Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3

xybert

Yup I'm in the same boat. Preordered it months ago on amazon UK and still have not received it...I'm in Canada and usually airmail from the UK takes a week at the most...this sucks!

Waiting on another box from the UK that was sent over 3 weeks ago and still has not arrived...apparently the postal service can raise rates and lower service at the same time :(

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup I'm in the same boat. Preordered it months ago on amazon UK and still have not received it...I'm in Canada and usually airmail from the UK takes a week at the most...this sucks!

Waiting on another box from the UK that was sent over 3 weeks ago and still has not arrived...apparently the postal service can raise rates and lower service at the same time :(

I always blame poor service to Canada on the Canadian Post Office. And I hear the Conservatives are dealing with it by doing away with home delivery. That we're letting them get away with it just shows that we are a docile bunch.

Yup home delivery is on the chopping block here...Canada post is in a sad state for sure.

Always remember having to pick up my mail at a Canada Post locker station at one place I used to live at. Complete pain in the ass.

Hope your Bootleg Vol 3 sets arrive soon to all the Canucks awaiting them !

Edited by sidewinder

I got my copy yesterday and listened to Disc 1. Liked the performances and sound on the main tracks, but like others here have said I do not get the bonus tracks ---- whatever magic there is in bonus track performances is very much obscured by the poor sound quality.

I got my copy yesterday and listened to Disc 1. Liked the performances and sound on the main tracks, but like others here have said I do not get the bonus tracks ---- whatever magic there is in bonus track performances is very much obscured by the poor sound quality.

Funny, the SQ of the bonus tracks doesn't bother me a whole lot, and I'm still glad they're there (the interest factor definitely trumps the SQ issues for me).

I mean, "Footprints" in 1970, are you kidding me??!!! Never in a billion years did I expect to hear one of Miles' 70's bands playing "Footprints".

Funny, the SQ of the bonus tracks doesn't bother me a whole lot, and I'm still glad they're there (the interest factor definitely trumps the SQ issues for me).

I mean, "Footprints" in 1970, are you kidding me??!!! Never in a billion years did I expect to hear one of Miles' 70's bands playing "Footprints".

Right, those two tracks at the end of disc 1 are great performances. The reviews at Amazon complaining about the sound of the remixed set are interesting. We all have different ears and preferences, but for me this music unedited and remixed (as I'm spinning disc 2 now) sheds a picture I really enjoy. To say that this new box sucks and purely a money grab (as one Amazon buyer wrote) represents more of an issue with the listener than what's actually here. I consider Lon's point about the reasons around the edits, but the murk of the mix and the constant jump cuts, never did anything for me on the original double album, which I had as the 1997 reissue previously.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Well, I'd be more interested in having the bonus cuts there if I didn't have them elsewhere, I just wish I had four discs that were the four evenings each on one disc, instead of only two, and two with bad sounding cuts on the end.

I never have considered the original mix (which I know mostly via the original lps, and also on a Sony MasterSound edition) as "murky." I really like the original sound. . .I've listened to it so long.

Such a great reissue!

Thing is, most folks (including - I would venture - most folks here) *don't* have those bonus tracks elsewhere. And even if I did, I appreciate the editorial decision to 'highlight' them by their inclusion here, essentially elevating them above the rest of the material from whence they came (which I'm sure was a good call).

But I understand, different strokes for different folks.

As far as the SQ of the main material, I am beyond thrilled with the clarity of mix/remix. One of THE most stunning recordings of any live Miles I've yet heard (from any decade).

Well, I'd be more interested in having the bonus cuts there if I didn't have them elsewhere, I just wish I had four discs that were the four evenings each on one disc, instead of only two, and two with bad sounding cuts on the end.

I never have considered the original mix (which I know mostly via the original lps, and also on a Sony MasterSound edition) as "murky." I really like the original sound. . .I've listened to it so long.

Such a great reissue!

It sure is! When did I ditch the 2 disc reissue? a few years ago...... I think?. it came out when I was in high school, I remember the ads in Downbeat for the 1997 double disc sets, I wasn't ready for them then, but this new reissue just presents the music in so much detail that I really love how it sounds. The At Fillmore 2 disc reissue was definitely a lot "hotter" with the original mix, I like the expanded dynamic range in this complete presentation, too. The section with Jack launching into swing time behind Keith from June 18th makes a lot more sense IMO then it did on the original album. Killing stuff!

Thing is, most folks (including - I would venture - most folks here) *don't* have those bonus tracks elsewhere. And even if I did, I appreciate the editorial decision to 'highlight' them by their inclusion here, essentially elevating them above the rest of the material from whence they came (which I'm sure was a good call).

But I understand, different strokes for different folks.

As far as the SQ of the main material, I am beyond thrilled with the clarity of mix/remix. One of THE most stunning recordings of any live Miles I've yet heard (from any decade).

I am thankful for the bonus tracks as well. Sure, they sound less than stellar but the soloing and interaction on "Paraphernalia" (one of my fav. Wayne tunes ever) and "Footprints" is just too good to even care.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally listed to all four discs and have to say I like this better than I was expecting. There are certainly some very fine moments on every disc and the Jarrett/Corea interactions seem to be what is unique about this set. I think it is good to have the unedited versions.... but not sure I needed all four nights. I need to listen to it again sometime soon... so these are just initial reactions.

Given the huge excitement about this set before its release....I would have to say that the response on this Board appears to be a muted with the exception of a few very enthusiastic posters.

Yes, it's too bad Stanley Crouch didn't write the notes after talking with Wynton Marsalis about the concerts. That would generate some comments! :)

I'm still excited about it and the good news for me is that my jazz listening time is so limited, and I do have to listen to other things. . . I can still be excited spinning these for many more listenings.

Still haven't opened my set from Amazon.co.uk and done a comparison to the Blu-Spec 2 version from Japan. . . . Maybe soon.

I was initially on the fence about getting this set (at least now, cuz I figured eventually I'd probably get it. As much as I've enjoyed vols 1 & 2, I was thinking, do I really need 4 more disks of electric live Miles?

Well, vol 3 has done nothing but exceeded my expectations (too), and I was really surprised how much I've enjoyed this new material.

the other thing I find odd is that nowhere in the liner notes does Cuscuna discuss the music played on the four discs in the set....unless I missed it... a lot about the sixties ....about personalities etc...but nothing about these sets

I think all the musical discussion was in an essay by Carlos Santana (2,200 works, by one account) -- which didn't end up in the final version of the liners.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally purchased this set (thanks Lon!) and i am seriously digging this music. Worth noting that i had never heard any of this material before, this is my first exposure, un-edited or otherwise. This is instant favourite stuff for me, sort of blows any arguments about whether we should be listening to new stuff or old stuff out of the water. To me this music makes the most sense out of any of the post Bitches Brew stuff i've heard. It just works. 'Call it anything' etc but i guess free funk is as good a descriptor as any, it's just so funky and abstract, reminds me a lot of the way that the free bop of the Tony/Wayne/Ron/Herbie group was so swinging and abstract. This feels like a natural progression.

Sound quality of the main event is excellent, the bonus tracks sound rough but apart from a quick 10 second listen i've skipped them so far (i'll get to them, i know they'll be worth listening to, just don't want to interrupt the main trip right now!).

Anyway, loving this, don't really feel like listening to anything else right now. This is not a 'for hardcore fans only' live release or 'for completists only, you can live without it' thing. Utterly compelling, essential music in my opinion.

Edited by xybert