Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

Man oh man oh MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN I wish I coulda seen them! I was hoping to see them earlier this summer, but that trip fell through. My employer keeps talking about opening a warehouse up in Flint; hopefully, they'll send ME as the company rep!! :g

Needless to say conn500, I am SOOOOOOO jealous!!!

Keepin' the greeeeeaze alive: THANKS GUYS!!! :tup :tup :tup

If you do get assigned to Flint or plan to visit the area, let me know and we'll hook up.

Yaaahhh!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perfectly greeeeazy moment: listenin' to Jimmy Smith's HOME COOKIN', waitin' at a STOP sign, next to a Grandy's, when the smell of Southern-Fried-everything starts driftin' thru the windows........ mmmmm mmmmm MMMMMM!!! Damn, sho' is GREEEEEEAZY!!!!

Hey Man, I used to work and GRANDY'S when I was in high school! That place is GREASY! :D

Damn, I'm so hungry right now... some fried chicken would be the shit!

I can't wait until we get our new oven in here. It's actually an OLD oven, but new to us. It's a 50s Fridgidaire... made by General Motors! The damn thing looks like a car! It's awesome. The best feature is a soup pot that sits on a burner that goes down into the oven so that the pot, which is a foot tall, is only sticking out of the oven about 2 inches. You can slow cook soup or you can fill that baby with oil and deep fry to your heart's content (or your heart attack, whichever comes first!)

You know the first thing I'm cookin' on that baby is some chicken... and I think I'll throw on Freddie Roach's "Mo' Greens, Please" while I'm doing it!

:g

Finally got my hands on a nice and greeezy Lou Donaldson Argo record --Rusty Musty that is funky as all get out. Grant Green is amazing, as always. It has enough grease to fry some chicken on!

Musty Rusty is also a nice showcase for under-recorded and under-appreciated organist Billy Garner. He has a nice, distictive style that comes through well on that Argo date. Great LP!!! :tup

I have to confess that I finally heard Jimmy Smith's "Back at the Chicken Shack" on the radio the other day. :w

(No, I don't have the CD yet: I'm holding out for the eventual RVG! I hope!)

I'm so ashamed. That's like the golden goblet o' greeeaze, and I've been passing it up all these years. Heard it in the car; turned the engine off and slid all the way to my destination! :excited:

you have got to be kidding???

do *not* wait for the RVG, it will only SLIIIIIIIDE out of the jewel case anyway

more grease than the broom closet at the hog plant ...

Eric

I have to confess that I finally heard Jimmy Smith's "Back at the Chicken Shack" on the radio the other day.  :w

(No, I don't have the CD yet: I'm holding out for the eventual RVG! I hope!)

I'm so ashamed. That's like the golden goblet o' greeeaze, and I've been passing it up all these years. Heard it in the car; turned the engine off and slid all the way to my destination! :excited:

you have got to be kidding???

do *not* wait for the RVG, it will only SLIIIIIIIDE out of the jewel case anyway

more grease than the broom closet at the hog plant ...

Eric

:g

Stop denying yoh-self, Big Al!! :rsmile:

May as well give up waiting; I think the RVG lists from here until mid-2004 don't include either title. But you just know that the minute I pick 'em up, Blue Note's gonna change their minds!!! :P

Besides, I've been seriously grooving to the new Steve Winwood, ABOUT TIME!!! I know it has it's own thread, but this is BY FAR the greeeeeeeeaziest non-jazz album of the year!!!

Can I at least be on probation since I got Jimmy Smith's HOME COOKIN recently? Nowhere near the one-two punch of SHACK & SPECIAL, but greeeeeazy nonetheless. Besides, even the cover makes my mouth water for some serious greeeens!!!

Edited by Big Al

Hey Big Al !!

Good News !!

The latest Righteous Buddha is out!! Looks like about 12 cuts. Recorded in the studio so hopefully better sound than their last "live" recording from the recital hall.

For those who don't remember they are an organ trio (B3, upright bass, drums) from Baton Rouge. Similar to MMWs funkier stuff. Lots of New Orleans influence.

I saw the disc today while I was picking up the RVGs. I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a sneak preview of this one from my buddy Dave (the bass player) but I'm glad it's finally out.

I'm going to try to get the hook up from Dave ASAP meaning $10 per disc which I gladly pass on to any of you who are interested. I eat the shipping but don't mind. I just view it as supporting the group.

I haven't heard this disc yet but I'm sure it'll be great. The first album was recorded after they were together only a few months and it rocked. Now after almost three years together they are a really tight unit.

More later when I get my greazy little hands on a copy.

Edited by scottb

SWEET!!!

Yes oh YES I am interested in getting a copy! Looking forward to hearing this. Folks, if you haven't heard their greeeeazy little treat called Black, Blue, and Bamboo, get it now to whet your appetite. Especially anyone who was wondering what else sounds like Brother Jack's Moon Rappin'! :excited:

OK, Here's the scoop (of Crisco, of course)

The new Righteous Buddha is entitled GET RIGHT!

I have been out of town for a few days and prior to leaving I puchased a copy at the drummer's music store. I spun it continuously in the rent a car and gave it several close listens. The very first listen I was a little suprised and disappointed, thinking there were only a few good songs that measured up to the last disc but on the second run I couldn't tell which ones were the weak ones and now after several times through some of my least favorite initially have become my favorites. I remember now that the first time through BLACK, BLUE AND BAMBOO I had a similar reaction.

I'm not very good at analyzing or reviewing music but I'll try to give you a idea about this one. First, Righteous Buddha is a bit hard to define as pointed out by a reviewer from All About Jazz. Even if I cheat and use them to describe themselves it's still hard. Because they've changed from the last disc. I guess there are a bit like MMW (same line up - organ, bass, drums) with similarities in their sound to early, more rootsy MMW but with more than a little New Orleans thrown in.

Overall the sound is better as a results of recording at a studio. Not too important to me, you could listen through a tin-can phone and it would still make you shake your rump.

The lineup - no changes except for an uncredited sax appearence on a couple tracks. (Could be Dave the bassist - I'll ask when I reach him.) What has changed are the instruments. John Smart still plays the B3 and his Wurlitzer but now also add a Fender Rhodes and even synth. To me he is like a Jerry Garcia on keyboards. He can churn out melodic solos all day long without being boring or reiterating repetitious redundancies over and over again which is a good thing because he handles nearly all the solo work.. (He is the "righteous buddha" by the way.) Partly because of all the textures with the different keyboards. Dave Hinson plays some electric as well as upright bass. Behind Chris Wood of MMW, he's the funkiest upright player I've heard. When he gets his turn , he takes it. Great melodic solos. Chris Dejohn is still so funky "you have to open a window" as one reviewer remarked.

The tunes -

1 Au Jus - just sop your poboy in this and let the grease drip down your arm. This one is similar to their previous tunes. Very MMWish

2 Get Right - similar hook as Jimmy C from the last disc but reworked enough to be fresh

3 Groove For Junior - I don't who Junior is but he must be one funky muther. After the intensity builds on a repeated theme which is more soulful than funky, the stuff hits the fan when Buddha enlightens us will a lazer beam synth solo that brings to mind Emerson Lake and Palmer. (This makes me laugh out loud every time I hear it but is somehow not cheezy.) Sax solo ( is that you Dave?) and B3 follow.

4 Why You Did That - funky number to a Mardi Gras shuffle - typical RB

5 So Much For Love - Funky ballad? Is there such a thing ? Think of the Meters.

6 Ancient Chinese Secret - OK this one's tough. If Jerry Garcia was Chinese and played Fender Rhodes, backed up by a Afro-Brazilian rhythm section produced by the Mizell brothers in 1973, you might get something that sounds like this.

7 Sanctify - Motown, Ike and Tina and a young Stevie Wonder (Uptight) are the prophets that inspire this sermon to Sanctify yo' soul.

8 Neckbone - need I say more? You name a song Neckbone and you better bring it. They do. Highlighted by a Headhunters sounding synth solo.

9 Fish Eleven - more booty shakin' as I've come to expect.

10 Batter Whipped - and ready for the hot grease!! Starts slowly with Hendrixian Little Wing intro then it kicks into a funky mutation of Sweet Home Alabama with more Emerson Lake and Palmer laser synth.

Righteous Buddha has built on their funky foundations adding tasty retro textures and pull it off sounding fresher than tomorrow's donuts. So GET RIGHT and get your copy.

You guys have got to ckeck this one out. Let me know if you want a copy and I'll try to get one to you. $10 get this one to your door first class.

Scott

Edited by scottb