Yusef Lateef RIP

david weiss

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recommendations regarding other YAL releases? And any hints on where to get them? I've been meaning to check out a few for years, but they never showed up anywhere. Don't even remember where I found the Lateef/Freeman, probably in some weird sales bin, where some obscure stuff would show up ... I miss those bins!

• 2 weeks later...

What a sound, and what a human being. His spirit was so strong; he was indomitable. He stood up to the Detroit Police 'back in the day' and that took guts.

Fortunately he returned to Detroit many times over the years, and when he (still) played nightclubs, his weekends at Baker's were not to be missed, especially if Terry Pollard was onboard. "Lateef At Cranbrook" is but one of many great recordings. I'm told that there are more tapes from that same time - 1957 - maybe those will one day be issued. His autobiography is disappointing, as Mark noted, but Yusef knew what he wanted to say and he said it.