Prestige 7000 Series on SHM-CD

ArtSalt

I ordered the two available Monks, so We('ll) See.

UCCO-5220 Sonny Rollins - Worktime

UCCO-5227 Thelonious Monk Trio + 2

UCCO-5253 Thelonious Monk Quintets

p.s. I also love that box set. It was my introduction to this wonderful music and contains some great photos of the man. For me, there are jazz greats, and then there's Monk. Unsurpassed.

Hi, I am enjoying right now the Monk Complete Prestige K2 box from 2000. Could you please update us on the sound quality of these new SHM ones?

Thanks

Alex

Edited by Alexandros

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(I responded before and then deleted my post, but...)

Alex, you own several of the Prestige SHMs, I believe, so you know how good they are. They have a signature sound/mastering. For me these are definitive CD releases.

They indeed are.

I went ahead and ordered:

[CD] Sonny Rollins / Worktime [sHM-CD]

[CD] Thelonious Monk / THELONIOUS MONK TRIO +2 [sHM-CD]

[CD] Thelonious Monk (Pf) / Thelonious Monk Quintets [sHM-CD]

[CD] Sonny Rollins / Moving Out [sHM-CD]

[CD] Thelonious Monk & Sonny Rollins / Thelonious Monk With Sonny Rollihns [sHM-CD]

[CD] Sonny Rollins / Rollins Plays For Bird [sHM-CD]

Thanks,

Alex

I've been spinning the Miles Davis and Milt Jackson Quartet/Quintet SHM-CD a lot since it arrived and really really digging it. The two Bennie Green SHM-CDs are also excellent. This is a great series, and I have to stop buying discs for a while, or I'd be all over these. I hope they hang around for a while.

In this case the mastering is really making a difference, the "super hard material" may be making a bit of a difference, but the mastering is the reason to buy these imo. I like the mastering on the new Blue Note cds as well, but the improvements on these new Prestige masterings seems a bit larger to me. And interestingly in the case of the Blu-Spec 2 cds I've bought using masterings I have on regular cd, the Blu-Spec material and pressing method seem to have really had an impact as these sound improved, quite noticeably to me on my system, with the same materings.

I have the Lateef Prestige SHM-CDs in the mail to me, looking forward to them!

How do the Bennie Green's compare to his BN dates. ?

'Walking down' is one of BG's best ever. Seems silly to say this is or ain't better than 'Soul stirrin''.

Any BG is worthwhile BG.

MG

You did good. I hve the Monk and the Rollins / Monk and they're exemplary.

Rollins' Moving Out is similarly excellent. Impossible to stop listening to More Than You Know with Monk.

Between the two of us we have all titles on Alex's list except the Rollins Plays For Bird. I'm wondering how good that album is. I've never heard it on CD.

You did good. I hve the Monk and the Rollins / Monk and they're exemplary.

Rollins' Moving Out is similarly excellent. Impossible to stop listening to More Than You Know with Monk.

Between the two of us we have all titles on Alex's list except the Rollins Plays For Bird. I'm wondering how good that album is. I've never heard it on CD.

Oops. I forgot to order one of my all time favorites, from these SHM series;

UCCO-5238.jpg?v=1

I am playin now the DSD mini lp from Japan (2007). What a session!

Edited by Alexandros

i recently received 'bird feathers' but haven't listened yet... a large order pends on how this goes, but i'm hoping for good things. this is a catalog that has been reissued and reissued many times over in japan and the prior titles i have, such as the DSD mini lp's that alexandros refers to above, have all been varying degrees of excellent.

Hi, I am enjoying right now the Monk Complete Prestige K2 box from 2000.

That has a really beatiful sound, in my opinion. They're K2 after all.

The Riverside album Thelonious Himself was given a horrible 20bitK2 mastering by Shigeo Miyamoto, the person who also did the Prestige box. That Japanese mini LP was quite inferior to other versions, like the Alan Yoshida K2 XRCD.

i gave 'bird feathers' no fewer than four listenings over the weekend. i was stunned with how clear and present the mastering is, and very quiet. this title receives my highest recommendation. although it's what some may describe as "your typical blowing session", it's well assembled and seems to coalesce better than most. i can only hope that the remainder of the titles are this good. i'm placing an order of 15 other titles in the series today... (including the aforementioned dolphy title discussed some time ago)

Edited by etherbored

i gave 'bird feathers' no fewer than four listenings over the weekend. i was stunned with how clear and present the mastering is, and very quiet. this title receives my highest recommendation. although it's what some may describe as "your typical blowing session", it's well assembled and seems to coalesce better than most. i can only hope that the remainder of the titles are this good. i'm placing an order of 15 other titles in the series today... (including the aforementioned dolphy title discussed some time ago)

just curious - which 15 titles are ordering :w ?

forgive me for noting title only...

1. 'three trumpets'

2. 'quiet kenny'

3. 'mobley's 2nd message'

4. 'the young bloods' (!)

5. monk's 'quintets'

6. '2 trumpets'

7. 'hi fi party'

8. 'hope meets foster'

9. 'wail moody wail'

10. 'fountainbleu'

11. 'primitive modern'

12. 'pairing off'

13. 'outward bound'

14. 'the new york scene'

15. 'coolin'"

thoughts/suggestions/opinions?

forgive me for noting title only...

1. 'three trumpets'

2. 'quiet kenny'

3. 'mobley's 2nd message'

4. 'the young bloods' (!)

5. monk's 'quintets'

6. '2 trumpets'

7. 'hi fi party'

8. 'hope meets foster'

9. 'wail moody wail'

10. 'fountainbleu'

11. 'primitive modern'

12. 'pairing off'

13. 'outward bound'

14. 'the new york scene'

15. 'coolin'"

bought inter alias "Quiet Kenny", "Mobley`s Message" and "Mobley`s 2nd Message" all of which leading to very satiesfying results.....still thinking about "Hope meets Foster" though......

Edited by soulpope

• 7 months later...

Several from these beautiful series are going oop, so I went ahead and just ordered some Gene Ammons (Happy Blues, Funky, Jammin, All Star sessions), Doug Watkins' Soulnik, Olio, Cats, Teddy Charles Coolin and Collaboration West.

Edited by Alexandros

10. 'fountainbleu'

ether — Are you enjoying this disc? One of my favorite Dameron discs. (Perhaps my all-time favorite.)

I wish this series had a new batch of reissues.

yes - it's a gem. i'm very happy i sprung for it (as well as the other dameron; 'mating call'). very nice sort of air and depth to the issue. my prior copy was the standard ojc, so...

(nice new avatar, btw!)

Edited by etherbored

Several from these beautiful series are going oop, so I went ahead and just ordered some Gene Ammons (Happy Blues, Funky, Jammin, All Star sessions), Doug Watkins' Soulnik, Olio, Cats, Teddy Charles Coolin and Collaboration West.

Just a notice regarding "The Cats" SHM-CD: this one had 2-4 weeks availablity when I placed my order at cdjapan which is normally an oop notion; however just 4 days after ordered placement it is shipped and went back to 3-5 days status.

• 2 weeks later...

The 7100 Series also has this record:

glp_259.jpg

I don't think it was ever an OJC. It's actually a pretty good record, especially if you like Mann's playing to begin with. Mann plays flute and tenor with various Swedish pick-up bands (well, not really "pick-up"; Arne Domerus's band of the day, and two other configurations). Mann on tenor sounds surprisingly like Bill Perkins on this record. The flute is agile, and sounds good (not too saccharine) fronting a nonet. I couldn't find sound samples on YouTube, but iTunes in Europe has it, albeit with a different (generic) cover. If Mr. Blakemore remasters it, I will buy.

I realized that The Modern Jazz Disciples haven't been mentioned in this thread yet. Their two albums on New Jazz are part of this reissue series:

31eETHoLcWL.jpg41Hlp1DnCqL.jpg

Curtis Peagler: alto, tenor saxophones

William Kelley: normaphone, euphonium

Bill Brown: piano

Lee Tucker: bass

Roy McCurdy: drums

In case you're wondering what a normaphone is, here's a picture:

Heber-Normaphone-Eb.jpg

It seems gimmicky at first, but not the way Kelley plays it — very fluent trombone-range valve playing. Check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJ_ludgTWk&list=PLVjiT0bRFnUrcPDnDv4Pmt4g_iN3wa3B7&index=2

Peagler is no slouch on the saxophone. In fact, he seems unfairly neglected. His alto playing reminds me of Andrew White's from the (also obscure) JFK Quintet.

I didn't know that Fantasy put out a 2-fer back in the day (probably still available), but there you go.

Anyone here have these discs?