Shirley Scott

undergroundagent

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2017 at 0:31 PM, mikeweil said:

Scotty Plays The Duke - Prestige 7163 (1959)

Satin Doll - Prestige 7283 (1961)

Shirley Scott Plays Horace Silver - Prestige 7240 (1961)

None of these was reissued on CD, afaik. All are organ-bass-drums trios.

Real Gone Jazz has issued them on compact disc. Sound is quite good.

On 31/12/2017 at 8:31 PM, mikeweil said:

Scotty Plays The Duke - Prestige 7163 (1959)

Shirley Scott Plays Horace Silver - Prestige 7240 (1961)

None of these was reissued on CD, afaik. All are organ-bass-drums trios.

My favourite of the organ/bass/drums LPs on Prestige is 'Drag 'em out'. That one still HASN'T been reissued on CD, to my knowledge. Title track takes up all of side one and is V greasy. Major Holley is the bass player and does a very long, funky, bowed solo. Roy Brooks on drums. Prestige PR7305. Don't miss!

MG

8 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

My favourite of the organ/bass/drums LPs on Prestige is 'Drag 'em out'. That one still HASN'T been reissued on CD, to my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure you're right, unless there was one of those bat-of-an-eyelash Japanese issues, say, some time in the 90's. Thank goodness at least part of the record is on YouTube — but I'd purchase a sanctioned compact disc release in a heartbeat. Such a relaxed, groovy record — well, what I've heard of it. I've never heard the title track! There's a deep humility in Shirley's playing — she never uses the B3 to show off.

64436931.jpg

The Song Has Ended

I've just read the thread with interest as I'm new to her music and it coincides with me being in a a shop with a number of her Impulse releases recently.I didn't know whether to go for them or not. Not too many mentions of Impulse releases upthread, any good ones?

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I've just read the thread with interest as I'm new to her music and it coincides with me being in a a shop with a number of her Impulse releases recently.I didn't know whether to go for them or not. Not too many mentions of Impulse releases upthread, any good ones?

I recently found a used copy of this at Dusty Groove for a very decent price.  Two discs of a very tasty live session with Turrentine.  Keep an eye out for it:

t41492-0-t41492_1000x1000.jpg

14 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I quite like 'For members only' but would need to find it and listen again to give a solid recommendation as it's been years.

They are good (and truthfully, I've never heard a Shirley Scott record that wasn't, no matter the production trappings) , but I recall them coming out during the days when organjazz was all but dead and thinking damn, even Shriley Scott can't be let to play the organ any more, that's just dark.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

the Atlantic amd Cadet years require some, uh..."adjustment of expectations" to deal with the "market intentions" of those records, but still, ther are gems that transcend, such as this one with George Coleman(!) and Danny Turner on saxes.

Yeah, that's a very nice one.

MG

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

They are good (and truthfully, I've never heard a Shirley Scott record that wasn't, no matter the production trappings) , but I recall them coming out during the days when organjazz was all but dead and thinking damn, even Shriley Scott can't be let to play the organ any more, that's just dark.

Yeah, but she did later, on 'A walkin' thing' - yeah, the Bennie Carter tune. It was her last album.

By the way, has anyone heard this album, by Joe Newman, featuring Shirley? It's from January 1958, before she started working for Jaws.

R-5837056-1404069107-4385.jpeg.jpg

I never have, either :)

MG

And - is Joe only wearing socks? Oh, very subliminal for '58!

I'm just listening to Jimmy Forrest's 'Heart of the Forrest'; a trio session on Palo Alto, with Shirley and the one and only Randy Marsh - NO BASS PLAYER!

R-1894977-1470881349-6317.jpeg.jpg

A damn fine album!

And another is the Al Grey-Jimmy Forrest Quintet. Live at Rick's - on Aviva. This also features Shirley. Bits of the session have come out as 'Night train revisited' (Storyville) and as 'Truly wonderful' (Stash). I don't have the Stash.

R-2530707-1336067580.jpeg.jpg

They're both from 1978, which shows: a) how old Randy has to be :) and b) that people HADN'T gone off organ even by the end of the seventies.

And they're really playing all the time on these.

MG

3 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yeah, but she did later, on 'A walkin' thing' - yeah, the Bennie Carter tune. It was her last album.

By the way, has anyone heard this album, by Joe Newman, featuring Shirley? It's from January 1958, before she started working for Jaws.

R-5837056-1404069107-4385.jpeg.jpg

I never have, either :)

MG

And - is Joe only wearing socks? Oh, very subliminal for '58!

Got it on a compilation of Newman albums, recall that it was tasty, will listen to it again.

Of the records that I know without Stanley Turrentine, I'm fond of "Shirley Scott Plays Horace Silver," 11/6/61, with Henry Grimes and Candy Finch. Great moment here at 2:45, after a couple seconds of silence. You think it's going to be a bass solo. But ...

Edited by Mark Stryker

25 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Got it on a compilation of Newman albums, recall that it was tasty, will listen to it again.

Oh, if it's a compilation, I doubt you could resolve the socks enigma, but do tell more when you've had another listen.

MG

Never out on CD, apparently (though yours is probably a CD) and expensive from discogs.

47 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Oh, if it's a compilation, I doubt you could resolve the socks enigma, but do tell more when you've had another listen.

MG

Never out on CD, apparently (though yours is probably a CD) and expensive from discogs.

Here's the compilation:

https://www.amazon.com/8-Classic-Albums-Joe-Newman/dp/B00CM1S1RE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521322453&sr=1-1&keywords=joe+newman

Have listened again. Several tracks of "Sweet Swinging Jazz" have Newman vocals; he sings like a trumpet player, which is not a bad thing. Scott is in good form. Not a very good recording, though, Charlie Persip's drums are rather muffled; and the date seems rather thrown together.