Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been listening to Lonnie Smith's Think! a couple of times, and it is a great cd. I wouldn't call it heavily greased-up, more in the Let 'em Roll sound, with good arrangments of the songs. Lee Morgan & David Newman make a great front line (of course), with Smith in primo form. Just seems as if the drums are way up front in the RVG mix, but that's a small quible for a great cd.

Speaking of Let 'em Roll, I guess I should get the Mosaic Select of Big John, despite the garbled sound on the first cut. Trying to make up my mind on it though.

Guest akanalog

One of the greeziest cds has to be Charles Earland's "Leaving this Planet." 

I picked it up just recently; why did it take me so long?  I was scared off by the synthesizers and wah-wah guitar stuff, but this cd burns. 

It's supreme party music.  Check it out...

greezy? you think so? i like "leaving this planet" but i dunno i would call it greasy.

look for earland's "dynamite brothers" for a funkier version of the "leaving this planet" style, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

gears aint greasy but i like it. it's a mizell thing though. so you know what to expect.

gamblers life is probably better in this regard if you can find it.

both aren't really about organ but more about synths and some e-piano.

i suspect, ss1, you will not like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/mcduff_j_cat.html

anyone pick up / hear mcduff's silken soul or soulful drums?

worth the spin?

thanks

Yeah, I've got "Soulful drums". Much though I'm a McDuff and Dukes fan, "Soulful drums" really isn't up to much. And to add insult to injury, it's coupled on the CD with my third copy of "Hot Barbecue" - which is also on the BGP edition of "Live" and on the LP twofer with "New boss guitar". Grrr!

The CLASSIC version of "Soulful drums" is the one on "Screamin'" If you've got that, (and hasn't every McDuff fan?) you've got it.

I haven't got around to Silken Soul yet. You get more than half of "Walk on by" on this CD, and that's an LP I have always regretted flogging when I was on the dole in 1969. I've got a couple of the other tracks on different LPs. The title track is off another LP I unfortunately had to flog. It's tremendous; in my view, the most exciting piece of big band organ arranging ever!

MG

• 5 weeks later...