Top Releases of 2013

CraigP

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just impossible to keep up with everythig that's coming out, let alone afford it. Plus the never ending back catalogue stretching back decades to explore. I'm sure there will be 2013 albums that i missed that i subsequently pick up in years to come, but i've already got a pretty long list of stuff coming out in 2014 to occupy my funds, and the year hasn't even started yet.

Yes, there's really too much coming out to absorb or buy, but of course I'm not suggesting artists stop releasing their music. I made a conscious decision years ago to buy mostly new releases as opposed to reissues, but that only helps a little. So I don't know what the answer is, but it's an issue I've been thinking about lately.

Yup. It really is a joy to be listening to this music continue to unfold in real time. I know there's a lot of people that scoff at thought of people getting that enthusiastic about contemporary artists, but man oh man i guess all i'll say is "if you have to ask..."

Jonathan Finlayson & Sicilian Defense - Moment & the Message

Amazing album. As he's been such a prominent sideman over the years, it took me a few listens to stop listening to it in the light of Steve Coleman et al and just here it as it's own thing, which it most certainly is.

All the hardcopy editions are said to include "download of 4-track album" ... so I guess to have it all on hardcopy, you'd need the 2LP+2CD version (shipping to yurp is expensive!!!), but if you're okay with FLAC of the whole thing, you can get half of it on LP or the other half on CD (guess shipping for the double LP is nearly as expensive, of course). Weird. 20$ for digital only still seems steep to me ... I'm old-fashioned.

Just got the Pepper in, though, many thanks for guiding the way!

I've got the two CD version of Taylor Ho Bynum's Navigation. The cover image is subtley different, i don't have it in front of me but it says something like "Navigation Possibility Abstracts XII and XIII" rather than "The Complete Firehouse 12 Recordings." On the back of the CD digipak it notes that the package contains a complimentary download code for the complete edition, or words to that effect. My wife has put the CD aside to give me on christmas day, so i guess i'll find out (i inspected it before it was taken away to be wrapped and put under the tree ha ha). I see the download as more of a bonus thing, material that i wouldn't have heard otherwise but it will always be a bonus download of the material released on LP rather than something that's part of the complete CD package, if that makes sense.

I've got the two CD version of Taylor Ho Bynum's Navigation. The cover image is subtley different, i don't have it in front of me but it says something like "Navigation Possibility Abstracts XII and XIII" rather than "The Complete Firehouse 12 Recordings." On the back of the CD digipak it notes that the package contains a complimentary download code for the complete edition, or words to that effect. My wife has put the CD aside to give me on christmas day, so i guess i'll find out (i inspected it before it was taken away to be wrapped and put under the tree ha ha). I see the download as more of a bonus thing, material that i wouldn't have heard otherwise but it will always be a bonus download of the material released on LP rather than something that's part of the complete CD package, if that makes sense.

I've the LP so the DL will contain the CD material as a bonus.

Yes, and if you get the CD, you'll get the LP material as bonus (and with each version you'll also get the physically bought stuff as DL, too - that's my understanding at least).

Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to it all yet? I'm interested to hear how much the variations vary, if you see what I mean?

Edited by mjazzg

I had the opportunity to see "Navigation" performed live and I can see where it would vary each time it is performed. It seemed like any member of the ensemble could cue where what part would be played next by literally holding up signs which I assumed referred to a specific part of the composition.

I think Navigation is really extraordinary. 4 versions may seem a lot, but actually gives a really great window on how the piece works...Yes, you can definitely hear the different 'sub-compositions' within the 'master' composition...it's nothing at all like (for example) 4 different realisations of a very loose graphic score; the different architectures/roadmaps here are totally apparent, and none the less intriguing because of that. Taylor's a friend of mine, so I have to declare that interest, but by the same token, could just keep my mouth shut...but I say *please* check it out to anyone even remotely curious!

a3398654774_2.jpg

a3453701004_2.jpg

Both these two are stunning. In fairness I've only listed to them in the last 48 hours but they sound great. The Ensemble disc is simply beautiful yet adventurous music of the highest order , to my ears it a progression form the earlier albums ( which are pretty good as it is). The solo disc benefits from the inclusion of a few standards which really help the cloth ear listener ( me) understand where Alex's radical approach is coming from. These standards offer a key to "understand" what's going on in the originals which make up the bulk of the program. Alex is clearly too modest to blow his own trumpet but these are very nice releases. Well done.

Wow - this is extremely kind, thank you...I'm really flattered you enjoy them!!!

• 2 weeks later...

a3398654774_2.jpg

a3453701004_2.jpg

Both these two are stunning. In fairness I've only listed to them in the last 48 hours but they sound great. The Ensemble disc is simply beautiful yet adventurous music of the highest order , to my ears it a progression form the earlier albums ( which are pretty good as it is). The solo disc benefits from the inclusion of a few standards which really help the cloth ear listener ( me) understand where Alex's radical approach is coming from. These standards offer a key to "understand" what's going on in the originals which make up the bulk of the program. Alex is clearly too modest to blow his own trumpet but these are very nice releases. Well done.

Wow - this is extremely kind, thank you...I'm really flattered you enjoy them!!!

I've been listening to Song Singular, which I got from Mr. Hawkins. Our friend can play the piano.

1. La Compagnia del Madrigale - Gesualdo: Sesto Libro di Madrigali (Glossa) * * * * *

2. John Eliot Gardiner - Beethoven: Missa Solemnis (SDG) * * * * *

3. Peter Brötzmann - Long Story Short (Trost) * * * * *

4. Isabelle Faust - Bartók: Violin Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 (Harmonia Mundi) * * * * *

5. Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter Two: Mississippi Moonchile (Constellation) * * * *1/2

6. Peter Brötzmann & Steve Noble - I Am Here Where Are You (Trost) * * * *1/2

7. Alexander Hawkins - Song Singular (Babel) * * * *1/2

8. Patricia Kopatchinskaja - Prokofiev/Stravinsky: Violin Concertos (naïve) * * * *1/2

9. Hilary Hahn - In 27 Pieces: The Hilary Hahn Encores (Deutsche Grammophon/Universal) * * * *1/2

10. Carolin Widmann - Morton Feldman: Violin and Orchestra (ECM New Series) * * * *1/2

11. Sophie Hunger - The Rules of Fire (Two Gentlemen) * * * *1/2

12. Maria Pia de Vito/François Couturier/Anja Lechner/Michele Rabbia - Il Pergolese (ECM) * * * *1/2

13. Harry Miller - Different Times, Different Places (Ogun) * * * *1/2

14. Roscoe Mitchell - Duets with Tyshawn Sorey and Special Guest Hugh Ragin (Wide Hive) * * * *1/2

15. Randy Weston & Billy Harper - The Roots of the Blues (Universal) * * * *1/2

16. Marc-André Hamelin - Busoni: Late Piano Music (Hyperion) * * * *1/2

17. Rachid Taha - Zoom (naïve) * * * *1/2

18. Joe McPhee - Nation Time: The Complete Recordings (CjR/Hat Hut, CvsD) * * * *1/2

19. Bob Dylan - Another Self Portrait: Bootleg Series Vol. 10 (1969-1971) (4CD) * * * *1/2

20. Jimi Hendrix - Miami Pop Festival (Experience Hendrix/Legacy) * * * *1/2

21. Lester Young - Boston 1950 (Uptown) * * * *1/2

22. The Band - Live at the Academy of Music 1971 (Capitol, Universal) * * * *1/2

23. Donny Hathaway - Never My Love: The Anthology (Warner Bros., Rhino) * * * *1/2

24. Miles Davis - Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2 (Sony) * * * *

25. Melodic Art-Tet (NoBusiness) * * * *

26. Stephan Oliva - Vaguement Godard (Illusions) * * * *

27. Jim Alfredson's Dirty Fingers - A Tribute to Big John Patton (Big O) * * * *

28. Dobrinka Tabakova - String Paths (ECM New Series) * * * *

29. Anne Sofie von Otter - Douce France (naïve) * * * *

30. Patricia Petibon - Poulenc: Stabat Mater; Gloria; Litanies à la Vierge noire (Paavo Järvi) (Deutsche Grammophon) * * * *

31. Kidd Jordan/Alvin Fielder/Peter Kowald - Trio and Duo in New Orleans (NoBusiness) * * * *

32. Dawn Upshaw & Maria Schneider - Winter Morning Walks (Artist Share) * * * *

33. Illinois Jacquet & Leo Parker - Toronto 1947 (Uptown) * * * *

34. Evan Parker/Barry Guy/Paul Lytton - Live at Maya Recordings Festival (NoBusiness) * * * *

35. The Convergence Quartet - Slow and Steady (NoBusiness) * * * *

36. Trixie Whitley - Fourth Corner (Strong Blood) * * * *

37. Duke Pearson - Baltimore 1969 (Uptown) * * * *

38. John Tchicai/Charlie Kohlhase/Garrison Fewell/Cecil McBee/Billy Hart - Tribal Ghost (NoBusiness) * * * *

39. Art Pepper/Warne Marsh - Art 'n' Warne (Widow's Taste, DL only) * * * *

40. Alisa Weilerstein - Elgar & Carter: Cello Concerto (Decca) * * * *

41. Elton Dean/Paul Dunmall/Paul Rogers/Tony Bianco - Remembrance (NoBusiness) * * * *

42. Natalie Dessay/Michel Legrand - Entre elle et lui: Natalie Dessay chante Michel Legrand (Erato) * * * *

43. Wayne Shorter - Without a Net (Blue Note) * * * *

44. Dupree - Nuesto Camino (Public Hi-Fi) * * * *

45. Billy Bang - Da Bang! (TUM) * * * *

46. Femi Kuti - No Place for My Dream (Label Maison/naïve) * * * *

47. Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady (Bad Boy/Wondaland) * * * *

48. Alela Diane - About Farewell (Rusted Blue) * * * *

49. Nicole Mitchell - Aquarius (Delmark) * * * *

50. Peter Evans - Zebulon (More Is More) * * * *

51. Various - Jazz Jamboree '62 (Polish Radio Jazz Archives 03) * * * *

52. Andrzej Trzaskowski - The Wreckers, Andrzej Trzaskowski Trio, Andrzej Trzaskowski Quintet (Polish Radio Jazz Archives 05) * * * *

53. Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell and Angels (Experience Hendrix/Legacy) * * * *

54. Tabea Zimmermann - Hindemith: Complete Viola Worls Vol. 1 (Myrios) * * *1/2

55. Christina Pluhar - Mediterraneo (Virgin Classics) * * *1/2

56. Anna Prohaska - Enchanted Forest (Archiv Produktion/Universal) * * *1/2

57. Julia Lezhneva - Alleluia (Decca) * * *1/2

58. Bud Powell - Live at Birdland 1957 (Marshmallow) * * *1/2

59. Thelonious Monk - Paris 1969 (Blue Note) * * *1/2

60. Walter Namuth - Left Bank '66 feat. Mickey Fields (Left Bank Jazz Society/Baltimore Jazz Alliance) * * *1/2

61. Various - Standards (Polish Radio Jazz Archives 08) * * *1/2

62. Matthew E. White - Big Inner (Domino) * * *1/2

63. Laura Mvula - Sing to the Moon (Sony/RCA) * * *1/2

64. Carrie Rodriguez - Give Me All You Got (Ninth Street Opus) * * *1/2

65. Elvis Costello & The Roots - Wise Up Ghost and Other Songs 2013 (Blue Note) * * *1/2

66. Devendra Banhart - Mala (Nonesuch) * * *

67. Various - Jazz Jamboree '62 Volume 2 (Polish Radio Jazz Archives 06) * * *

68. Various - Arrival in Poland (Polish Radio Jazz Archives 07) * * *

Not listing straight reissues like the fantastic "Symphony of the Amaranths" or "Flight for Four", the Sassy Hip-O set, the expanded "Sun Ship" (all * * * * * in my book), the Cliff Jordan Mosaic (* * * *1/2 I'd say, if it need be lumped together), the great Bea Benjamin reissue from Matsuli ("African Songbird", * * * *1/2), the Herbie box (* * * *), Brotherhood's "Procession" (slightly expanded, * * * *) or the latest batch of CAM box-sets.

Obviously, this is somewhat silly ... releases like the Monk, Bud or Namuth are fascinating, offering insights that we did not have before ... also the Miles bootleg box would need a crown or something, but then I am not all convinced by how it was put together/selected amongs the available recordings (plenty of radio material from the fall 1969 tour in Europe - and with working fender rhodes, too) ... so ...

Edited by king ubu

A very cool list, Ubu, obviously very well considered. Not that it matters, but I am in accord with most of your star ratings. A couple of questions. I've heard that the 4CD "Nation Time" box is a rather muddled affair, both sonically and programmatically. What do you think? Also surprised not to see the Barry Guy "Mad Dogs" box (more like folder) set. Did you pass on that one? Once again, a very nice list that will provide some leads to check out.

Thanks! Edited above, had some copy-pasted (instead of cut-pasted) duplicates in there (Hahn, PatKop, Hamelin and Widman were all listed where they belong and again further down).

As for "Mad Dogs" ... I missed out on the good price amazon once had and I very rarely do ebay ... it's still on the to-buy-list, but a bit too steeply priced for quick impulse-buying. I do plan to get it though.

I definitely also want Sabine Devieilhe's disc, and have the Trifonov Carnegie Recital on the way, too ... and on the pile, but as of yet unlistened, is the Mendelssohn (Fanny & Felix) disc by Quatuor Ebène as well.

Also, perusing other lists, these are things I want or ought to check out:

Barry Altschul - The 3dom Factor (TUM)

Mulatu Astatke - Sketches of Ethiopia (Jazz Village)

Taylor Ho Bynum - Navigation (The Complete Firehouse 12 Recordings) (Firehouse 12)

Kris Davis - Massive Threads (Thirsty Ear)

Kris Davis - Capricorn Climber (Clean Feed)

Barry Guy - Mad Dogs (Not Two)

Mary Halvorson - Illusionary Sea (Firehouse 12)

Andrew Hill - Solos: The Jazz Sessions (Original Spin)

Yusef Lateef/Roscoe Mitchell/Adam Rudolph/Douglas R. Ewart - Voice Print (Meeta)

Eric Revis/Kris Davis/Andrew Cyrille - City of Asylum (Clean Feed)

Roswell Rudd - Trombone for Lovers (Sunnyside)

Angelica Sanchez & Wadada Leo Smith - Twine Forest (Clean Feed)

Irène Schweizer & Pierre Favre - Live in Zürich (Intakt)

Wadada Leo Smith & Tumo - Occupy the World (TUM)

Trio 3 & Jason Moran - Refraction: Breakin' Glass (Intakt)

Frank Wess - Magic 101 (IPO)

John Zorn - Dreamachines (Tzadik)

also recent pi (and some ECM) releases ... and the Laurie Pepper stuff, too ...