Prestige 7000 Series on SHM-CD

ArtSalt

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus 4 and Tenor Madness should be here any day now.

There is so much to choose from at the moment. Just ordered Moving Out and Saxophone Colossus. I'm guessing Saxophone Colossus has the same mastering as the Platinum SHM-CD from late last year.

I wonder if the Platimum SHM-CD of Colossus has the same mastering as the magnificent SHM-SACD (the latter had "the latest 2010 national original analog tape DSD master"). If not I would be very tempted.

Edit: the Platimum SHM-CD actually has a very *tempting* description: "HR cutting from 2013, latest DSD master using United States original analog master". http://www.universal-music.co.jp/p/UCCO-40002?s=100179

Edited by Alexandros

Unfortunately, I cannot import Platinum SHM-CDs without incurring the wrath of the Dutch Customs Nazis, they are too expensive at ¥3333.

The Platinum is a limited edition and both were released within six months of each other. Since the Prestige 7000 SHM series contains new masterings and both were mastered in 2013, I think it's safe to assume they have the same mastering.

PS Regular Prestige SHMs also have HR cutting.

Edited by erwbol

Every single title is really worthy of a place in good collection.

True. That said, I especially wouldn't want to be without any of the McLean titles. Jackie's work for Prestige/New Jazz unfairly gets overlooked in relation to his output for Blue Note. Makin' The Changes is a particular favorite.

Did anyone else here notice that there's a new UCCO (prefix) reissue line coming out in May? They're not SHM-CDs, however. Later Prestige titles, including Bobby Timmons' session with Wayne Shorter.

Looks like 65 titles, stumbled on to this listing:

http://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2014/02/28/0110#div_item_contents

I treasure a lot both King Curtis' LPs for Prestige - The New Scene and Soul Meeting. Amazing playing, grooves and audio. I purchased last year the CD that carries both of them; rarely had I been so dissapointed by the sound, compared to the 80s LPs I used to listen to. For this reason I ordered the one reissued in the subject Prestige 7000 SHM series. I ll report back.

UCCO-5384.jpg

and this is the dreaded (IMO) 1994 reissue:

51%2BScXY1obL._SY450__PJautoripBadge,Bot

Gentlemen, we are talkin' here about the apocalypse. Finally, the soundstage is back along with the musicality and smoothness. Easily crankable. I "fear"/hope that these Prestige and New Jazz SHM CDs set new level in affordable digital music. Next, to "Conception."

FYI: DSD Remastered by Paul Blackmore at CMG Mastering Studio, 2013.

Edited by Alexandros

UCCO_5213.jpg

UCCO-5213

The eighth Penguin guide lists it under Miles Davis' entry.

Wikipedia

Alright now I remember, but with a different sleeve:

51hqv7ITKxL._SY450_.jpg

The new SHM-CD is anonymously "DSD Remastered in 2013." Day and night compared to the old OJC. Even to the worst sounding of these old sessions, the new SHM-CD managed to remove the veil without shifting disturbingly to the brightness area. Again, a far more convenient listening. Invest!

Edited by Alexandros

Unfortunately, I cannot import Platinum SHM-CDs without incurring the wrath of the Dutch Customs Nazis, they are too expensive at ¥3333.

The Platinum is a limited edition and both were released within six months of each other. Since the Prestige 7000 SHM series contains new masterings and both were mastered in 2013, I think it's safe to assume they have the same mastering.

I am not convinced the Platinum SHM-CDs are noticeably improved - I purchased the Art Pepper, Bill Evans and the Coltrane ballads - also ran the gauntlet of the Dutch Customs and was not wowed in a superlative way. But I also purchased Ella and Louis and was greatly impressed with the dynamic sound stage.

I am not convinced the Platinum SHM-CDs are noticeably improved - I purchased the Art Pepper, Bill Evans and the Coltrane ballads - also ran the gauntlet of the Dutch Customs and was not wowed in a superlative way. But I also purchased Ella and Louis and was greatly impressed with the dynamic sound stage.

I only tried A Love Supreme Platinum SHM-CD, and I was thrilled compared to the APO SACD. Your comment on Ella and Louis intrigued me all the more since, as most of us I suppose, already own various versions of this record.

Alexandros: I don't own any other versions of Ella and Louis so I can't compare, but the sound is magnificent. Also of interest is the Blu Spec2 of Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Hardy this particularly is much better than previous CD versions I've owned. Same impressive sound stage as the Ella and Louis.

Alexandros: I don't own any other versions of Ella and Louis so I can't compare, but the sound is magnificent. Also of interest is the Blu Spec2 of Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Hardy this particularly is much better than previous CD versions I've owned. Same impressive sound stage as the Ella and Louis.

Yes, Ella and Louis is a favorite among audiophiles. A great recording per se. Gold DCC cd, Japanese SACD, SHM-SACD, APO SACD, Blu-ray audio (this one includes both and complete Ella & Louis and Again).

Your WC Handy/Armstrong assessment is interesting as well: have you also compare it to the SACD? Does the Blu-Sec2 CD carry the latest Legacy remaster? Thanks.

Edited by Alexandros

At a local,audio dealer I listened to high res. 24/192 file of an Ella & Louis track. The sound was staggeringly vivid. There's gold in them there master tapes.

do you know what the file type was.....?

FLAC 24/192, that's all I recall.

....and it rivaled a good shm pressing?

At a local,audio dealer I listened to high res. 24/192 file of an Ella & Louis track. The sound was staggeringly vivid. There's gold in them there master tapes.

....and it rivaled a good shm pressing?

No , it' was just the most immediate and realistic recording I've ever heard ,regardless of format.

HD tracks offers 24/96 for this title. I wonder who offers 24/192?

http://www.hdtracks.com/ella-and-louis

whoa. now that's saying something. do you put it down to quality of the file or the hardware....?

Hardware was good but not of the highest level. Integrated Moon amp with built in DAC, MiND digital renderer and iirc Totem speakers (£1K+). I'd guess equipment costs of around £5K. So yes, good hardware but the Ella & Louis FLAC 24/192 sounded really incredible and miles ahead of anything else I sampled. It wasn't an extensive listening session but it certainly pointed out to me that digital can sound really good but you have to start with a good recording of great music.

HD tracks offers 24/96 for this title. I wonder who offers 24/192?

http://www.hdtracks.com/ella-and-louis

Perhaps I wrongly stated it as 24/192

How are the 2 Burrell's and the "Olio"? I heard a 70's twofer vinyl pressing of the latter years ago (was it a twofer? WHRW at Binghamton University has a green label 70's pressing), used to have the OJC of "All Day Long" and I recall there was a spot where the tape sounded like it got wrinkled a bit. Not a dealbreaker for me, but curious as to how these sound. There are several titles I want in this series, but can't buy anything right now.

Edited by CJ Shearn

How are the 2 Burrell's and the "Olio"? I heard a 70's twofer vinyl pressing of the latter years ago (was it a twofer? WHRW at Binghamton University has a green label 70's pressing), used to have the OJC of "All Day Long" and I recall there was a spot where the tape sounded like it got wrinkled a bit. Not a dealbreaker for me, but curious as to how these sound. There are several titles I want in this series, but can't buy anything right now.

I think only one Burrell is for now reissued in these SHM series:

UCCO-5288.jpg?v=1

Is there another one?

Your WC Handy/Armstrong assessment is interesting as well: have you also compare it to the SACD? Does the Blu-Sec2 CD carry the latest Legacy remaster? Thanks.

The Blu-Spec2 carries the info that it is from the DSD remaster from 2005, it sounds favourable to the Columbia edition from 2009. So depends when the latest remaster from Legacy was done(?). There is an improvement to my ears.

Sorry, I haven't listened to the SACD version - I was revved-up to purchase as SACD player back in the mid-2000s, but then it never seemed to gather pace with reissues and my interest in the format waned.

Edited by ArtSalt