Horace Silver 1928-2014

Mike Schwartz

One of my all time favorites. It seemed like just yesterday that we were mourning the passing of Marian McPartland leaving (I believe) only three wonderful and iconic musicians from the famous Art Kane photograph "A Great Day in Harlem" -- Benny Golson, Sonny Rollins and Horace. Heartbreakingly, now Horace has left us as well. One of the most swinging pianists I ever heard and a heck of a composer to boot. I was lucky enough to have met him once at the Central Pennsylvania Friends of Jazz Festival in the mid 90s. A great musician and an even greater gentleman and citizen of the world. You will be missed.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one of my all time favorites is gone. Back in the 50's when I first became interested in jazz, the Cafe Bohemia records with Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Hank Mobley, Kenny Dorham and Doug Watkins grabbed me hard and I still love those sessions.

If Horace Silver is on a recording I will undoubtably like it.

My major recollection of seeing the Horace Silver Quintet dates back to 1957. I had been doing my Army basic training at Fort Riley, Kansas.when the initial training period ended I was entitled to a leave and headed home to Detroit by train. It was necessary to change trains in Chicago and A friend and I decided to spend a night in Chicago before continuing to Detroit. We learned that the Horace Silver Quintet was playing at the Sutherland Lounge. A cab took us there and we spent a glorious evening listening to Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Horace Silver, Gene Taylor, and Louis Hayes. It was a special experience that has stayed with me all these years later.

Expecting something doesn't make it easier to accept when it happens. This really, really sucks.

I am remembering Horace with this concert from Wolfgang's - a great show including a cooking version of Me and My Baby, when it was quite fresh in the repertoire.

http://www.concertvault.com/horace-silver-quintet/newport-jazz-festival-july-02-1960.html

Wikipedia is now giving date of death as 2013-12-17, which I think means 17.12.2013.

Time again to remember Horace's fine autobiography:

9780520243743.jpg

From NPR's A Blog Supreme Twitter feed:

NPR has spoken with Horace Silver's son, Gregory. Horace Silver is ALIVE, "drinking coffee and eating breakfast right now."

In that case, I'd rather believe NPR than Wikipedia.

Another great one gone ..... too many this year, especially pianists. I bought his autobiography only a few weeks ago, didn't find the time to read it so far. There was a time when I listened to some of his Blue Note sides every day and hummed along. His tunes were jazz in the truest sense of the word. I even love his later Blue Notes with electric piano, vocals, and larger bands - have them all. He left us so much music with a truly positive message - who's gonna do this now? R.I.P. in the eternal nitty gritty, while we grind on in the earthly domains. Thanks for everything.

p.s. just a rumor? Wouldn't be the first time - even Haydn was announced dead in his later years. Hope he's well and enjoying his days.