Horace Silver 1928-2014

Mike Schwartz

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

horace: regardless of where you are, know that we all love and appreciate you and how your art has enriched our lives. we'll never, ever forget you.

i had the good fortune to see (and meet) horace twice. i guess he's the only blue note legend that i've ever personally met. once was at a club where he was playing in support of one of the impulse projects. i was with a friend who played in stan kenton's trombone section many moons ago. between sets, this friend engaged horace in a conversation. horance sat with us for about half an hour. initially the conversation was over time signatures but then it just went everywhere. his spirit, good nature, laugh, smile, and just sheer love really made a deep impression on me. the second meeting was, if i recall correctly, at a signing for his autobiography. again, he was equally affable and happy with life. these two experiences left me with no doubt that horace silver was/is a conscious and realized soul.

Guys,

I don't want to venture to far into personal business but after a day of responding to a false rumor, are we sure that Horace has Alzheimer's?

Who is our reputable source for this?

As far as I know and from I've heard from people who have been around him the past few years (and there haven't been many), there has been no indication that he has Alzheimer's and if he does, he is certainly not in the advanced stages. I could be wrong but I have heard nothing definitive about this so if it's not true, it would be sad to perpetuate this.....

I don't think he is enjoying his days, he's suffering from Alzheimer's disease !

I'm caring for two persons who have the disease to one extent or another. There is still enjoyment in their lives.

That doesn't count for every person with AD. Symptoms for patients with Alzheimer's disease: most commonly delusions, nonspecific agitation, and diurnal rhythm disturbances. The most are very, very afraid for everything.

Edited by Cyril

My 2 cents:

Seeing RIP in the headline even with (rumor) alongside is disconcerting and easily reads as if his life or death remains unknown, when, in fact it has been confirmed that he's alive. If the thread is to remain, the head should be adjusted to simply "Horace Silver" or "Horace Silver Is Alive" or something ...

Guys,

I don't want to venture to far into personal business but after a day of responding to a false rumor, are we sure that Horace has Alzheimer's?

Who is our reputable source for this?

As far as I know and from I've heard from people who have been around him the past few years (and there haven't been many), there has been no indication that he has Alzheimer's and if he does, he is certainly not in the advanced stages. I could be wrong but I have heard nothing definitive about this so if it's not true, it would be sad to perpetuate this.....

Thanks David. This sounds better than anything (all rumours!) I've heard about Silver in the past several years.

No matter what, props to Horace Silver and eternal gratitude for all the wonderful music he's given to us.

My 2 cents:

Seeing RIP in the headline even with (rumor) alongside is disconcerting and easily reads as if his life or death remains unknown, when, in fact it has been confirmed that he's alive. If the thread is to remain, the head should be adjusted to simply "Horace Silver" or "Horace Silver Is Alive" or something ...

Fixed.

Activist jazz fans should see to it that the man and his music are properly represented here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_obituaries

My 2 cents:

Fixed.

Activist jazz fans should see to it that the man and his music are properly represented here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_premature_obituaries

Wiki had Horace RIP early this morning and took it down.

I think this thread is a good reminder that no matter how "trusted" your source is, do not start an obituary thread until you can verify with a reliable and identifiable source.

And oh yeah, I was right. :beee:

I'm not sure which brand of coffee Horace drinks but it sure seems to have done him a world of good. Hearing that 'news' last night was utterly miserable for me and I'm sure for the many people around the world who love Horace and his music. I hope a lesson was learned as far as posting obit. threads based on something you heard from someone you 'think' would know. A few people owe Horace and his family and friends an apology. I note Jazzwise have done the decent thing.

Edited by Imeanyou

In the spirit of celebrating the falsity of this rumor, let's have a laugh at the Google Translate version of the retraction: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.newswhip.com/MoreInfo/Jazzpianist-Horace-Silver-niet-overleden/83538624&prev=/search%3Fq%3DJazzpianist%2BHorace%2BSilver%2Bniet%2Boverleden%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DaDo%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26channel%3Drcs

Jazz pianist Horace Silver is not deceased '

American jazz pianist Horace Silver would be after a long illness at the age of 85 are deceased, but has since been denied his death.

Again, I'm only posting this because Horace is alive and well after all...and because that's some funny Goggle Translate, right there, no matter who it would have been about. Would be, but not...and DENIED!

David, the reason I brought up Alzheimer's is because a few years ago, it was a Christian McBride blog where he reported Horace was suffering from the disease. I then recall reading somewhere (maybe here?) he no longer remembered how to play the piano or that he wrote all that music. I am truly VERY sorry for bringing up the topic. I love Horace's music dearly as a fan, and would never impinge on his private life.

Edited by CJ Shearn

FWIW

The McBride Diaries (Vol.22)
Posted on 3/22/2007at 5:37 AM

[...]

After IAJE, I headed out to LA to start a series of performances for the LA Philharmonic. The first concert was a very, very special one - an all-star tribute to Horace Silver. [...] It was a tremendous occasion as Mr. Silver, who's suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, was there to enjoy his night.

Source.

F

FWIW

[...]

After IAJE, I headed out to LA to start a series of performances for the LA Philharmonic. The first concert was a very, very special one - an all-star tribute to Horace Silver. [...] It was a tremendous occasion as Mr. Silver, who's suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, was there to enjoy his night.

Source.

F

FWIW

[...]

Source.

F

FWIW

[...]

Source.

F

Thank you! the blog I was referencing.

The thing with Priester was a hoax? I seem to recall a FB campaign to raise money either for medical expenses or so he could stay in his home.

no, that wasnt the hoax, the hoax was very early this yr, jan or feb- rip julian appeared on a blog of some sort, next morn it was all over my f'book feed, the next day, was declared completly untrue.