High-Res downloads - Better than CDs

GA Russell

Sounds like these masterings are on the new Blue Note SHM discs?

I don't think this is always the case. I know at least the Happenings SHM CD and Hi-Res download have different masterings. I've heard discussion that Somethin' Else and several others may have different masterings as well. In fact, I'm not sure I seen anyone claim the the SHM and Hi-Res masterings are similar. But I haven't purchased too many HiRes files (Happenings, Let Freedom Ring, Rollins Vol.1, My Point of View, The Prisoner, Evolution, Expansions), so I don't have too much to compare.

Duplicate of a from the Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD thread. My guess is that the SHM-CDs are made from the same transfers, but are mastered in Japan.

Alan Yoshida did the first batch of six HD Tracks releases, but was mistakenly credited for a couple more on their website.

-------------

Here is a video of Bernie Grundman talking about the current transferring of the Blue Note catalog to high resolution digital for archiving. The project has been going on for four years and these are the transfers being used for the HD Tracks downloads, the "Blue Note 100" vinyl, and almost certainly the Japanese SHM-CDs as well.

http://youtu.be/d8o0Gl7XUT0

More here: analogplanet.com

(I found a link to this video on the Hoffman board)

Edited by erwbol

Some beautiful stuff going on in that Hoffman thread.

kevintomb says: "So apparently it is not just me that does not know "What to listen for" or "Does not own a resolving enough system"?

Kinda what I have been saying for years. Mastering and the recording matter, So called Hi Res is an advantage in "Theory"

Are we gonna ban the phrase "Night and day differences" finally?"

To which gloomrider responds: "Yes. That will happen around the same time we ban the phrases, "your system is not resolving enough", and "foreground listening".

Oh, how this all sounds SO familiar...

A mucca of mine is big in product testing in China and he recently had a new client from Europe who was an upmarket audiophile manufacturer that was starting to source component parts in China as the original supplier had moved production there. Fair play, the audiophile equipment manufacturer went to China himself to check out the component company and witness the testing. My friend asked him the question of which is the best format, to which he replied "Well of course, undoubtedly vinyl is the best sounding format.....for the first ten plays." And then went on to elaborate further.

The "best" format is the one you enjoy listening to. And that's really how subjective it is. Vinyl is not superior in any way. CD, vinyl, high bitrate digital files, whatever... You just have to decide whether you want it surgically clean, or spiced with some even order harmonic distortion.

Arguments can be made for both, but anyone claiming one format being superior over the other is the same as someone proclaiming salted nuts as being superior to unsalted nuts.