Horace Silver 1928-2014

Mike Schwartz

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sad that I never got to see/hear Horace's quintet live. They used to appear regularly over hear at Ronnie Scott's club (at least until the 1980s) but I was never in town to catch them. I think Horace must have really scaled back his touring in later years as well.

In 1969 the Horace Silver Quintet with the Brecker brothers and Billy Cobham were part of a package with the Muddy Waters Blues Band and a gospel group (Stars of Faith?) which I saw at the Batley (near Leeds) Variety Club, of all places. Couldn't get enough of the Silver band, so followed them to London and saw them at Scott's a couple of days later. Sat right up front for one of the most memorable jazz sessions I've been at. Horace and and Billy really had somethin' goin'! All very different from the studio atmosphere of Blue Note Records.

Must have been a great experience for sure......

Damn - Batley Variety Club. To think that I was less than 10 miles away at the time - and way too young to get in. :(

In 1957 I was in the US Army and had just finished my basic training at Ft. Riley, KS. Had a leave and took the train heading back home to Detroit. Needed to change trains in Chicago. Was with 2 friends who both liked jazz, one of whom lived in Chicago. By chance we discovered that The Horace Silver Quintet with Blue Mitchell and Junior Cook was playing at the Sutherland Lounge on the south side.

We decided to go and hear Horace. it was a fantastic evening of music, and may have been the only time I heard Horace Silver live.

I didn't realize that Billy Mitchell was playing with Horace in 1957. Most biographies say he was in Miami until 1958.

Not sure where you came up with Billy Mitchell in my post? Look again and you will see that I wrote BLUE mitchell.

I meant to type Blue Mitchell. Most *Blue* Mitchell biographies list him as being in Miami until 1958.

I share the love for the Soul Sister and Cape Verdean Blues albums. There is a ballad on the former that I love. (Don't have the title in front of me).

So much great music for so many years of my life.

RIP.

The ballad is called "Next TIme I Fall in Love" one of my favorite Horace tunes as well!

Not that there's anything too new in the sound, but for me a recent discovery is You Gotta Take a Little Love. This is pretty much my last Silver record (chronologically) in my collection until It's Got to be Funky. It dates from 1969, and the band is Randy Brecker, Bennie Maupin, and Billy Cobham (forget the bassist). Still very much in the Blue Note

sound mode, and you'd never guess that Maupin and Cobham would soon be contributors to Miles' fusion sound.

Randy Brecker was quite a contributor to Silver's music (over a long period), and he sounds great here; and he and Maupin sound so tight.

The tunes are very happy and infectious.

Edited by Milestones