Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

I like this place so much, I went back to the old handle and resurrected one of my favorite topics (and a better place to talk about it can't be found):

GREEEAZE!!!

Right now, I'm spinnin' one of my favorite slabs o' greazze to come out in the last coupla years: Plas Johnson & Red Holloway's Keep That Groove Going! And brother, do they EVER!!!

Got some Brother Jack just oozin' to be spun later. Let the greeeaze fly!!!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about downloading "Blue Flames" off emusic the other day and wondered how the session was. Might have to definately do it now. I really love those Shirley/Stanley dates. It's taken me a few years to really appreciate them. Husslin' really made me do some re-evaluation.

Right now I'm listening to some Patterson. I've been on a kick.

Good to see you back Al, and thanks for reinstating "Keepin' It greazy!!!" officially. I thought about doing it the other day, but it wouldn't of been right unless you did it! :D

yeah, she's really nice to listen to. Always musical and grooving. The hardest combination to achieve on any instrument, much less an organ. I've always been bummed somewhat that on most of her sessions there was an upright bassist. I wonder if it was a "sexist" thing in a way on her producer's part. I love her bass playing on the few things she cut that way. That said, now as time goes by I'm enjoying the upright sessions more and more...just because they're different and show a completely different side of things from the instrument. Still wish she was with us. She died the week before Patton to my recollection.

Uhhhhh..... ever have one of those feelings like you left out something so obvious, that you feel ashamed to admit your colossal blunder? I know I did tonight:

ORGANISSIMO!!!!!!

Keepin' the greeeeaze alive and well! I listened to the sound samples, and hopefully when finances aren't so tight, I'm gonna get one!!!

Thanks for the board and the greeeeaze, dude. Hope I can catch you guys this summer!

I actually had someone say that to me today at work. He came in, saw the CD sitting on my boss' desk and said, "Hey, is that you?"

"Yeah it's my new trio CD."

"Cool man, how much?"

"$15"

"Cool. I'll just have Skippy burn me a copy."

And he was serious.

I said, "I'd rather you didn't."

Reminds me of a story that a guitarist friend told me. He put out a solo guitar CD of Christmas tunes last December and he actually had a guy come up to him at a gig and say, "Man, I LOVED your Christmas disc! I burned copies for all my friends and they love it too!"

He then proceeded to tear into the guy.

:)

**Spam alert** - by proceding you are willingly exposing yourself to spam and agree to except the risk inherent to such activity and are confirming that viewing spam is legal in the county, state, province, parish (it's a Louisiana thing) country where you reside.

Righteous Buddha update.

Talked to my friend Dave, bassist for RB, and my homeboys are putting the finishing touches on their next release! Ten new original songs!

He's supposed to get me a copy as soon as it gets mixed down. I've heard some the new material live and it's GREASE from the same mold as their first effort with the expected growth from being together about 2 years more. Great stuff! There's a latin flavored number that rocks like early Santana (only without the guitar and interestingly, it is not missed!) and another tune initially called J.B. (because these guys write songs faster than they can name 'em) which is based on a James Brown inspired groove. The Godfather would be proud!

If you missed them the first time, check out their review on All About Jazz. Their website is not active currently but samples can be heard on their MP3.com site. I can still get copies of their first release if anyone is interested.

ALRIIIIIGHT!!!

I was listening to Black, Blue, and Bamboo the other day, and was gonna post a link to their website, but it wasn't working that day. I'm glad they're still around and crankin' out the greeeaze!!!

So much greeaze, so little time.

So I've had to settle for Harold Vick's Steppin' Out, and when one has to "settle" for the Big Vick, one's got it bad and that's reeeeeal gooood!!! :excited: A sea of greeeeaze just pourin' outta the speakers!

Al, I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying Righteous Buddha!

Their website has been down a loooooong time but Dave tells me it will be up and running soon when the new disc gets out. All three of those guys are very busy with their day jobs and unfortunately things like gigs and new music and websites have to take a back seat. But they are very much still together and active and creating some great music. Makes you wonder what guys like that could do with some serious time on the road or in the studio. It's a shame we may never know.

Two I listened to this evening get major kudos. Here 'Tis and Fred Jackson's Hootin' and Tootin' are as greezy as you're going to get. Willette and Green make a great team, but Grant Green, in my book, is the guitar player for organ players, he never wastes a note.

Edited by Matthew

Ooooooooh YEEAAHHHH, baby! Hootin' and Tootin' was one that inspired the original Greazy thread at the Blue Note Bored. And there's TWO sessions on that disc (well, the Conn anyway. Y'know, this would've been a PERFECT Rare Groove release). Who knew Sam Jones could get so funky?

For those of you that have the Sonny Stitt Mosaic, I just recently dicsovered a date with Don Patterson on disc 8 that cranks up the greeeaze about 12 notches! :excited: Man, I gotta find some Sonny Stitt greeaze, I know he did a bunch with Brother Jack, Don Patterson, and others. Any greeeazy Stitt recommendations from you guys?

Big Al, Big Al, Big Al....what are we going to do with you! You don't have any funky Stitt. Shame on you! Run to your favorite CD store now and get...

Sonny Stitt/Don Patterson Vol. 2 Legends of Acid Jazz (Green Cover)

Sonny Stitt Legends of Acid Jazz (Blueish/Pink Cover)

Gene Ammons Legends of Acid Jazz (this one contains a Stitt/Ammons session with Leon Spencer on

organ titled "talk that talk". bad ass funk and jazz)

This will be a good start. There is a lot more. All the Stitt/Patterson CDs on Prestige are some of the best organ/horn things ever done. They are essential. Check out the www.fantasyjazz.com website to see what you need.... :D

All three of those guys are very busy with their day jobs and unfortunately things like gigs and new music and websites have to take a back seat.  But they are very much still together and active and creating some great music.  Makes you wonder what guys like that could do with some serious time on the road or in the studio.  It's a shame we may never know.

Don't I know it! :( There's a bumper sticker I see from time to time that says, Real musicians have day jobs!

That's heartening, and true in a way. I have friends who are full time musicians, and some of them look to me with envy because I have the luxury of choosing to play the music that I want to, rather than having to take every gig that comes along. Nevertheless, there are only so many hours in the day. Not a lot of time to practice. :eye:

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to go overboard on the greeeaze? All I've listened to for the past few days are discs with the Wholly Greeeazy Trinity--BIG John Patton, Grant Green, and Ben Dixon--on 'em. And in one of those rare moments of completist nonsense, I'm almost finished getting my hands on everything recorded by them. So far, the only one that's giving me fits (in terms of trying to find) is BLUES FOR LOU. I saw it at Tower in Atlanta a couple weeks ago, but didn't get it (when am I gonna learn?) cuz I figured I'd just get it at the Tower in Dallas. Well, neither Texas Tower has it, CD Source didn't have it, Waterloo didn't have it. GEEEZZZZ!!!!

(Hey, if anyone has a copy they'd like to trade or sell, or if anyone lives near the Atlanta Tower and wouldn't mind picking up that copy (and Lou Donaldson's GOOD GRACIOUS if they have that, too!), I would happily and quickly reciprocate.)

Anyway, I can't get enough of these guys and can't say enough good things about 'em. Sure, there's other more popular organ combos out there, but in my mind, these guys were wholly unified in their sound. These guys hit a groove hard and stuck to it like glue! Plus, these guys wrote so many of their own songs (which, naturally, belong in a Greeeeaze Hall of Fame): stuff like "Funky Mama," "Fat Judy," and "The Silver Meter" keep the funk flowin'.

Finally, no group puts a smile on my face like these guys. How can you not smile and move to The Natural Soul? Brightens my day (and greeeazes it up) every time I listen to it!

Big Al....

Thanks for startin' up some greeeeze. I've been culling through some discs and comps and have been slathering up some little silver platters in iTunes with these combos. Solid LARD here! The GOOD Cholesterol!!

Hittin' the Jug ...Gene Ammons

Rock Candy ... Jack McDuff

Mighty Burner ...Charles Earland

First Gravy ...Leon Spencer

The Alobamo Kid ...Rusty Bryant

Que Sera, Sweetie ...Willis Jackson

Groovin' with Jug ...Gene Ammons

Soul Shack ...Sonny Stitt

Pool Shark ...Willis Jackson

Soulful Drums ...Jack McDuff

Nuther'n Like Thuther'n ...Willis Jackson

Twistin' The Jug ...Gene Ammons