Shirley Scott

undergroundagent

At the age of 24, Shirley Scott recorded her first session as a leader for Prestige. Seventeen tracks in one session, which would then be spread out over four records (Shirley's Sounds, Great Scott!, Now's The Time, and Workin').

Shirley Scott: organ

George Duvivier: bass

Arthur Edgehill: drums

May 27, 1958

1. It Could Happen To You

2. There Will Never Be Another You

3. Summertime

4. Brazil

5. The Scott

6. Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home?

7. Indiana

8. Cherokee

9. Nothing Ever Changes My Love For You

10. Trees

11. All of You

12. Goodbye

13. Four

14. S’posin’

15. Ebb Tide

16. Slaughter On 10th Avenue

17. Miles’ Theme (The Theme)

An auspicious debut.

R-4817312-1457061908-7252.jpeg.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Fantasy should have honoured her and all its other organists with comprehensive box sets.

That would've been great:

• The Complete Shirley Scott on Prestige.

• The Complete Don Patterson on Prestige.

• The Complete Johnny "Hammond" Smith on New Jazz/Prestige

etc.

For Trudy Pitts, I just want to hear the complete Club Baron recordings (if any additional tracks exist).

• 3 years later...
On 4/17/2019 at 11:06 AM, Late said:

At the age of 24, Shirley Scott recorded her first session as a leader for Prestige. Seventeen tracks in one session, which would then be spread out over four records (Shirley's Sounds, Great Scott!, Now's The Time, and Workin').

Shirley Scott: organ

George Duvivier: bass

Arthur Edgehill: drums

May 27, 1958

1. It Could Happen To You

2. There Will Never Be Another You

3. Summertime

4. Brazil

5. The Scott

6. Baby, Won’t You Please Come Home?

7. Indiana

8. Cherokee

9. Nothing Ever Changes My Love For You

10. Trees

11. All of You

12. Goodbye

13. Four

14. S’posin’

15. Ebb Tide

16. Slaughter On 10th Avenue

17. Miles’ Theme (The Theme)

An auspicious debut.

R-4817312-1457061908-7252.jpeg.jpg

That would make a great box set. Maybe if the Lockjaw/Queen Craft set sells like a dickens. . . .

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

It's time I gave some airtime to Shirley Scott. I have two of her Verve LPs and the Talkin' Verve CD collection.  Not sure what has held me back.

What has held ME back was the relatively outrageous prices of her VINYLS over here. I've had an original European pressing of "Misty" with Eddie Lockjaw Davis for some 35 years, scored a Europan original of "Blue Flames" with Stanley Turrentine about 6-7 years ago, but otherwise .... Never the right items at the right price at the right moment, it seemed ...
Then, as a a stopgap solution I took the plunge and bought (along with a couple of other RGJs) the Vol. 2 set on Real Gone Jazz ("Six Classic Albums") cheaply through Amazon a couple of years ago and found Vol. 1 ("Seven Classic Albums") on RGJ just as cheaply at a local secondhand record shop not long ago and have never looked back for some of my late-night listening since. ;) (Yes, some may sneer at those RGJ European PD sets, but they are very useful introductions to an artist and can always go into the car player when really decently-priced vinyls come my way.)

Still looking for some of her collaborations with Jaws (beyond the "Cookbooks" 1 and 2) now.

53 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

What has held ME back was the relatively outrageous prices of her VINYLS over here.

I'm sure I didn't pay much for either of the ones I found.  One has Oliver Nelson, and it is filed in the jazz section.  The other has groovy 60s tunes, and it is in the Now Sound section.  

Above all a case of availability and demand. If I had had the opportunity of making the rounds of the typical fleamarkets, garage sales, thrift shops and secondhand record stores in some fairly major metropolitan area of the USA (particularly if on either coast) in the, say, 90s and very early 2000s for any (though limited) length of time I probably would have had to rent a 20-foot container for shipping my hauls (across the board, music style-wise) back here. 😁

In short, essentially ZERO comparability overall. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

23 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Above all a case of availability and demand. If I had had the opportunity of making the rounds of the typical fleamarkets, garage sales, thrift shops and secondhand record stores in some fairly major metropolitan area of the USA (particularly if on either coast) in the, say, 90s and very early 2000s for any (though limited) length of time I probably would have had to rent a 20-foot container for shipping my hauls (across the board, music style-wise) back here. 😁

In short, essentially ZERO comparability overall. ;)

If it's any consolation, at least you got first dibs on the Kraftwerk, Klaus Nomi, Nina Hagen, and Hildegard Knef LPs. 

35 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

If it's any consolation, at least you got first dibs on the Kraftwerk, Klaus Nomi, Nina Hagen, and Hildegard Knef LPs. 

Not something I would have picked up, sadly. ;)

And 50s-60s Eurojazz platters have been rare as hens' teeth at all times anyway (and then there were certain Asian pillagers who exploded the price levels for good ... ;))

But let's get back to Shirley Scott now. :w

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I've always found Shirley Scott to be one of the more obtainable artists on Prestige. It seems like her records are more common, or perhaps less collected, than many other Prestige artists. Consequently, I've been able to find most of her Prestige recordings over the years on LP. I'm not a first pressing fetishist, so a blue or purple label Prestige suits me just fine.