Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3

xybert

I like the cover!

They should have a deluxe edition that comes with its own lava lamp.

and a bearskin rug like the one Miles was laying on or am I thinking of the wrong album? Is the bonus material Black Beauty material and isn't that a slightly different band? (I liked Black Beauty better, and yes all that Jap only stuff did have a holy grail aura back in the day)

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if this cost five times as much we'd all be rationalising why we *don't need it ... ;)

Very true. I will pass on this one, most likely. I am just fine with the standard At Fillmore 2-CD release (the first Miles I heard!). Don't need more Steve Grossman solos.

Edited by Д.Д.

I like the cover!

They should have a deluxe edition that comes with its own lava lamp.

and a bearskin rug like the one Miles was laying on or am I thinking of the wrong album? Is the bonus material Black Beauty material and isn't that a slightly different band? (I liked Black Beauty better, and yes all that Jap only stuff did have a holy grail aura back in the day)

So, I followed the links and I think I answered my own Q - yes the 'bonus' material will be from the Black Beauty gig, which unfortunately makes it unlikely that we will get a complete version of that, or not...

Haven't done any research about how it pertains to this release, but Black Beauty was just one night (and released pretty much unedited,iirc), and other nights were recorded as well (and have circulated).

I don't think it would make sense to include anything already officially issued on a "Bootleg" series...which of course doesn't mean they won't do it. But hold out hope, maybe?

Glad to see the Fillmore East concerts are finally being properly reissued. That was a really far-out band. A lot of good Steve Grossman solos got cut from the original release, which also sounded terrible compared to boots I've heard.

Steve Grossman is among my least favorite 1970-75 Miles saxophonists, but I second this - he sounded a lot better on the April and June stuff that was not officially released.

Go figure... Glad I put up that link.. Looks like we're all going to save $20-30 on that one... :)

MILES AT THE FILLMORE - Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3

http://amzn.com/B00HSCDX70

Just showed up in Amazon US for $52.61

Glad I jumped on the UK offer.

I think I beat you to it - see post #6, right above yours :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Glad to see the Fillmore East concerts are finally being properly reissued. That was a really far-out band. A lot of good Steve Grossman solos got cut from the original release, which also sounded terrible compared to boots I've heard.

Steve Grossman is among my least favorite 1970-75 Miles saxophonists, but I second this - he sounded a lot better on the April and June stuff that was not officially released.

Where I did like the Liebman/Grossman combo was with Elvin Jones.

Haven't done any research about how it pertains to this release, but Black Beauty was just one night (and released pretty much unedited,iirc), and other nights were recorded as well (and have circulated).

I don't think it would make sense to include anything already officially issued on a "Bootleg" series...which of course doesn't mean they won't do it. But hold out hope, maybe?

Judging by the track listing, the Fillmore West stuff is from other nights ("Paraphernalia," "Footprints"). The sextet played four nights at the Fillmore West. You are correct in that Black Beauty was from one night and unedited.

Footprints in 1970?!! Crazy! Never even knew he ever played the tune after early '69. (Well, other than that one all-star gig in Paris(?) in '91.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3inZNj3ZcQ

It's fun to hear this group play these tunes; they tackle them pretty freely. There's an even later recording of "Paraphernalia" from the summer of 1970 once Jarrett joined the band.

so if we have Black Beauty and At Fillmore we may already have some of this material or has that been determined?

The box will feature unedited versions of the heavily chopped-up music on At Fillmore. There's nothing from Black Beauty on this box as far as I can tell.

Edited by B. Clugston

so if we have Black Beauty and At Fillmore we may already have some of this material or has that been determined?

The box will feature unedited versions of the heavily chopped-up music on At Fillmore. There's nothing from Black Beauty on this box as far as I can tell.

thanks!!

According to this page there are bonus tracks from the Fillmore West, but I don't think from the Black Beauty date:

http://www.waff.com/story/24529118/miles-davis-miles-at-the-fillmore-miles-davis-1970-the-bootleg-series-vol-3-introducing-bitches-brew-era-miles-to-fillmore-and-rock-audiences-of

The three additional bonus tracks add another 35 minutes of music, released here for the first time, recorded in April 1970, at the Fillmore West in San Francisco (where Graham put Miles and band on a bill with the Grateful Dead and Stone The Crows). MILES AT THE FILLMOREMiles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3 now contains 135 minutes of previously unreleased music.