Baroque Music

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubu, the first Vivaldi is Cafe Zimmermann on Alpha, disc for disc the greatest living baroque ensemble--

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D8DVF78/

This should be on the deals page but I see the mixed Celine Frisch, Cafe Zimmermann D'Anglebert 2-cd set is v. inexpensive (in the states)--

http://www.amazon.com/DAnglebert-Pieces-clavecin-harpsichord-Zimmermann/dp/B0009JXN7O

Sure, I found that one in a second, since it's their only Vivaldi disc around ... but couldn't find the othe on any of the discs by Biondi - any idea where it could be bought? Or is there a mistake with the RV number that's given on youtube?

I know folks are asking for specific pieces and recordings here ... but I got me this Telemann box and enjoyed all I've heard from it (which is roughly two thirds so far):

MI0001182385.jpg

I don't think the Ricercar Consort is as revered here as is Café Zimmermann ... but they've got some excellent stuff out - all their Bach cantatas discs are exquisite and so is the "Magnificat" disc (Bach as well). I've yet to check out more of their instrumental music, but I don't think I ever enjoyed Telemann as much as in this box set!

Talking about original style - I find that Jan Dismas Zelenka has one. I have only one of his discs, The Lamentations of Jeremiah, and it is fantastic. Deep stuff.

515vCFNYA7L.jpg

Hyperion link with samples: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDH55106&vw=dc

Thanks for that recommendation. I don't know Zelenka at all but hunting around a bit he looks interesting. One for the list.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Wow, those two are gorgeous!

Can't seem find the mandolin concerto on a disc right now ... but I see there's both a Virgin and a naïve set by Biondi - are they recommended? There's so much Vivaldi around, it's really hard to make a choice!

Take this one - it's a cheap issue, but that group is excellent!

51zRbfWJspL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Obvious recommendation: Handel Concerto Grossi Op. 6. My favorite version is Harnoncourt's on Telefunken/Teldec.

Still have not heard these ones, but I like a lot Concerti Grossi Op. 3:

034571150758.png

Label link with copious samples: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDH55075&vw=dc

Edited by Д.Д.

Wow, those two are gorgeous!

Can't seem find the mandolin concerto on a disc right now ... but I see there's both a Virgin and a naïve set by Biondi - are they recommended? There's so much Vivaldi around, it's really hard to make a choice!

Take this one - it's a cheap issue, but that group is excellent!

51zRbfWJspL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Second that - stylish performances for sure.

At the dawn of the Baroque -- Frescobaldi. Very performance-dependent, though, IMO. In particular, Frescobaldi's injunction that his keyboard music be played "without measure" continues to stir controversy. Best solution, from my subjective point of view, is that what are commonly labeled "rhetorical emphases" should be detected and heeded (but one interpreter's "detected and heeded" may not be another's). In any case, again from my point of view, "without measure" doesn't mean that one ought to turn things into a taffy pull. When someone gets it right, though -- wow.

Froberger likewise. Richard Egarr (on Globe) is very good there. I've got a promising new Frescobaldi recording on the way, so I'll hold off on recommendations there.

Special thanks to whoever posted the Big Baroque Box earlier in this thread. Downloaded Vol. 1 today (305 tracks!!!).

Currently diving into the early stages of the 14+ hours of music. Brilliant stuff, and the sound quality is superb. Especially considering it was only $6.

*edit* Just checked, and it was mjzee. Thanks, brother!

Edited by Scott Dolan

And Lully.

Very grand - you can visualise the court of Louis XIV. No idea about where these fit in the hierarchy of versions but I've played them a lot over the last few years:

61u5waxamgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg61pSHPJ55aL._SL500_AA280_.jpg614lr3JRYlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The last one is by a mixture of Louis XIII/XIV composers - a sort of 'Now That's What I Call Music 1610-1715' (though sadly no Michael Palin as Cardinal Richelieu).

Richelieu.jpg

I've just had a DVD of 'Armide' arrive; my next weekend opera treat.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

And Lully.

Very grand - you can visualise the court of Louis XIV. No idea about where these fit in the hierarchy of versions but I've played them a lot over the last few years:

61u5waxamgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg61pSHPJ55aL._SL500_AA280_.jpg614lr3JRYlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The last one is by a mixture of Louis XIII/XIV composers - a sort of 'Now That's What I Call Music 1610-1715' (though sadly no Michael Palin as Cardinal Richelieu).

Richelieu.jpg

I've just had a DVD of 'Armide' arrive; my next weekend opera treat.

Oh yes, Lully looks about right for me next month. I can't read the trademarks on them, though. What labels are they on, Bev? Where do you get them?

MG