Wish List for 2014

Bill B

Ornette has vetoed those titles. That's the reason.

Re. Corea: Song of Singing is available on CD, albeit at import price, with 'Drone' from Circulus added (I think). Much or all of Circling In is on Early Circle, and some added to Song of Singing. That leaves you with three sides of Circulus, which will never be a priority release, I shoudn't think.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to put Scratching the Seventies lack of availability in to perspective, i've been looking for a few years now and any time i've looked on Amazon there hasn't been a single seller entry, not even something like a second hand copy going for $1000.00 or something ridiculous. Nada, zip, zilcho. It might pop up on ebay every now and again but i've found it to be non-existent online any time i've looked. Zero buying options. That is, coincidentally, until today when all of a sudden there is a second hand listing for $79.95. Funny thing is i know it went up today as I checked it this morning and there was nothing there as usual... now all of a sudden there is a listing... funny.

Two copies for sale on Discogs for $40 + shipping. Both in the US.

Thanks! Of course now that i've ranted about it there's reasonable buying options galore (insert embarrassed emoticon here).

Ornette has vetoed those titles. That's the reason.

Re. Corea: Song of Singing is available on CD, albeit at import price, with 'Drone' from Circulus added (I think). Much or all of Circling In is on Early Circle, and some added to Song of Singing. That leaves you with three sides of Circulus, which will never be a priority release, I shoudn't think.

Thanks for the info. One day if it comes down to it i might shell out for an import or other copy of Song Of Singing... problem is i really want it but just not that badly... yet. The price of a normal, in print Blue Note CD would be just about right. Early Circle has fallen under the 'CDR On Demand' curse, although i'm sure if i put the effort in i could try to track down a non-CDR copy. Apologies if i'm coming off in a Gimme Gimme Gimme kind of way in this thread, i think i'll be backing away slowly now...

Afew I'd like to hear:

And one I'd dearly like a CD copy of, without the LP surface noise that has spoilt the record for me since it's release:

$(KGrHqJ,!nYFJOzLyW)IBSWoeCKsBw~~60_35.J

Hmmm - My LP copy sounds pristine. Cost no more than a fiver too. Agree that it merits a CD though.

New Jazz Orchestra 'Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe' now long overdue on CD. 'Phil Seamen Live' (both Verve) too..

Edited by sidewinder

Some added to Now He Sings, Now He Sobs, I should have said.

And hey I agree Song of Singing merits a domestic reissue - never understood why it didn't get one.

"Song of Singing" was on regular CD, I think ... can't check my copy right now, but here's an entry for US, 1987:

http://www.discogs.com/Chick-Corea-The-Song-Of-Singing/release/1832759

There you see it adds "Blues Connotation" (track B4 from "Circling In", A1-5 and B1-3 are the bonus tracks on "Now He Sings"), and then there's indeed "Drone" (side A of "Circulus").

I've been totally unaware of the CD "Early Circle" - will need to get it, as I don't have "Circling In" on vinyl ... the remains of that twofer are indeed all to be found on "Early Circle"! It adds "Percussion Piece" (D2 from "Circulus", the only short track on that twofer) at the end.

So the missing bits are "Quartet Piece" nos. 1-3 (sides B, C and track D1 of "Circulus"). I'm covered there, as "Circulus" is the one I've actually got on vinyl (punchholed, but in good shape).

I'm also covered on the Ornette (again both punchholed or saw-cutted), "Crisis" indeed easily ranks among his ten best albums! And I gather there'd be more material around from that concert - too bad, really!

Oh, and thanks Head Man, I do have that Shihab/Gilson disc!

Afew I'd like to hear:

And one I'd dearly like a CD copy of, without the LP surface noise that has spoilt the record for me since it's release:

Hmmm - My LP copy sounds pristine. Cost no more than a fiver too. Agree that it merits a CD though.

I bought it back in 1978 when it came out. First copy had fried eggs underneath so returned it. Second was only mildly better. These were the dark days of flimsy vinyl. Maybe Nottingham HMV got a bad batch.

Afew I'd like to hear:

I bought it back in 1978 when it came out. First copy had fried eggs underneath so returned it. Second was only mildly better. These were the dark days of flimsy vinyl. Maybe Nottingham HMV got a bad batch.

Pye Records - always iffy at the best of times. Must have been lucky with mine I guess.

From Mosaic my wishes are the usual:

Complete Sonny Stitt on Verve
Complete Illinois Jacquet on Verve/Argo
Complete Shorty Rogers on RCA
Complete Fats Waller

From Sony I'd like original album boxes of Andre Previn's jazz albums, live Dave Brubeck, the later Ellington Columbia albums and a budget reissue of the complete Ellington RCA box.

Now that Capitol is owned by Universal I'd like sensibly organised complete and remastered sets of Frank Sinatra on Capitol and all of Peggy Lee.

And if Universal Italy would do budget reissues of Roland Kirk on Mercury, complete Ella and Duke at the Cote d'Azure and Bud Powell on Verve I'd be very happy.

Oops. Thanks

Also

Complete Slim Harpo Excello Recordings

I thought that everything had been issued on Ace.

What am I missing? I've got

SlimHarpoImAKingBee-_383_383.jpg

I'm a king bee

334%2BSlim%2BHarpo.jpg

Shake your hips

SlimHarpoTipOnIn-CDC_383_383.jpg

Tip on in

best-of-slim-harpo-C_383_383.jpg

Best of (which has different takes to some cuts)

Oh - I see I haven't got this live one

SlimHarpoStingItThen_383_383.jpg

Sting it then

Better put that on my list for 2014.

Is there anything else, Guv?

MG

From Mosaic my wishes are the usual:

Complete Sonny Stitt on Verve

Complete Illinois Jacquet on Verve/Argo

Complete Shorty Rogers on RCA

Complete Fats Waller

The Stitt and Jacquet won't happen, I guess ... too much stuff available on various cheapo PD outfits. Not sure about Rogers ... was actually hoping for a second JSP box to arrive. As for Waller, JSP covers it all, I think? Sure, these aren't coffee table sets or anything, but they're more than I really need (I got them all, but have never so far made my way through the huge amount of music).

From Sony I'd like original album boxes of Andre Previn's jazz albums, live Dave Brubeck, the later Ellington Columbia albums and a budget reissue of the complete Ellington RCA box.

Now that Capitol is owned by Universal I'd like sensibly organised complete and remastered sets of Frank Sinatra on Capitol and all of Peggy Lee.

I'd be in for budget boxes à la Legacy/Popmarket, for these, but not for lavish deluxe stuff ... then rather make it single album reissues.

I'd very much love the live Brubeck set indeed - let's hope the studio sold good enough that the live set will indeed follow (it was mentioned around here a few times, not sure if it's actually planned or considered an option of if that was just others wishing for it). They ought to add the Mulligan albums folowing Desmond's departure with the live set, though, please please please!

And if Universal Italy would do budget reissues of Roland Kirk on Mercury, complete Ella and Duke at the Cote d'Azure and Bud Powell on Verve I'd be very happy.

I've got those ... bought the Ella/Duke a while ago - still unplayed, it's around, but not cheaply ... the Kirk would indeed be welcome, seems lots of potential buyers don't have it. If the Brownie set is any indication, it should be a possibility.

Fantasy list:

Bob Brookmeyer Verve sessions

Jimmy Giuffre Verve sessions

Lars Gullin & Bengt Hallberg Metronome sessions

Lars Gullin & Bengt Hallberg Phillips sessions

Joe Harriott Jazzland & Columbia sessions

Masahiro Kikuchi 1990's trio sessions with Gary Peacock & Paul Motian

Steve Lacy 1960s & '70s trio & quartet recordings

New York Art Quartet, "Call It Art" in a reasonably priced CD edition.

Jimmy Raney ABC-Paramount sessions

Sonny Rollins-Don Cherry 1963 European tour sessions

Lucky Thompson ABC-Paramount sessions

Edited by Bol

I'll add my voice to Kirk. Though if I'm so keen why didn't I buy the original box - ?

I remember it as one of the earliest big boxes, like the Charlie Parker on Verve, so for me it was too expensive at the time (early Nineties when I was a student). I passed on the Parker for the same reason. The first big box I got was probably Billie Holiday on Verve. It felt like a big outlay -- but it was worth it.

I'll add my voice to Kirk. Though if I'm so keen why didn't I buy the original box - ?

I remember it as one of the earliest big boxes, like the Charlie Parker on Verve, so for me it was too expensive at the time (early Nineties when I was a student). I passed on the Parker for the same reason. The first big box I got was probably Billie Holiday on Verve. It felt like a big outlay -- but it was worth it.

Yeah ... the Brownie, the Kirk, the Bird, the Billie ... all big 10CD suckers, all going for hefty prices (not sure about measuring/comparing to anything of today's time makes sense ... I paid 200 to 250 CHF for them, but the $ was worth more and the € didn't even exist). I saved up for each of the four ... in fact I had a list, on a small piece of paper, of the box-sets I wanted (other than Mosaics, which I bought after doing jobs on school holidays ... crazy kid, going to work to buy saxophones and CDs). The Kirk and Brownie were among the first ones I got ... don't think I knew any other Kirk than Mingus' "Oh Yeah!" and the old twofer with "Rip, Rig and Panic" and the one Verve album ... with Brownie it was "Study in Brown" and the live recordings with Blakey that made me want to get it all. These boxes just had to be, even though each one of them meant at least 2 days' work on the lousy salary I got!

The JATP was too rich for me, but I snagged it up years later, when a slightly beat-up copy was on offer for less than half the usual going price ... it had been on display in the shop for years and the booklet was broken open in one place and showing wear around the edges, but I was still a happy camper!

The Bird, Billie, JATP and Brownie were all reissued by Universal Italy by now, so it's indeed just the Kirk that's still missing!

The usual suspects which are all long overdue for reissue...

Joe Harriott - Hum Dono
New Jazz Orchestra - Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe
Guy Warren - Afro-Jazz
Stan Tracey - Seven Ages of Man
Stan Tracey - We Love You Madly
Ronnie Scott - Serious Gold
Mike Gibbs - In the Public Interest
Tony Oxley - Ichnos
Ian Carr - Jeff Clyne Quartet - Springboard
Spontenous Music Ensemble - Oliv
John Stevens Away - All the Vertigo albums

just one of the above reissued would make my year!

The usual suspects which are all long overdue for reissue...

Joe Harriott - Hum Dono

New Jazz Orchestra - Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe

Guy Warren - Afro-Jazz

Stan Tracey - Seven Ages of Man

Stan Tracey - We Love You Madly

Ronnie Scott - Serious Gold

Mike Gibbs - In the Public Interest

Tony Oxley - Ichnos

Ian Carr - Jeff Clyne Quartet - Springboard

Spontenous Music Ensemble - Oliv

John Stevens Away - All the Vertigo albums

just one of the above reissued would make my year!

And any of the first 3 would cause more than a few cardiac arrests !

Second the two Stan Tracey's and the 'Springboard'.

Edited by sidewinder

I'll add my voice to Kirk. Though if I'm so keen why didn't I buy the original box -

That Kirk Mercury box was the very first CD box I ever bought - hadn't even heard of Mosaic back then. It was over $100 Cdn at the time, which felt like a King's Ransom (but one you just had to pay). The Clifford Brown box was the next..