Big Al

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smith_lonni_mamawaile_101b.jpg

how is this?

ss1

Not one of my faves. I'm not a huge fan of the Lonnie/Kudo period. Pretty low on the Lonnie list for me, but others may differ.

On the other hand, I very much find this one a keeper.

"Mama Wailer" is a great tune. Pick it up, SS1.

I relistened to this the other day and found it absolutely inspired. Great LP I've really ignored unjustly. Ron Carter plays some super badass electric bass too. :tup

smith_lonni_mamawaile_101b.jpg

how is this?

ss1

Not one of my faves. I'm not a huge fan of the Lonnie/Kudo period. Pretty low on the Lonnie list for me, but others may differ.

On the other hand, I very much find this one a keeper.

"Mama Wailer" is a great tune. Pick it up, SS1.

I relistened to this the other day and found it absolutely inspired. Great LP I've really ignored unjustly. Ron Carter plays some super badass electric bass too. :tup

Have you picked this one up yet, SS1?

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's got a KILLER "Back at the Chicken Shack." I don't have it, but I should.

It's definately on of Reuben's best recordings ever. He really gets to show himself a little more on this one as opposed to a producer making him play "Ronnie's Bonnie" for the upteenth time (hey, I love that song too!).

Just had to say that, after listening to Let 'em Roll again, that this is a monster record. Latona is such a great song, and the way this cd is sequenced, I mean, can The Shadow Of Your Smile come at any other place? This has to be at the very top of my essential organ records.

7777897952.jpg

Just had to say that, after listening to Let 'em Roll again, that this is a monster record.  Latona is such a great song, and the way this cd is sequenced, I mean, can The Shadow Of Your Smile come at any other place?  This has to be at the very top of my essential organ records.

7777897952.jpg

You got THAT right! :tup:tup:tup

Just had to say that, after listening to Let 'em Roll again, that this is a monster record.  Latona is such a great song, and the way this cd is sequenced, I mean, can The Shadow Of Your Smile come at any other place?  This has to be at the very top of my essential organ records.

7777897952.jpg

This is a fun record. Maybe a tiny bit too slick, but these guys lock into a really nice groove. "The Turnaround" is great.

Guy