. Yes, you are right about "Move it", a lovely piece. I'd like to think they brought the best up in each other as can happen when musicians really connect and interact. Anyway, it is still one of my favourites.

Edited by page

Larry Goldings (his facebook post)
12 hours ago
Jim Hall: humility, patience, beauty, silence, sound, wisdom, commitment, kindness, humor, courage, respect, friendship, inspiration.
Thank you, Jim Hall.
And for those of us performing tonight, including myself...Let's play fewer notes. Let's play something meaningful, not something stale and preconceived. Let's take chances. Let's be willing to fail. Let's listen to our bandmates. Give them space. When we play a melody, let's play it as beautifully as we can. Let's play softer, and think about our sound. Let's leave space. Let's be creative. Let's think about giving, not taking. Let's make music.
Let's be more like Jim Hall.
Edited by alocispepraluger102

Nice doc

Thanks for posting, Uli.

Very, very nice .... what a great guy he was. I must have that album.

Larry Goldings (his facebook post)
12 hours ago
Jim Hall: humility, patience, beauty, silence, sound, wisdom, commitment, kindness, humor, courage, respect, friendship, inspiration.
Thank you, Jim Hall.
And for those of us performing tonight, including myself...Let's play fewer notes. Let's play something meaningful, not something stale and preconceived. Let's take chances. Let's be willing to fail. Let's listen to our bandmates. Give them space. When we play a melody, let's play it as beautifully as we can. Let's play softer, and think about our sound. Let's leave space. Let's be creative. Let's think about giving, not taking. Let's make music.
Let's be more like Jim Hall.

Yeah! That belongs into every musician's early morning routine before picking up an instrument.

I think it bears mentioning exactly how good a rhythm man Mr. Hall was. His 4-on-the-floor could support or carry any band. His use of 3-note piano style voicings in just the right spots has been much copied. When you add how big his ears were to the equation you realize he only did these things when needed (he called it 'superintending the rhythm section'). The compositional sense made him an unique soloist, but it was the foundation rhythm skills, the sensitivity, and listening that made him first-call player for so many. He wanted to make the leader and everyone else sound good.

I'm a big Jim Hall fan and I'm kicking myself not keeping up on the forums and getting this news a little late.

I really enjoyed his run on Telarc--the varied settings and amazing array of collaborations: Lovano, Osby, Methney, Harrell, etc. Indeed, his late years showed quite an interest in playing with younger guitarists, usually with rock roots--such as Frisell, Metheny, Mike Stern, John Scofield, etc. He was a great creative spirit.

R.I.P.

MI0000381904.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

I was listening to music the other day and I pulled Jim Hall - Live, from 1976 and on A&M, an album I almost hadn't listened to (because I normally prefer the younger artists output). I'm very fond of his mid-Fifties sessions (Jazz Guitar and All Night Session with Hampton Hawes to only name some). But I was immeditaley taken away by this great album. It's a great concert and I particulalrly liked older Hall and his bassist. And this was shortly before his death, which occured some days later.

Edited to add image

Edited by Bluesnik

R.I.P.

Sad news. I'm gonna play the album 'Two Jims & Zoot' later, one of my favourites..

One of my favorites, too. Hall and Raney were an intense pairing, especially on "Move It" (think that's the title and think it's a Hall piece). The young Steve Swallow adds a lot to this date, as he does to the Art Farmer Quartet with Hall, and Walter Perkins or Pete LaRoca.

There's at least another 2 dates with Raney/Hall: Street Swingers (alternate title: Hot Buttered Noodling) also with Bob Brookmeyer and Osie Johnson---I forget who plays bass. The other is David X. Young's Jazz Loft (Hall, Raney, Brook, Pepper Adams, Dave McKenna, Zoot Sims, many more).

Here Marc Myers talks about that release on the Artist Share label. But it seems this boxset, which contained recordings from more days in the club, is sold out.

I never knew about this box set. Does anyone know of a place where I can get a copy? I got turned onto the Electra/Musician "Live!" LP years ago and I'd love to get this completed concert.

This was a fan and friends funded project (a one-off), so I assume chances of seeing a reissue are really scarce. Now if there was a label behind it, it's more likely we'd see represses or reissues.

So I think the only chance is the secondary market, that is to say all preowned articles.

Sadly I suspect you're right. I've very bummed about this - never even knew the box existed until it was already sold out, and I'm a huge Hall fan. One of the high points of my life was seeing him live (trio) at the Vanguard in NYC a few years back.

For what it's worth, I just sent an e-mail message to Mosaic Records, suggesting that maybe they could issue this material as a Select or some other set (coolest to me would be a set including the original recordings issued on the 1975 LIVE album along with the 3 CDs of new material - with state of the art mastering by Malcolm Addey or Kevin Gray or someone like that - but I'd settle for just the previously unreleased stuff!).

Now that Hall is gone in particular I would think it's not out of the question that Mosaic would potentially have interest in something like this - something to honor his legacy (true there was the Desmond/Hall set they issued previously but that was a LONG time ago). I can't think of any better Hall recordings for Mosaic to consider issuing - the original LIVE album is desert island material and from all I've read by people who've heard the new box, it sounds like the rest of the recordings are just as fine. I would think it should (?) be relatively simple for Mosaic to contact the folks in charge of Hall's estate to talk licensing for the previously unissued stuff, at least - in some ways it would likely be easier than dealing with a label.

Anyway I post this here because I figure maybe if other people send Mosaic the same suggestion, there'll be some momentum built.

Here Marc Myers talks about that release on the Artist Share label. But it seems this boxset, which contained recordings from more days in the club, is sold out.

I never knew about this box set. Does anyone know of a place where I can get a copy? I got turned onto the Electra/Musician "Live!" LP years ago and I'd love to get this completed concert.

I'm in the same boat as you Kevin - never even knew it existed until it was long gone. (BTW the LIVE album was on A&M/Horizon, not Elektra/Musician).

Ah well - meantime tonight I've been revisiting the LIVE album on the original A&M/Horizon vinyl. What a remarkable recording.

Edited by DrJ

I did buy this set and think it sad that it has vanished so quickly. I dislike the whole concept of limited editions which seem to have more to do with indulging 'collectors' than making music available. At the very least you'd have thought a downloadable version would be available. Strangely the set has a fourth disc with computer files allowing you to import the music to your PC without ripping the main discs. So all the work has been done (I realise there are piracy fears but if anything they've made that easier with that extra disc - I would imagine this set is being shared widely).

It's a lovely set, living up to that first disc. Captures Hall without any other distractions and before he started to experiment with that unusual processing. I just love that 'classic' jazz guitar sound.

Edit: Just checked and I see this set is available on iTunes. Not cheap, not in the physical format that some prefer but if you want to hear the music...

Edited by A Lark Ascending