Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3

xybert

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(After burning the downloaded FLAC Mastersound to CD-RW.)

The drums are more present in the mix throughout the Mastersound and I like to hear what Al Foster is doing. I think Mark Wilder made a mistake not taking the complete concert in the Mastersound mix as the basis of the 2009 Complete Albums box version. The bass sound is different between mixes and my first reaction was I prefered the 2009 Wilder, but ... the feedback ending also works very well imo.

A quick comparison made it evident that Al Foster is also better audible on the 2009 box version of Pangaea, which is also the complete concert. No need to upgrade that one then.

I therefore just bought a copy of the Mastersound of Agartha. I simply can't go on listening to the 2009 version now that I've heard better.

Long version of disc 2 also avialable on SCRS 9720/1

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx?id=Agharta-CD3

Can you - or anybody - confirm this by experience/ownership? This one I can find with no (apparent) uncertainty, but I do want to make sure that the Losin site is getting it right, that this issue does in fact have the extra music at the end.

I don't mind paying a fair/realistic price, but only if the certainty is there. There's been a fair # of issues of this stuff, and with resellers, there's always the chance that they're linked incorrectly in Amazon (or elsewhere), that yeah, it's Agharta, but no, it's not that version. asking the seller is not always a sure thing either, I asked one guy what the UPC code was for an item, and he told me that the CD didn't have one on it, or if it did he couldn't find it, was is a UPC code, anyway. Well, yeah, ok, buy with confidence, not. And I'm really not into returns of mail-order items, 9.9 times out of 10, I'll just keep the damn thing and find something else to do with it somewhere, sometime, be it an incorrect CD (gifted to a friend's wife this past Christmas) or wrong-size jockstrap (donated to local youth sports program, unopened, of course).

I'm currently in a window of doability for buying these versions, but the window ain't gonna be open forever, nor is it gonna be WIDE open while it is, so I just want to be sure that I get the right thing first time out.

I would tend to trust Losin. That said, i have a Japanese two cd version with the extended second disc, but can't say offhand which of these two it is right now definitively, and don't know where in the chaos of my system it is exactly at present. I'm 90 percent certain it is the other one. If I stumble across it I'll update you. . . but it might take some time as I spend so little time at my own place and when I do I always seem to have somthing to do. . . .

Edited by jazzbo

The link won't work for Jim since you have to be a member for at least 30 days and have posted at least 50 times there to be able to access their Classifieds forum.

So with the recs I got here for the Blu-Specs (just got a shipping confirmation), no one here knows what version in on them? Not that it matters that much to me, but I ordered them because of endorsement of other folks here, so I'd assume some would know? Or did I just miss it in the above discussion?

That would be the regular/shorter ones, right? I'm confused by all this talk about different editions here (the "box" referred to above is always the complete album collection, there never was a Japan 1975 box, right?). Anyway, I'll just wait and see - hope I don't regret this order ...

I do not think you will regret it. Lots of talk in the past on the Hoffmann forum (post#65). The Japanese seem to have recreated the Japanese vinyl mix (with its added reverb) for both Agartha and Pangaea as closely as possible. That is was made it to the Blu-Spec.

The 2009 Complete Columbia box used that recreation for Agartha. For Pangaea Wilder used the earlier mix of the complete concert instead (Mastersound). Hence the very different sound of the two concerts in that set.

I guess I'm not a fan of the original vinyl sound and by ordering the first Mastersound of Aghartha, SRCS 9128-9, I'll get a matching set (sort of).

You will probably get a matching set of vinyl mix recreations for which they apparently even used the original engineer to make things as authentic as possible. People seem to think highly of these editions.

Edited by erwbol

I guess it would boil down to how much you like this band. I loved "At Fillmore" so much when I first discovered it in the 'seventies and beyond, there is no question I am going to get this set. In fact I decided to order the Japanese Blu-spec 2 edition, since I've been waiting for these unedited shows for so long, I'm going to splurge on a special edition.

I guess it would boil down to how much you like this band. I loved "At Fillmore" so much when I first discovered it in the 'seventies and beyond, there is no question I am going to get this set. In fact I decided to order the Japanese Blu-spec 2 edition, since I've been waiting for these unedited shows for so long, I'm going to splurge on a special edition.

how much do I like the band...yes that is right and that is why I was expressing reservations about Grossman as a saxophonist for Miles.... but what folks are saying is that the his best solos got cut and that even if you don't like Grossman, Miles and the rest of the band are so on fire here that you would like it anyway or at least I think that is what I am hearing.

I don't expect a lot of the saxophonists in these bands, Grossman has never really disappointed me, and I do believe he is better on the material edited out of the official release. In this band it's more about Miles and the keyboardists in my opinon, and i've always loved the unrestrained Jarrett and Corea in these shows.

In your shoes perhaps it's best to wait til there are some decent samples to hear? I have been listening to "At Fillmore so long, four decades, I just can't be objective or imagine what it would be like to hear this material for the first time.

Airto, too.

All kinds of manic frenzy-ness going on in that band. Musically focused, sometimes, but compelling as a human study of These Men At This Work, always. Absolutely.

If that's one of your things, a way of approaching appreciation of music (or anything, really), then buy with absolute confidence.

I have the Agharta SCRS 9720/1 version and this is the actual lenght as reported by WinAmp:

1. Miles Davis - Agharta - Prelude - 1975 (32:31)
2. Miles Davis - Agharta - Maiysha - 1975 (13:09)
3. Miles Davis - Agharta - Interlude/Theme From Jack Johnson - 1975 (60:56)

Long version of disc 2 also avialable on SCRS 9720/1

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Disco.aspx?id=Agharta-CD3

Can you - or anybody - confirm this by experience/ownership? This one I can find with no (apparent) uncertainty, but I do want to make sure that the Losin site is getting it right, that this issue does in fact have the extra music at the end.