Shirley Scott

undergroundagent

25 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Here's the compilation:

https://www.amazon.com/8-Classic-Albums-Joe-Newman/dp/B00CM1S1RE/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521322453&sr=1-1&keywords=joe+newman

Have listened again. Several tracks of "Sweet Swinging Jazz" have Newman vocals; he sings like a trumpet player, which is not a bad thing. Scott is in good form. Not a very good recording, though, Charlie Persip's drums are rather muffled; and the date seems rather thrown together.

Thanks Larry. Not an urgent requirement, then.

MG

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great discussion and recommendations on Shirley! I don't know her Impulse! work as well as her Prestige work. I own Girl Talk, which is beautifully recorded but also one of Shirley's tamer efforts.

On a related note — if you get a chance to hear this one, do!

trudy-pitts-the-excitement-of-jazz-lp-pr

Pitts' work on Prestige is sometimes weighed down by commercial efforts (i.e. her vocals, even though they're not that bad), but this record is pure jam. Some of it's on YouTube. Recommended.

20 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yes, quite a surprise as it's not a Shirley Scott album. Must be out of copyright.

And ... there was more Shirley on Prestige that could have been added! In addition to Drag 'Em Out, there's also Workin', which has (on some of the tracks) Shirley on organ and Ronnell Bright on piano. Oh yeah — and her quartet date with Lem Winchester!

Shirley Scott Discography. I use this discography to sort out her many recording dates. Her first session with Prestige yielded far more than could be put on one record.

Oh — I also forget that Shirley recorded two Ellington albums for Prestige. I've never heard the second one (Satin Doll).

3 hours ago, Late said:

Great discussion and recommendations on Shirley! I don't know her Impulse! work as well as her Prestige work. I own Girl Talk, which is beautifully recorded but also one of Shirley's tamer efforts.

On a related note — if you get a chance to hear this one, do!

trudy-pitts-the-excitement-of-jazz-lp-pr

Pitts' work on Prestige is sometimes weighed down by commercial efforts (i.e. her vocals, even though they're not that bad), but this record is pure jam. Some of it's on YouTube. Recommended.

And ... there was more Shirley on Prestige that could have been added! In addition to Drag 'Em Out, there's also Workin', which has (on some of the tracks) Shirley on organ and Ronnell Bright on piano. Oh yeah — and her quartet date with Lem Winchester!

Shirley Scott Discography. I use this discography to sort out her many recording dates. Her first session with Prestige yielded far more than could be put on one record.

Oh — I also forget that Shirley recorded two Ellington albums for Prestige. I've never heard the second one (Satin Doll).

I've not heard 'Satin doll' either.

And 'Workin'' isn't ALL Shirley Scott. There's a Don Patterson cut in there, but the discographers got snarled up and forgot to notice it. When I told him, Mike Weil managed to acquire a copy and said he'd rip it for me one day.

It's a real shame that not all the Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis material he did for King, a lot of it with Shirley, hasn't been reissued.

MG

10 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

And 'Workin'' isn't ALL Shirley Scott. There's a Don Patterson cut in there ...

It's a real shame that not all the Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis material he did for King, a lot of it with Shirley, hasn't been reissued.

Actually, I think you mean Stompin'? (The album with the sole Patterson track included?) Workin', though I haven't heard it (though actually just ordered it), has Ronnell Bright on it.

I haven't heard much of the Lockjaw material on King. I do have this comp, which is excellent, and close to the 80 minute mark. (Sorry about the gi-normous image.)

MI0000713235.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

You can hear the entirety of Scott's Soul Sister (quartet recording with Lem Winchester) and Travelin' Light (quartet recording with Kenny Burrell) right here. The first record in particular is in a relaxed deep groove. Both are excellent.

Soul_Sister_%28album%29.jpg Travelin%27_Light_%28Shirley_Scott_%26_K

13 hours ago, Late said:

Actually, I think you mean Stompin'? (The album with the sole Patterson track included?) Workin', though I haven't heard it (though actually just ordered it), has Ronnell Bright on it.

I haven't heard much of the Lockjaw material on King. I do have this comp, which is excellent, and close to the 80 minute mark. (Sorry about the gi-normous image.)

MI0000713235.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

You can hear the entirety of Scott's Soul Sister (quartet recording with Lem Winchester) and Travelin' Light (quartet recording with Kenny Burrell) right here. The first record in particular is in a relaxed deep groove. Both are excellent.

Soul_Sister_%28album%29.jpg Travelin%27_Light_%28Shirley_Scott_%26_K

Yes, you're right - it was 'Stompin''.

I have that Jaws/Scott compilation - it's Roulette material from 1958.

There are also two nice Moodsville albums. 'Like cozy' and 'Shirley Scott Trio'.

R-2779540-1460904664-1913.jpeg.jpg

R-9939359-1488899460-4526.jpeg.jpg

You can (could) get those two on 1 CD - Like cozy PRCD24258

MG

On 18.3.2018 at 8:20 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

And 'Workin'' isn't ALL Shirley Scott. There's a Don Patterson cut in there, but the discographers got snarled up and forgot to notice it. When I told him, Mike Weil managed to acquire a copy and said he'd rip it for me one day.

I haven't forgotten about it .... had to disassemble my whole hifi recently as an old window had to be replaced, and still haven't found the time to hook it all up again and find out the way to get the audio signal to the laptop. It will be done, thanks for the reminder. 

R-3751413-1342905983-7487.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Shirley-Scott-Don-Patterson-Lockjaw-Davis-Stompin/release/3751413

On 3/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yeah, but she did later, on 'A walkin' thing' - yeah, the Bennie Carter tune. It was her last album.

By the way, has anyone heard this album, by Joe Newman, featuring Shirley? It's from January 1958, before she started working for Jaws.

R-5837056-1404069107-4385.jpeg.jpg

I never have, either :)

MG

And - is Joe only wearing socks? Oh, very subliminal for '58!

I have it on a CD combined with the album The Happy Cats, but I'm not sure about the socks thing.  Since I had to move a couple months ago, a lot of my collection is still boxed up and I don't have quick access to things.  Maybe being in his stocking feet reflected the "soft" nature of the music promised by the album title?

On 3/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

And another is the Al Grey-Jimmy Forrest Quintet. Live at Rick's - on Aviva. This also features Shirley. Bits of the session have come out as 'Night train revisited' (Storyville) and as 'Truly wonderful' (Stash). I don't have the Stash.

R-2530707-1336067580.jpeg.jpg

I only have the Stash CD and Truly Wonderful was an apt title!

Edited by duaneiac

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2018 at 2:48 AM, mjzee said:

I recently found a used copy of this at Dusty Groove for a very decent price.  Two discs of a very tasty live session with Turrentine.  Keep an eye out for it:

t41492-0-t41492_1000x1000.jpg

Found it and really enjoying it. Thanks for the suggestion

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 9:52 AM, Late said:

I've never heard the title track!

64436931.jpg

Thanks to the nachosphere, I've just recently heard the entire record of Drag 'Em Out. Man! That first side is great. And Major Holley's arco solo — groovy! I haven't enjoyed a bowed solo for a long time. That one is simple yet fine. I believe this is Scott's last trio recording for Prestige before moving on to Impulse! I wonder what she thought of it, or what other organ players at the time thought.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2018 at 1:10 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yeah, but she did later, on 'A walkin' thing' - yeah, the Bennie Carter tune. It was her last album.

By the way, has anyone heard this album, by Joe Newman, featuring Shirley? It's from January 1958, before she started working for Jaws.

R-5837056-1404069107-4385.jpeg.jpg

I never have, either :)

MG

And - is Joe only wearing socks? Oh, very subliminal for '58!

I have this on LP; he is clearly wearing shoes, as shoelaces are visible.

• 2 months later...

Well I like all the LPs shared here and particularly the sides she did with Stanley T. The one I always come back to when people complain she was a little mellow was the Cadet LP Superstition 

Belting tracks all over especially the two Liberation Song and Hanky's Panky

Think you can still buy a CD version from Amazon....last time I looked

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Superstition-Shirley-Scott/dp/B00FL95QMW

Or listen to it here 

On 3/17/2018 at 1:35 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I'm just listening to Jimmy Forrest's 'Heart of the Forrest'; a trio session on Palo Alto, with Shirley and the one and only Randy Marsh - NO BASS PLAYER!

R-1894977-1470881349-6317.jpeg.jpg

A damn fine album!

Do you know of anywhere I can listen to this online? I saw it at a record store the other day for $5 and almost picked it up, but I haven't heard any of it. I couldn't find anything on Spotify or YouTube.

R-9939359-1488899460-4526.jpeg.jpg

This album is dope. 

Edited by joshuakennedy

6 hours ago, joshuakennedy said:

Do you know of anywhere I can listen to this online? I saw it at a record store the other day for $5 and almost picked it up, but I haven't heard any of it. I couldn't find anything on Spotify or YouTube.

Dude, Forrest for a fin is a no-brainer. Trust me on this one.

It's straight-ahead organ trio jazz made in the 1970s. I think it's better than his Prestige sides because he had advanced as a player and wasn't bashful about it. It's an excellent record. If it's still there, run back and get it before somebody else does.

Some friendly advice - dates are chronological markers, not stylistic imperatives. Don't get trapped by conflating recording dates with musical expectations, there's plenty of bullshit to be had in all decades and with all production trappings or lack thereof.