Prestige 7000 Series on SHM-CD

ArtSalt

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just got this in the mail ... are these (some of) the ones you mean?

Phil Woods & Donald Byrd/The Young Bloods[sHM-CD]
CD
1800 yen US$17.06/EUR 12.65
Release Date:2014/02/19
Description:Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included.
Mose Allison/Back Country Suite[sHM-CD]
CD
Release Date:2014/03/19
Description:Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included.
Jimmy Raney/A[sHM-CD]
CD
Red Garland/Red Garlan'S Piano[sHM-CD]
CD
Gene Ammons/Funky[sHM-CD]
CD
Ray Draper/Tuba Sounds[sHM-CD]
CD
The Prestige All Stars/Olio[sHM-CD]
CD
Description:Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included. Part of three-album The Prestige All Stars reissue series features the albums, "All Day Long," "All Night Long," and "Olio."
The Prestige All Stars/All Night Long[sHM-CD]
CD
Description:Features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format (compatible with standard CD players). *The DVD disc is encoded for region 2 (Japan, Europe, and Middle East), and no subtitles are included. Part of three-album The Prestige All Stars reissue series features the albums, "All Day Long," "All Night Long," and "Olio."
Miles Davis/Walkin'[sHM-CD]
CD
James Moody/Moody[sHM-CD]
CD
Sonny Stitt/Kaleidoscope[sHM-CD]
CD
Moondog/The Story Of Moondog[sHM-CD]
CD
Mal Waldron/Mal-1[sHM-CD]
CD
Billy Taylor/Billy Taylor Trio At Towk Hall[sHM-CD]
CD
Hank Mobley/Mobley's 2nd Message[sHM-CD]
CD
Al Cohn, Hank Mobley, John Coltrane, Zoot Sims/Tenor Conclave[sHM-CD]
CD
Art Farmer, Donald Byrd, Idrees Sulieman/Three Trumpets[sHM-CD]
CD
The Prestige All Stars/All Day Long[sHM-CD]
CD
Barbara Lea/Lea In Love[sHM-CD]
CD
Jackie McLean/Jackie Mclean & Co.[sHM-CD]
CD
Miles Davis/Cookin' With The Miles Davis Quintet[sHM-CD]
CD
Kenny Burrell/Kenny Burrell[sHM-CD]
CD
Sonny Rollins/Saxophone Colossis[sHM-CD]
CD
Nicola Conte/Free Souls[sHM-CD]
CD
2500 yen US$23.69/EUR 17.56
Art Farmer/When Farmer Met Gryce[sHM-CD]
CD
Gil Melle/Quadrama[sHM-CD]
CD
Teddy Charles/Evolution[sHM-CD]
CD
Ray Bryant/Ray Bryant Trio[sHM-CD]
CD
Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins/Thelonious Monk With Sonny Rollihns[sHM-CD]
CD
Sonny Rollins/Rollins Plays For Bird[sHM-CD]
CD
Billy Taylor/Cross Section[sHM-CD]
CD

Information on this series is available on Universal Japan's site. Michael Cuscuna appears to be involved. Here is the link: http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/prestige7000.

And here is the link for the New Jazz series: http://www.universal-music.co.jp/jazz/prestige-newjazz

Edited by dougcrates

• 1 month later...

I don't have any of these SHM-CDs (yet), but I noticed that a few of the albums go back to (what I presume is) the original cover art. Thelonious Monk's quintet sessions with Frank Foster and Sonny Rollins (from different dates) is a fine example.

post-282-0-52533200-1391881170_thumb.jpg

I wish this series had done the same for Monk's trio date — maybe this is the 10" cover art?

post-282-0-60502000-1391881273_thumb.jpg

It looks like Monk is voicing a C6 chord there? (C-A-E-G)?

Also, the Rollins with MJQ session from this series uses the original orange duotone cover (as opposed to the ubiquitous yellow version):

post-282-0-33297400-1391881746_thumb.jpg

I like the sound of that box set myself, was just listening to the Davis session disc last week. It's not spectacular, but it's not harsh and it's not too compressed or thick either. K2 remastered. It can also be had quite cheaply.

Edited by jazzbo

I ordered the two available Monks, so We('ll) See.

UCCO-5220 Sonny Rollins - Worktime

UCCO-5227 Thelonious Monk Trio + 2

UCCO-5253 Thelonious Monk Quintets

p.s. I also love that box set. It was my introduction to this wonderful music and contains some great photos of the man. For me, there are jazz greats, and then there's Monk. Unsurpassed.

I like the sound of that box set myself, was just listening to the Davis session disc last week. It's not spectacular, but it's not harsh and it's not too compressed or thick either. K2 remastered. It can also be had quite cheaply.

If it's K2 mastered it should be very good sound. I don't have the complete Monk on Prestige set, but I've the Monk Trio SHM-CD and the sound is excellent.

I see the current Blue Note and Prestige 7000 series SHM-CD's as complimenting each other, both are issued under supervision of Michael Cuscuna who does the brief notes on the Blue Note's and Ira Gitler for the Prestige. As stated by others, these are cost effective reissues, but when you start buying them half-a-dozen at a time they're not that cost effective to one's bank account!

I treasure a lot both King Curtis' LPs for Prestige - The New Scene and Soul Meeting. Amazing playing, grooves and audio. I purchased last year the CD that carries both of them; rarely had I been so dissapointed by the sound, compared to the 80s LPs I used to listen to. For this reason I ordered the one reissued in the subject Prestige 7000 SHM series. I ll report back.

UCCO-5384.jpg

and this is the dreaded (IMO) 1994 reissue:

51%2BScXY1obL._SY450__PJautoripBadge,Bot

Edited by Alexandros