Wish List for 2014

Bill B

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complete Savoy recordings of Bill Barron (with Motivation)

Complete Charles Mingus Recordings with Don Pullen and George Adams (with unissued Carnegie Hall material left off their Columbia record)

Complete Charles Williams Mainstream Recordings

Complete Lou Donaldson - Chewy phone recordings

Edited by blind-blake

Complete Savoy recordings of Bill Barron (with Motivation)

Complete Charles Mingus Recordings with Don Pullen and George Adams (with unissued Carnegie Hall material left off their Columbia record)

Complete Charles Williams Mainstream Recordings

Complete Lou Donaldson - Chewy phone recordings

Mingus at Carnegie Hall is on Atlantic.

There's one other Jef Gilson that's available direct from Futura/Marge Records in France.

It's not possible to link direct to the album, but link to this:

http://futuramarge.free.fr/

click on the "Futura" button and then click on "Musiciens".

Scroll down to Jef Gilson and you'll find details of the album - "Sahib Shihab + Gilson Unit". There's a sound sample of one of the tracks to check whether it's something you'll like.S

Afew I'd like to hear:

6721487d081963d89b36cd7cd47a7573.jpgeltondeanbo.jpgMike+Osborne%2FStan+Tracey+-+Tandem+-+LP41d0QL2hSCL.jpg

And one I'd dearly like a CD copy of, without the LP surface noise that has spoilt the record for me since it's release:

$(KGrHqJ,!nYFJOzLyW)IBSWoeCKsBw~~60_35.J

Prefer them as single disc releases rather than as part of megalopoboxsets.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yes to Ellington! I think there's be more from later in the fifties that never made it to regular albums?

There are a few still awaiting proper reissue:

A Drum Is A Woman

Peer Gynt Suite

Nutcracker Suite

Suite Thursday

Bal Masque

Jazz at the Plaza

Most of these were on French CDs, but all deserve the definitive treatment.

I think the three suites are still available on a cd called "3 Suites". Bal Masque was issued without the fake applause as part of the Sony '51-'58 box set. But it would be great to see Jazz at the Plaza as well as a collection of all the singles he did for Columbia after '49. (I've never even heard The Asphalt Jungle Twist.)

I'd also love to see a cd reissue of the entire Gil Evans at the Royal Albert Hall. Part of it was on an RCA Lp and the rest of it on Mole Jazz and none of it has been on cd as far as I know.

Yes to Ellington! I think there's be more from later in the fifties that never made it to regular albums?

There are a few still awaiting proper reissue:

A Drum Is A Woman

Peer Gynt Suite

Nutcracker Suite

Suite Thursday

Bal Masque

Jazz at the Plaza

Most of these were on French CDs, but all deserve the definitive treatment.

I think the three suites are still available on a cd called "3 Suites". Bal Masque was issued without the fake applause as part of the Sony '51-'58 box set. But it would be great to see Jazz at the Plaza as well as a collection of all the singles he did for Columbia after '49. (I've never even heard The Asphalt Jungle Twist.)

I'd also love to see a cd reissue of the entire Gil Evans at the Royal Albert Hall. Part of it was on an RCA Lp and the rest of it on Mole Jazz and none of it has been on cd as far as I know.

A Drum Is A Woman and Bal Masque are also on the Sony '51-58 set.

I wish that they'd reissue the Steve Lacy Scratching the Seventies box.

Also, Chick Corea - The Song of Singing. In fact a Blue Note Corea box could be quite cool, could include Circulus and Circling In which i don't believe has ever been on CD. Dammit this just became something that i really want that will probably never happen.

Is the Lacy "Scratching the Seventies" that hard to find? When it was offered it was really inexpensive for a package mailed from France. I received mine on August 1, 2003 and this is during a time I had no money to spend on "extras".

Maybe they underpriced it and ....

If that was the case they would have reissued it.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

The only thing this world needs is for somebody to come along and do legit reissues of the Fontana New Jazz Series and the Horo label. Everything else fades into insignificance.

a big second for the Fontana New Jazz Series with those stunning Marte Rolling covers

re the Lacy "Scratching" set - picked up my copy in 1999 from Forced Exposure for $40 - I remember it being not easy to source (for Australia) even then

Just to put Scratching the Seventies lack of availability in to perspective, i've been looking for a few years now and any time i've looked on Amazon there hasn't been a single seller entry, not even something like a second hand copy going for $1000.00 or something ridiculous. Nada, zip, zilcho. It might pop up on ebay every now and again but i've found it to be non-existent online any time i've looked. Zero buying options. That is, coincidentally, until today when all of a sudden there is a second hand listing for $79.95. Funny thing is i know it went up today as I checked it this morning and there was nothing there as usual... now all of a sudden there is a listing... funny.

re: Corea, I once proposed that stuff as a Select to Mosaic ... and got a reply (from MC) that this was a good idea ... however, we all know the fate of the Selects.

and yeah, I'd love to get the Lacy set, too!

The fact that it was apparently considered by Mosaic makes it all the more frustrating. Sigh.

Just to put Scratching the Seventies lack of availability in to perspective, i've been looking for a few years now and any time i've looked on Amazon there hasn't been a single seller entry, not even something like a second hand copy going for $1000.00 or something ridiculous. Nada, zip, zilcho. It might pop up on ebay every now and again but i've found it to be non-existent online any time i've looked. Zero buying options. That is, coincidentally, until today when all of a sudden there is a second hand listing for $79.95. Funny thing is i know it went up today as I checked it this morning and there was nothing there as usual... now all of a sudden there is a listing... funny.

Two copies for sale on Discogs for $40 + shipping. Both in the US.