January 10th & 11th NYC marathon

Many great shows:

winterjazzfest.com

I'm going on the 10th for:

8:00: Ches Smith Trio with Mat Maneri and Craig Taborn

10:00 Mary Halvorsen Septet

11:15 Peter Brotzmann with Hamid Drake and Jason Adasiewicz

I'll be up there on the 10th and 11th, so I may see you up there, as I will be those shows.

Many great shows:

winterjazzfest.com

I'll be up there on the 10th and 11th, so I may see you up there, as I will be those shows.

Key for me is to get a good seat for Mary's set and as close as possible for Herr Broetzmann. First time in over 10 years to see him with the great drummer.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow night.

If I was going Saturday I would see Open Loose, Snakeoil and Tony's Taramindo

Malaby turns 50 on Sunday and I wish I could see those three powerhouse bands back to back to back.

But I'm sure to have a great experience tomorrow nonetheless

Many great shows:

winterjazzfest.com

I'll be up there on the 10th and 11th, so I may see you up there, as I will be those shows. DP

Edited by Steve Reynolds

There is nothing in this world like the sound of the great Peter Brotzmann

Nothing

And in that huge room that is Judson Church, I have never heard him sound like he did about 2 hours ago.

From tenor to targato to clarinet and back to tenor.

When he took an unaccompanied break 40 minutes in (10 minutes into the second and final 15 minute improvisation) the sound came from God if there is such a thing.

Nothing like it in this world.

Amazing night for me. Just as far as Drummers I saw last night: Ches Smith, the incredible Chris Corsano and my first time seeing or hearing the monster drummer Ryan Sawyer(both with Nate Wooley's mind blowing band), Gerald Cleaver and the great Hamid Drake.

Wendel was a drag. Other than that, what a great couple of days. In 2 days I got to see:

Ches Smith Trio (w/Mat Maneri, Craig Taborn)

Nate Wooley's Seven Storey Mountain

Mary Halvorson Septet

Peter Brotzmann with Hamid Drake & Jason Adasiewicz

Darcy James Argue's Secret Society

Ralph Alessi Baida Quartet

Mark Helias Open Loose

Henry Threadgill "Ensemble Double-Up"

Tony Malaby's Tamarindo (double bass version with Helias and William Parker, and Nasheet Waits)

Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog with Mary Halvorson

Matt Ship Trio

I would say that is pretty good weekend. I think the musicians were charged by the large crowds and positive atmosphere. Just a lot of great performances. For me, the most memorable performance was Nate Wooley's Seven Storey Mountain, so powerful, followed by Mr Brotzmann with Jason Adasiewicz (who has developed a really strong partnership with Brotzmann) and Hamid Drake.

Happily tired.

Agreed regarding Nate Wooley's Seven Storey Mountain

Very intense and hard to describe

For me I went only on Friday and the Broetzmann set was my highlight despite the greatness of the above and the wonderful set from Ches Smith, Mat Maneri and Craig Taborn.

Mat was as brilliant as ever, yet the trio wasn't as over the top brilliant as they were last March. The drums and piano were not as intense as in the great downstairs room that is Cornelia Street Cafe.

Plus I saw the first half of a set from Big Mouth where I heard the greatest Wurlitzer solo ever from Craig Taborn. Beyond fucking genius. The band was cooking and but after the long second tune I was off the hear what for me two days later will now always be referred to as The Sound of God via the tenor saxophone of the great Peter Broetzmann.

I can still close my eyes and almost hear what I experienced in those amazing 45 minutes.