Wish List for 2014

Bill B

Bev, I got The Cheque is in the Mail ca. 1980, and as I recall it was a disappointment. I probably have it in a box somewhere, and maybe I'll make it a resolution for 2014 to find it and listen to it.

Yes, a risk you take with these long OOP things. I think I'm partly driven by its 'lost-in-action' status, partly by an OCD-like Ogun completism.

Here's another disc I'm curious about (reminded by the Oliv mentioned above).

180797481202.jpg

Has Julie Tippetts aboard.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bird, Billie, JATP and Brownie were all reissued by Universal Italy by now, so it's indeed just the Kirk that's still missing!

The Brownie I passed on for lack of funds as well. I was happy to get it via the Italians all these years later.

Even earlier there was a complete Dinah Washington on Mercury, spread over several boxes and very expensive by late-Eighties, early Nineties standards. That would be good to see reissued. Then there was the Ella songbooks, which I did get, certainly for more than £100.

Something else Universal Italy could do is a budget combo of Consecration and The Last Waltz as a Bill Evans final concerts box -- about 16 discs I think. I'd jump at that.

Edited by crisp

Oops. Thanks

Also

Complete Slim Harpo Excello Recordings

I thought that everything had been issued on Ace.

What am I missing? I've got

SlimHarpoImAKingBee-_383_383.jpg

I'm a king bee

334%2BSlim%2BHarpo.jpg

Shake your hips

SlimHarpoTipOnIn-CDC_383_383.jpg

Tip on in

best-of-slim-harpo-C_383_383.jpg

Best of (which has different takes to some cuts)

Oh - I see I haven't got this live one

SlimHarpoStingItThen_383_383.jpg

Sting it then

Better put that on my list for 2014.

Is there anything else, Guv?

MG

There's this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000005KIH/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?qid=1387325147&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Edited by blind-blake

My only wish would be that the "jazz business" recovers sufficiently, so that artists I care about don't have to struggle quite so much.

Agree

Me just wants new issues of great bands with great musicians.

Recorded by people who record the music as it is played. Like Not Two records

Top of the list would be Mat Maneri's Quintet with Oscar Noriega, Craig Taborn or Kris Davis, Ed Schuller and the great Randy Peterson.

Remains the most exciting and invigorating live ensemble I've seen over the past 3 years.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

My only wish would be that the "jazz business" recovers sufficiently, so that artists I care about don't have to struggle quite so much.

Agree

Me just wants to new issues of great bands with great musicians

Top of the list would be Mat Maneri's Quintet with Oscar Noriega, Craig Taborn or Kris Davis, Ed Schuller and the great Randy Peterson.

Remains the most exciting and invigorating live ensemble I've seen over the past 3 years.

Then put up some money and do it. That's how I started my label.

Agree

Chuck, you're the expert! How much money would it take to get started?

My personal wishes(these would save me losing some limbs to pay for the original vinyl):

Steve Lacy "torments"

Amancio D'Silva "hum dono"

Barney Wilen "zodiac"

Both Mike Taylor discs on lansdowne - these have been reissued on CD already but even these seem to have vanished

The rest of the Alan Davie albums (only the duo with Tony Oxley has been reissued on CD)

Indeed; I'm fine on the Taylor CDs but others should have the opportunity to buy them.

Bought the Davie/Oxley duo LP for very cheap years ago. It is quite interesting; the duo with Frank Perry has never materialized over the course of a longtime search...

Bad luck on copies of Zodiac here, would love one on CD or a crisp Sawano-style reissue!

I mentioned this over in the Vinyl thread, but it would be nice, if it were possible, to see a Mosaic big box of Horace Tapscott Interplay and Nimbus recordings. Also maybe some things like the Sonny Criss Orchestra, Sonny's Dream," also included.

A reissue of "The Giant is Awakened" on Flying Dutchman would be fantastic. If it couldn't be included in the box, it would be nice to see Jonathan at International Phonograph give it his usual high-quality treatment.

Oops. Thanks

Also

I'm a king bee

334%2BSlim%2BHarpo.jpg

Shake your hips

Tip on in

Sting it then

MG

There's this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000005KIH/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?qid=1387325147&sr=8-12&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

And there's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Im-King-Bee-Slim-Harpo/dp/B0054DAHZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387391550&sr=1-1&keywords=slim+harpo+I%27m+a+king+bee+flyright

A CD collection compiled from two Flyright LPs (minus three cuts) - recordings from the Jay Miller Archives which never made it it to Excello. Being a Slim Harpo completist can get pretty involved.

Some ECMs:

Gary Burton - Picture This and Easy As Pie: I have Easy As Pie, which was my first jazz-cassette purchase (made this year!). Both albums document Burton's quartet with saxophonist Jim Odgren, Steve Swallow and drummer Mike Hyman.

Steve Kuhn - Last Year's Waltz, with Sheila Jordan, Harvie S and Bob Moses. It would've made sense to reissue this live album on Life's Backwards Glances, which reissued some of Kuhn's '70s material, including Playground, a studio recording of the same group. As Kuhn says in the liner notes that he'd like to record a duo with Jordan, it'd be great to do so and release it as a two-fer.

Agree

I think Chuck's on to something here. You seem to be friendly with the musicians and have a healthy respect for their music. All of the money you shell out to see them perform could probably be put toward releasing something. :tup

Some ECMs:

Gary Burton - Picture This and Easy As Pie: I have Easy As Pie, which was my first jazz-cassette purchase (made this year!). Both albums document Burton's quartet with saxophonist Jim Odgren, Steve Swallow and drummer Mike Hyman.

Yes please. The fact that ECM is reissuing Seven Songs for Quartet and Chamber Orchestra gives me hope for more (an interesting turn as in recent times ECM has appeared to be reluctant to reissue single CDs that have never been on CD).

Oops. Thanks

Also

I'm a king bee

334%2BSlim%2BHarpo.jpg

Shake your hips

Tip on in

Sting it then

MG There's this one

And there's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Im-King-Bee-Slim-Harpo/dp/B0054DAHZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1387391550&sr=1-1&keywords=slim+harpo+I%27m+a+king+bee+flyright

A CD collection compiled from two Flyright LPs (minus three cuts) - recordings from the Jay Miller Archives which never made it it to Excello. Being a Slim Harpo completist can get pretty involved.

Precisely why we need a good box set!

Oops. Thanks

Also

I'm a king bee

334%2BSlim%2BHarpo.jpg

Shake your hips

Tip on in

Sting it then

MG There's this one

And there's this one:

Precisely why we need a good box set!

I find that a little Slim Harpo goes a long way......just my opinion.

Oops. Thanks

Also

I'm a king bee

334%2BSlim%2BHarpo.jpg

Shake your hips

Tip on in

Sting it then

MG

There's this one

Never heard of that one, either. Thanks.

MG

Three Wayne Shorter discs I'd like to hear:

• Moto Grosso Feio 1970 Blue Note
  • Odyssey of Iska 1970 Blue Note
  • Native Dancer with Milton Nascimento 1974 Columbia
The first two I've never heard. The third I have a CD copy of with dreadful pitch changes in places. I know it's appeared in corrected form inside a Columbia box in 2013 but it would be nice to see the rubbish version withdrawn and replaced with a single mp3 decent version.

• 1 month later...

And if Universal Italy would do budget reissues of Roland Kirk on Mercury, complete Ella and Duke at the Cote d'Azure and Bud Powell on Verve I'd be very happy.

Well I got one of my wishes for 2014 already: the Bud Powell Verve box has had a budget reissue from Universal Italy. It's £16.13 at Amazon UK.

Anybody else had any wishes granted yet? Might be nice to post them here as and when/if they come up.

Complete Savoy recordings of Bill Barron (with Motivation)

Complete Charles Mingus Recordings with Don Pullen and George Adams (with unissued Carnegie Hall material left off their Columbia record)

Complete Charles Williams Mainstream Recordings

Complete Lou Donaldson - Chewy phone recordings

Me too, I was at that concert!