Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3

xybert

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived today . Disc 1 so far. First impression as good as you'd expect.

Edit to say I've got to the bonus tracks on disc 1 and the SQ is terrible, swishy , all manner of extraneous sounds, switches from mono to crackly stereo - very poor.

Edited by Clunky

I said this in the Vol. 2 thread:

I've listened to the first two discs, as if in a trance. I don't know why they bothered with the bonus material except to make this truly a bootleg, as that is the only parts of this set that sound like one!

I've learned two things by listening to these four nights unedited: one: Stan Tonkle did a fantastic engineering job on these nights, really sounds fantastic, and two: Teo (and Miles?) really did do an amazing job creating an exciting mosaic from these shows, jarring edits and all.

It's so trippy to be listening to this after more than forty years of listening to the 2 lp set. I did have all four bootlegs, but these sound much better.

I don't have my copy of Vol. 3 yet (coming yet from Amazon UK), but when the tracklistings became known, I tracked down all of the bonus cuts on-line (most all were to be found on Youtube, of all things). I can't comment about the sound-quality issues (specifically with the bonus material), but musically speaking -- all three(?) of the bonus tracks sounded fantastic to my ears -- and seemed like very exciting additions to the set.

Well, the sound is definitely very inferior in comparison to the Tonkle-recorded tracks, and yeah, the music is good, I have them elsewhere, but I just don't really feel they belong here and I wish they weren't there. Just my take on it.

I'm with Lon, they are startlingly bad. Having said that they are at the end of just 2 of the discs in what's a very generous package by any standards.

I rarely listened to the original, edited release, but so far I am really enjoying this one! Superb playing, especially by Miles. I had no idea Airto played flute with Miles, which is a nice surprise.

Love the cover, too! Wish I could get this on LP size packaging.

As much as I appreciate the opportunity to hear this well-presented and generous release, it only adds to my sense that jams by these Miles groups contain a lot of pompous meandering nonsense.

The reason for the three Fillmore West tracks is to document tunes the band played in April but did not play in June. Documentation for those who didn't download it. Obviously the sound quality makes that gig unsuitable for separate release.

As much as I appreciate the opportunity to hear this well-presented and generous release, it only adds to my sense that jams by these Miles groups contain a lot of pompous meandering nonsense.

The reason for the three Fillmore West tracks is to document tunes the band played in April but did not play in June. Documentation for those who didn't download it. Obviously the sound quality makes that gig unsuitable for separate release.

I know the "reason" for the tracks, but I'd rather they weren't here. But they are.

Pompous meandering nonsense? No.

Only listened to one track so far. Really liked especially after I pumped up the volume. As the credits say, Keith is in the right channel, chic in the left. But in all the photos they show from the gig it's the opposite. So it's like being in the band facing the audience. Fun to think of it that way.

Only listened to one track so far. Really liked especially after I pumped up the volume. As the credits say, Keith is in the right channel, chic in the left. But in all the photos they show from the gig it's the opposite. So it's like being in the band facing the audience. Fun to think of it that way.

I hate channel swapping! It is like seeing yourself the right way round in a mirror!

If you turn your back to the speakers, that would make it right, no? Only then it would be like you were in the band at the back of the stage with your back turned?

So...what then? Reverse your speaker wiring, have the left output go to the right speaker?

Too much math for R&B!