Who was a better Arranger and Composer?

Hardbopjazz

Which of these guys on the list do you rank first?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Agreeing with many of the objections stated... my vote goes for Tadd Dameron (I love her compositions)

Tadd was a chick?

:wacko::blink::unsure:

That´s a mistake you make when English is not your first language, you didn´t study it as much as you should have, you´re posting from work, and your boss is around.... :P

B)

so your boss is a chick then? :g

On topic: I'm a big fan of Dameron's music, his tunes as well as his arrangements. However, I rate Gil Evans higher - and that's a very personal thing, has nothing to do with any appliable "measure scales" or whatever.

Maria Schneider would be another name to drop.

How about George Russell? I love his work a lot, too!

Gunther Schuller might be another candidate.

ubu

Agreeing with many of the objections stated... my vote goes for Tadd Dameron (I love her compositions)

Tadd was a chick?

:wacko::blink::unsure:

That´s a mistake you make when English is not your first language, you didn´t study it as much as you should have, you´re posting from work, and your boss is around.... :P

B)

so your boss is a chick then? :g

Sadly, he´s a fat, greasy bearded man. No sex-appeal at all! :P

I voted for Oliver 'Mod Squad' Nelson, and not just because he weren

t getting no respect from y'all. If you weigh the A side heavier I'd go for Gil, if it's the C side I'd say Tadd. And while Duke's average, esp'ly if limited to work for BN, is higher, I'd prefer to judge Oliver by his best work not his hack work. Gotta dig someone who could get the Basie band to play Ayler and Sanders!

One for Tadd here.

I'd divide this into two different questions, who's the better arranger and who's the better composer. Gil was probably a better arranger -- nobody but Stravinsky ever wrote better for wind instruments -- but Tadd is the one whose tunes get stuck in my head all day, and it's a good day when that happens! And he was no slouch as an arranger, the man who moved swing arranging style forward into bebop and beyond.

I'm loving Duke P. more the more I know of his music, and I've always loved Oliver and Gil. But Tadd is a special musical hero of mine.