Amiri Baraka (LeRoi Jones) RIP

Face of the Bass

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We met more than 50 years ago. He was a big influence on me. His poetry and the magazine he edited and the records we exchanged (he turned me on to Albert Ayler), are lifelong memories for me. Decades later I was able to arrange a poetry reading for him at the college in Monterey where I was an instructor. To quote his words in "Bulworth," be a spirit! Don't be no ghost.

We used to have almost 100 copies of "Blues People" at the HS where I used to teach.

If a black kid was failing my music class, I gave them a copy and had them write a book report on it for extra credit. None of them ever returned it.

Maybe I created an entire generation of jazz critics. :bwallace:

RIP AB/LJ

Edited by sgcim

His early poetry was very important to me - and still is.

My only encounter with Mr. Baraka was back in the mid 1980's. I was sitting at the bar at Sweet Basil digging Cecil's group. I had my eyes closed for a few minutes. I remember I was smiling because I was enjoying the music so much and, when I opened my eyes, I saw Mr. Baraka sitting on the other side of the bar, looking over and also smiling. It seemed (at least to me) that for that moment we were on a somewhat similar page. Perhaps presumptuous on my part, but that's how it seemed.

Thank you, Mr. Baraka.

Unfortunately, a legacy tainted by anti-Semitism.

I don't see it as "tainted." I see it as part and parcel of his legacy, along with the misogyny and homophobia of his black Nationalist period. What I admire about Baraka is that he never allowed himself to become politically correct, and wasn't afraid to be wrong. I think he was a very courageous writer.

Helped to shape whatever understanding I have of this music and its makers. Only came to his poetry and dramatic writing later. THE SYSTEM OF DANTE'S HELL, people... still incredibly powerful... Rest now, Mr. Baraka. Rest.

in my one encounter he was extremely nice and personable; and I love the early poetry; someday, however, when enough time has passed not to offend anyone who is still mourning, I will do a detailed critique of Blues People, which has some very insightful sociology and a lot of bad history; my best recommendation on Baraka are Gerald Early's one or two critical essays; and Hettie Jones' book. Also, Ralph Ellison's review of Blues People.

Edited by AllenLowe

When he was writing jazz reviews for Kulchur, he came up with some gems. I recall in particular his insightful praise for Ellington's "'All American' Jazz." Only a real listener could have come up with that one. In the same issue, maybe it was the same review, he did the same thing with Tadd Dameron's "The Magic Touch."

my best recommendation on Baraka are Gerald Early's one or two critical essays; and Hettie Jones' book. Also, Ralph Ellison's review of Blues People.

There is something about this that has always bothered me. You hear it a lot from people; that to understand Baraka they should read these other works, rather than anything Baraka himself wrote. In particular, I never cared for Ellison's patronizing review of Baraka's work. Baraka is far more insightful in his own writing (and letters) on Ellison and James Baldwin than Ellison ever was on him.

The Hettie Jones book as well. It's certainly a compelling book in many respects, but people always bring it up as soon as Baraka's name is mentioned, as if the one-sided account of an ex-spouse should be the final word on a person.