The Wolf Of Wall Street

Thought American Hustle was entertaining but flawed. The movie is about 30 minutes too long and Russell's direction is not as great as everyone is saying (there are definitely whole scenes that should have been cut, like the aftermath of Louis CK's character getting punched in the face). The Abscam story is almost impossible to screw up but Russell comes perilously close to doing just that at times.

I would agree with you on that.. but I was NEVER bored looking at Amy Adams... :) Jennifer Lawrence was better than I expected

Thought American Hustle was entertaining but flawed. The movie is about 30 minutes too long and Russell's direction is not as great as everyone is saying (there are definitely whole scenes that should have been cut, like the aftermath of Louis CK's character getting punched in the face). The Abscam story is almost impossible to screw up but Russell comes perilously close to doing just that at times.

I thought American Hustle was brilliant filmmaking; energetic, hilarious, engrossing and FUN! I thought the running time was fine, the direction assured and the entire cast was great. The film had so much LIFE to it that it made me realize how dead most movies really are these days.

Wolf Of Wall Street I have very little interest in though I will eventually watch it once it comes to home video. Honestly I'm just tired of Marty and Leo working together and the subject matter I could care less about.

Regarding Wolf of Wall Street, haven't seen it but i find the trailer and the thought of seeing the full movie depressingly unappealing. I often enjoy movies where criminals are the 'heroes'; I dug The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Sopranos despite the fact that the mob are the scum of the earth. There's just nothing cool for me about Wall Street and that whole shebang. Right or wrong it's just deeply uncool to me. I think there's a bit of a disconnect there for me with Dicaprio and Jonah Hill playing the leads; they would have grown up watching Scorcese movies and judging by the trailer it's apparent on screen, in a bad way.

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed Wolf of Wall Street as a film. I was also amazed at the music used prominently in the film. Songs by Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley and Elmore James are used in big scenes. Music by Ahmad Jamal and Cannonball Adderley are also used with other jazz.

Edited by Hot Ptah

I have to kind of kick myself for my earlier comments about Wolf of Wall Street. I DID eventually end up going to see it and I thought it was great fun. It's Marty doing comedy and it's a damn funny film, the whole sequence with Leo on quaaludes trying to get into his car would have made Preston Sturges proud.

I have to kind of kick myself for my earlier comments about Wolf of Wall Street. I DID eventually end up going to see it and I thought it was great fun. It's Marty doing comedy and it's a damn funny film, the whole sequence with Leo on quaaludes trying to get into his car would have made Preston Sturges proud.

Would have made Preston Sturges proud? I thought that scene would have embarrassed Jerry Lewis.

Would have made Preston Sturges proud? I thought that scene would have embarrassed Jerry Lewis.

I think it might have been somewhere in between the two.

• 2 months later...

Finally saw this on the weekend and really enjoyed it.

The scene where the guy is cleaning the fishbowl was a little too close to self parody: get a guy that looks like a jerk, have him wear a bowtie, have him cleaning his fishbowl at his desk in the middle of the office on an important day, have Jonah Hill go up to him and calmy but with a hint of seething incredulity ask what he is doing. Have Jonah Hill be all like "yes, that seems reasonable enough" and walk away before turning around and going off his nut at him Scorcese movie actor style. Anyway, this scene was what i thought the whole movie would be like, but it wasn't. I'm almost convinced that this scene was some sort of meta thing, it was just too perfect.