Favorite Roku Channels?

JSngry

Lately, been digging the Pub-D-Hub, and have been having fun (sometimes not) trying to find a workaround for those "offbeat" movie/etc channels powered by AdRise (evil Evil EVIL!)...but the real treat has been all the cooking stations.

In a lot of ways, this reminds me of the earlier days of local TV (or cable, for that matter), where all you needed was a concept and a time slot, and somebody to put it on the air at some hour. Now, all you need is a concept, a camera (or hell, just graphics software), a server, enough money to pay the fee(s?), and BAM - YOU GOT A TV STATION!

Or radio. But TV is more fun to watch.

Anybody else exploring Roku for something besides streaming obvious movies & any musics?

Pub-D-Hub is pretty cool, but what I've wound up using my Roku for the most is a combination of the Plex channel and the free Plex Media Server (https://plex.tv/downloads) running on my computer to queue up videos I run into while browsing the web for viewing later on my TV. There's a "Plex It!" button you can add to your browser's bookmarks toolbar that enables adding videos to your Plex queue with one click; although sometimes it fails to recognize videos embedded in webpages, I'd say it works great 90% of the time. I mainly started using Plex to be able to fling YouTube videos to my Roku, back when they'd briefly had an official YouTube channel before Google made them take it down. I understand that whatever disagreement Google had with Roku has recently been resolved and there's an official YouTube channel available once again.

If you have a large personal media collection stored on hard drives, you can also add that content to your Plex queue just as easily and watch it via your Roku.

There are also a crapload of private Roku channels out there that are accessible if you have the correct access codes. For starters:

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+private+roku+channels

Edited by Dave Garrett