Bill B

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freddie McCoy Prestige years

Carlos Garnett Muse years

Cannonball Adderley - unreissued Capitol years

Dave Bailey - Epic years properly remastered (Sony Japan is starting a reissue campaign in February and the Charlie Rouse and Curtis Fuller Epics have been announced, hopefully the Bailey's will be part of a future wave - for those interested in what else is forthcoming you can search by the catalog number SICP on HMV Japan).

More Hat Huts from Corbett & Dempsey-- Joe McPhee, Phillip Wilson, et al.

Obviously Braxton Santa Cruz & Willisau and Cecil Taylor - Garden

Black Saint/Soul Note box sets from any of the following -- Billy Bang, Jon Lindberg, Ran Blake, Steve Lacy groups, Borah Bergman, Roscoe Mitchell, Andrew Hill

Repress of Jemeel Moondoc - Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys from Eremite. I would be interested to know why they haven't done this.

On the waaay far-fetched end of things, some of Steve Lacy's Japanese titles-- Stalks, The Wire, Journey Without End ...

Hum Dono

Lee Konitz Complete Verve

In the real world, I'm looking forward to the Ira Sullivan and Hal Russell CDs from Nessa, Horace Tapscott - The Giant is Awakened from International Phonograph, and whatever No Business has up their sleeves.

Oh, and the Marte Roling Fontanas,

My personal wishes(these would save me losing some limbs to pay for the original vinyl):

Steve Lacy "torments"

Amancio D'Silva "hum dono"

Barney Wilen "zodiac"

Both Mike Taylor discs on lansdowne - these have been reissued on CD already but even these seem to have vanished

The rest of the Alan Davie albums (only the duo with Tony Oxley has been reissued on CD)

Edited by Homefromtheforest

Erroll Garner-Complete Columbia recordings 1950-57

Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note recordings 1963-69

Wayne Shorter Blue Note recordings 1964-1970

Feel free to add to it.

Not to be that guy, but the Shorter and Huchterson music has all been on CD and 95% is still in-print.

I do wonder why Mosaic never did a Hutcherson 60s box or a Sonny Clark box in the 80s/early 90s before BN put out most of the stuff on CD.

My personal wishes(these would save me losing some limbs to pay for the original vinyl):

Steve Lacy "torments"

Amancio D'Silva "hum dono"

Barney Wilen "zodiac"

Both Mike Taylor discs on lansdowne - these have been reissued on CD already but even these seem to have vanished

The rest of the Alan Davie albums (only the duo with Tony Oxley has been reissued on CD)

Never hera dof that Lacy, nor of Alan Davie ... but I'd be in for the d'Silva, Wilen and Taylors, for sure! And I throw in the Oxleys and Rileys that were on CD but have vanished, too.

More Hat Huts from Corbett & Dempsey-- Joe McPhee, Phillip Wilson, et al.

Obviously Braxton Santa Cruz & Willisau and Cecil Taylor - Garden

Black Saint/Soul Note box sets from any of the following -- Billy Bang, Jon Lindberg, Ran Blake, Steve Lacy groups, Borah Bergman, Roscoe Mitchell, Andrew Hill

Repress of Jemeel Moondoc - Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys from Eremite. I would be interested to know why they haven't done this.

On the waaay far-fetched end of things, some of Steve Lacy's Japanese titles-- Stalks, The Wire, Journey Without End ...

Hum Dono

Lee Konitz Complete Verve

In the real world, I'm looking forward to the Ira Sullivan and Hal Russell CDs from Nessa, Horace Tapscott - The Giant is Awakened from International Phonograph, and whatever No Business has up their sleeves.

Oh, and the Marte Roling Fontanas,

I guess I'd get each and any of those in your list! But "in the real world", there won't be no Marte Röling Fontanas, I assume?

The Konitz Verve would have been a charming Mosaic, also the Giuffre Verve, but the crappitycrapirates have pretty much outruled those, I'm afraid ... alas!

:tup on the McCoy!

Add Freddie Roach Blue Notes to that.

As for Cannonball, I'd love a huge sucker, like the Columbia/Sony Herbie Hancock box! Warts and all...

More like "when hell freezes over" wish lists:

Yusef Lateef Impulse Years

Don Byas Small Group 40s 50s recordings

Any LEGIT Horo reissues

:tup :tup :tup

Klaus Doldinger - Blues Happening

:tup

so, why have all the quote headers disappeared? they were there before i hit "post" ... ah, well ...

:tup on the McCoy!

Add Freddie Roach Blue Notes to that.

As for Cannonball, I'd love a huge sucker, like the Columbia/Sony Herbie Hancock box! Warts and all...

Yes indeed! Especially Cannonball's Capitol recordings, warts & all.

MG

That's what I meant, actually ... no need for the Riversides (and the Riverside/Capitol/Landmarks), those were all covered, I think? A 1964.-1970 set would be it ... even better if they could throw in the final ones on Milestone (which I've still not heard, shame on me).

I think you mean Fantasy, not Milestone, Ubu.

MG

Modern Jazz Quartet - Blues At Carnegie Hall (the last Atlantic album not yet in my collection - used copies of the Master Recording vinyl reissue go for high prices, and I won't buy the odd Collectables pairing with Blakey/Monk; I hope the Warner Japan seroies will cover this)

Duke Ellington on Columbia 1949-1952 (?) i.e. the period after Victor and before Capitol - would be nice to have it all in recording order.

Yes to Ellington! I think there's be more from later in the fifties that never made it to regular albums?

There are a few still awaiting proper reissue:

A Drum Is A Woman

Peer Gynt Suite

Nutcracker Suite

Suite Thursday

Bal Masque

Jazz at the Plaza

Most of these were on French CDs, but all deserve the definitive treatment.

Palm ... yeah, a nice set of Jef Gilson music, too!

:tup:tup

Some of the Jef Gilson archives have been released recently by Jazzman records:

http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/jef-gilson-archives-cd

but I too would love to see those marvellous Palm albums given a re-issue program.

Wow thanks for posting that link! I was completely unaware of this CD...looks very interesting and that little video on the website made me drool a bit to see all those reels of tape!

I have pretty much all the Palm albums but would certainly welcome CD reissues if they came with extra tracks and such...the few Malagasy albums in particular have long been favorites of mine.

I stumbled over that Gilson disc whils browsing amazon a few days ago ... what does it contain? The link says "reissue", is it a compilation of previously released cuts or is it an archival release of newly dug up material, as the title suggests?

Re: Ellington - I was thinking of those 1956-62 LP sets ... was that stuff all added to matching albums when the Legacy reissues of the late 90s and early 00s came out?

I stumbled over that Gilson disc whils browsing amazon a few days ago ... what does it contain? The link says "reissue", is it a compilation of previously released cuts or is it an archival release of newly dug up material, as the title suggests?

It's bits and pieces but very enjoyable.

It's described on the cover as "A collection of previoulsy unreleased recordings, rehearsals, demos and alternate takes from the personal archive of the brilliant French jazz innovator."

Another other album of his, again released by Jazzman Records, is a "best of" compilation, which again is well worth getting:

http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/the-best-of-jef-gilson-cd

Edited by Head Man