Woody Shaw - Complete Muse Recordings on Mosaic

You know who deserves a Select from his Muse work (if the quantity is there) - Bill Barron. Three albums of knotty compositions and knowing playing. Not a slack moment to be heard.

Although - if Muse is now owned by Savoy, consider a combined Savoy/Muse set...hey, wouldn't that be something?

Bill Barron is still grossly under-appreciated, imo.

As was mentioned several times on this board there'll be no more Selects.

I missed that news ... bummer. I miss the Mosaic Singles series as well. I have just about all of the 32 Jazz Shaw reissues, but I'll definitely be picking up the Mosaic set.

I was told the Selects were not cost-effective, on the contrary. I'll miss them too, it was a great series. At one time they were thinking about a Select with Dave Bailey's leader dates on JazzTime, JazzLine and Epic (despite the complete set on one of the Spanish/Andorran labels) and - if I remember correctly - also about a Chico Hamilton Select with his early 1960s Quintet with Gabor Szabo and Charles Lloyd.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who deserves a Select from his Muse work (if the quantity is there) - Bill Barron. Three albums of knotty compositions and knowing playing. Not a slack moment to be heard.

Although - if Muse is now owned by Savoy, consider a combined Savoy/Muse set...hey, wouldn't that be something?

Bill Barron is still grossly under-appreciated, imo.

What a kick it was to hear "The Tenor Stylings of Bill Barron" and "Now Hear This!" when they first came out. B.B. was in effect a "third way," maybe even a "fourth."

Wish I could have hear them like that...even when I got to them, it was obvious that this guy was deep into his own thing (to use a cliche...).

I can tell you this though - Motivation has gotten all but lost, and it is all of that, and maybe even more.

Bill%2BBarron%2BQuartet%2B-%2B1972%2B-%2

All the more reason to push for a biggish box.

Bill Barron cannot be denied...if not Mosaic, then no complaints when it goes shady.

And if the number of discs doesn't meet the math, hey. World gone wrong. Again and/or more so.

Some have already gone "shady".

http://www.amazon.com/Barron-Quintet-Sextet-Stylings-Windows/dp/B0081SGLEC

http://www.amazon.com/Hear-This-Bill-Barron-Curson/dp/B00005RCEJ

Edited by Blue Train

Whoa! major news -- some outstand records among the Muse Shaw dates, particularly "Little Red's Fantasy," which I wrote about once a while ago for Jazz Times http://woodyshaw.com/OLD%20SITE/littlered_review.htm and "Love Dance," which I have always loved too. Like Chuck, I'm hoping some serious magic happens sonically with this reissue, 'cause the originals pretty much sucked when it came to the recorded sound.

I'm neither familiar with Muse nor Woody Shaw, although I've preordered the new Columbia box based purely on his rep.

Here's a list of Muse releases that I found. Anything here that would make a good Mosaic set?

There's a ton of stuff that could be packaged into a box set:

Pat Martino

Kenny Barron

Charles Earland

Ricky Ford

Mark Murphy's best work was on Muse in the 70s. A lot of stuff there.

Savoy is owned by Columbia in Japan, so good luck to anyone who decides to sort that out. They did great mini-LPs of Stylings, Windows and Hot Line, and Fresh Sound have a twofer of those records (on Spotify).

But Nippon Columbia isn't owned by Sony/BMG. Columbia (American Graphophone) sold its Japanese subsidiary, which became Nippon Columbia, when it was feeling the pinch in 1910 (and its UK subsidiary in 1921, shortly before it went bust).

MG

Savoy is owned by Columbia in Japan, so good luck to anyone who decides to sort that out. They did great mini-LPs of Stylings, Windows and Hot Line, and Fresh Sound have a twofer of those records (on Spotify).

But Nippon Columbia isn't owned by Sony/BMG. Columbia (American Graphophone) sold its Japanese subsidiary, which became Nippon Columbia, when it was feeling the pinch in 1910 (and its UK subsidiary in 1921, shortly before it went bust).

MG

So good luck to anyone who decides to sort that out. :)

But nobody's gotten to Motivation. Somebody does, and it's a deal-changer, musically.

But nobody's gotten to Motivation. Somebody does, and it's a deal-changer, musically.

I've never even heard Motivation, and am dying to do so.

Be sure to grab the "Louis Hayes - The Real Thing" CD, a 1977 Muse recording by the Shaw/Hayes group with Rene McLean, Ronnie Mathews, Stafford James, and Slide Hampton. A gem, and not included on the Mosaic, though it easily would have fit.

I have to say, I found 'The Real Thing' a bit underwhelming, compared to Shaw's Muse issues of around the same period. Will give it another listen.

That was just about what I posted last night - but my post is nowhere to be seen .... weird.

Fine band that left better documents than that album.

I guess only the people at Mosaic can answer the The Real Thing question :)

I've asked Scott about it.

Scott told me The Real Thing isn't included because Hayes was the leader of that date. The Mosaic only includes Shaw leader dates on Muse.

Just pre-ordered my copy of the new Woody Muse box, along with the following Selects: Toshiko Akiyoshi, Paul Chambers, McCoy Tyner, and a safety copy of the Andrew Hill BN Select (something I'd been meaning to do for eons) -- the ONLY Mosaic item I feel I need a "safety" of, BTW.

...unless and until they ever do a Tyrone Washington set. :rlol