Bud Spangler RIP

Mike Schwartz

He was also a major presence on the Detroit scene in the '60s and '70s before he departed for the Bay Area. After leaving Michigan State Univ., he worked with several of the big figures in Detroit jazz, like Kenny Cox, Phil Ranelin, and Marcus Belgrave, and was a producer and engineer and did other behind the scenes work for Detroit's Strata and Tribe jazz recording collectives. His drummer nephew R.J. has played a lot and led bands around the Detroit area for many years now.

Edited by Al in NYC

Bud Spangler leaves a huge void in the Bay Area jazz scene. He was a great drummer, a very knowledgeable jazz historian and a great producer as well as an inspiration and mentor to many! Bud was my welcome commitee in December of 19985 when I first got to the Bay Area. RIP Bud Spangler.

Edited by randissimo

I worked at WDET with Bud. He and Kenny Cox were my mentors and became close friends, too. Great radio voice, strong audio presence, knew his shit inside out. My goal was to be as professional as Bud and Kenny. I used to hang with Bud on Monday nites during "Jazz Today" (I hosted "Jazz Yesterday") and he would give me pointers about hosting a jazz program - "Outro, don't forget the outro, tell 'em what you played - and don't forget the rhythm section!" LOL I can see him playing along with Elvin on his practice pad, Bud would point out nuances and lay his always-interesting comments on me.

We spoke a few months ago, I have much love, admiration, respect for Bud. It was a drag when he left town. I have a book he gave me that is a prized possession.

You're always in my heart, Bud.

• 2 years later...

Wow, that makes me sad.  Bud was in my life, mainly around his playing with Jessica Williams and later with Tom Peron, a great trumpeter in Sacramemto who he forged a band with.  He was known a lot for his dj work and general mc ing.  He was always such an upbeat guy, a joy to be around.  I'm sad to hear of his passing but we all have to pass through that gate sometime.

see you on the other side Bud!

Edited by six string