Goncalo Marques, "Da vida e da morte dos animais" (Toap)

Bol

I recently found this 2010 recording by a young Portuguese trumpeter at SF Amoeba. It's a quartet recording with Bill McHenry on tenor and two Portuguese musicians forming the rhythm section. McHenry is his usual great self, and his presence is what motivated me to buy the CD unheard. But what have really impressed me, after multiple listens in the last 2 weeks, are the leader's elegant trumpet playing and his compositions, both devoid of cliches and showiness. Marques is apparently a former student of John McNeil's, and you can hear the resemblance. Marques does not have the impish humor of his teacher, but his lines are cleaner. Just a very very likable recording that wears very well over multiple listens. It is put out by a Portuguese label called Toap.

• 1 year later...

I have to say that this post made my day when I read it a while ago. Thank's! Also it's hard to believe that that CD made it to Sand Francisco... Anyway I have a new CD out, it's my usual trio with two portuguese musicians as guests on some tunes. If you give me your address I would gladly sent it to you. Another Cd should come out soon, this time with the great Jacob Sacks as a guest. Best.

Goncalo Marques