Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love "Rock Candy" too. But to swing it hard like that in D flat has always been something on my "to do" list which I've never quite gotten around to. :rolleyes: McDuff could swing in Dflat, but he seems to be about the only one that liked to. Even Don Patterson seemed to stuggle just a tad (for Patterson that is) in that key on "Deuces Wild."

You know, I haven't heard the original in so long I forgot it's in D flat!!! NOBODY plays it in that key, not even Joey D.

Which reminds me: Another great swinger, McGriff's "All About My Girl". Nobody plays that in the correct key either which is A flat. That's the key McGriff originally recorded it in. We play it in that key and my solos suck, but at least I'm learning the key!!! :)

OK Big Al, B3er,

Let's have a little Righteous Buddha feedback.

What did you think about that crazy synth and that Chinese tune with Afro-brazilian backup?

Sorry this has taken so long; between this and the Organissimo disc, I've had a HELLUVA lot o' greeeeeaze stains to clean up around here!!!

Now, I will say that I still like Black, Blue, and Bamboo slightly better than this disc, but that's not a knock against the present disc. BB&B was just so raw, so atmospheric, all the while being gritty and funky. Each track was a new journey into space greeeeaze.

That out of the way, I'm happy to report that Get Right is very likely the best album of the year by an organ trio NOT named Organissimo. ;)

Seriously, I got this sucker in the car, hit the highway, and cranked it up fully expecting some righteous grooves and sum serious greeeeaze. And lemme tell ya, the first three tracks contain some of the fattest grooves in the land; they sent this highway-cruiser into deep-fried heaven. But the best of these is track #3, "Groove for Junior." Almost sounds like what a HeadHunters follow-up might've sounded like had Herbie kept that band together a little longer. It's a shame the sax player isn't credited because he groooves his ass off!!! And that synth solo is wild beyond anything I would've imagined, and yet it isn't out-of-place at all!!! Good solid greeeeeeaze here!!

"So Much for Love" has such a dirrrrty groove, you can't help but just move yo' head. This track sould easily have fit on BB&B.

And as I'm listening to it right now, "Ancient Chinese Secret" is on, and it is sooooo cool!!!! I like how the beginning sounds like Weather Report, because the rest of the track has a very Black Market-ish feel to it.

"Sanctify" does just that, with an extra helping of gravy on the side, (Without causing anyone to have a conniption, this sorta reminded me of "I Stand Accused" from Elvis Costello's Get Happy!!! album) while "Neckbone" and "Fish Eleven" keep things nice and juicy (and dig that sax solo on "Fish Eleven." This guy should be a permanent member!!!)

"Batter Whipped" will catch ya by surprise if yer not payin' attention. It starts off with about a minute of solo preachin' by Bruddha John Smart on the Fender Rhodes before he counts off for the band, and they come smokin' in on one of the most righteous grooves this side of a Jack McDuff record!!!

Worth every penny, a worthy follow-up to BB&B, and hopefully a sign of greater things to come for these guys. Blue Note, Verve, hell, even ECM would be doing the world a favor by signing these guys!

In other words, after you've purchased the Organissimo disc (whattya mean you don't have it? You're reading this thread and you don't have the Organissimo disc? Shame on you! Shame on me, too, because I let this thread go seven pages before I ordered mine. I'm a bad greeeeazer), GET THIS DISC!!! It's called Get Right!, and that's what you need to do: GET RIGHT!!!

As a side note to scottb, I got the sticker today! Verrrrry groovy!!!

I love "Rock Candy" too.  But to swing it hard like that in D flat has always been something on my "to do" list which I've never quite gotten around to. :rolleyes:  McDuff could swing in Dflat, but he seems to be about the only one that liked to.  Even Don Patterson seemed to stuggle just a tad (for Patterson that is) in that key on "Deuces Wild."

You know, I haven't heard the original in so long I forgot it's in D flat!!! NOBODY plays it in that key, not even Joey D.

Which reminds me: Another great swinger, McGriff's "All About My Girl". Nobody plays that in the correct key either which is A flat. That's the key McGriff originally recorded it in. We play it in that key and my solos suck, but at least I'm learning the key!!! :)

Someone requested "All About My Girl" the other night (I couldn't believe it), I had to confess I couldn't play it (A flat seems to be a key favored by McGriff but nobody else). I played "Kiko" instead and they seemed cool with that, but I was a bit embarrassed and have vowed to learn it in A Flat like a man! :rolleyes: However, "Rock Candy" in Dflat...forget it. I just can't do it where it'd be interesting for anybody to listen to. ^_^

Swingin' in D flat....I can dream can't I.... :D

Edited by Soul Stream

Hey, Lee wrote Speedball in Db! Lush Life. Body and Soul. Don Rader's chart for Woody's band, Greasy Sack Blues. Wasn't Basie's Blues in Hoss Flat in Db?

I was in a circumstance where I had to deal with the key of Db or die. Once I got over the initial shock, I found that there are a lot of ideas that lay really well in Db (of course that applies to my medieval instrument-your mileage may vary!).

Edited by Free For All

"Doodlin'" is in D flat too. To really swing a bassline in D flat on the organ is no easy feat. It's because the fingering doesn't really lay right..., it's a bitch. But like most things, it can be done if practiced over and over and over :huh: . Hey, swingin's an organ bassline in ANY key was a bitch the first time around. But there's a reason most all organ blues shuffles are in F, B flat, G, C, E flat, A flat and last (and yes, least) D flat is because that is the order of difficulty pretty much.

And if you really are a badass, trying shufflin' in A natural ala' Leon Spencer on Sneak Preview....that guy was just nuts. :D

B3-er...I'll make a pact with you...we'll both learn it in D flat and be real men about it!!!! :wacko: Just a side note....McDuff said that D flat was the first key he learned to play in on the organ. Guess that's why Rock Candy was easy for him. <_<

Edited by Soul Stream

Hi my name is Scott and I'm a greazaholic.

I want to come clean. I, like Big Al, did not have a copy of BACK AT THE CHICKEN SHACK because I too thought this title was prime for the RVG treatment.

I admit I was wrong and am happy to report that I have corrected the situation. I appreciate your understanding and support.

I'm greazin' to my latest compilation.

This is my Blue Note organ sampler

1 The Champ - Jimmy Smith

2 Trouble (No 2) - Stanley Turrentine (Shirley Scott)

3 Baby's Minor Lope - Grant Green (Baby Face Willette)

4 Congo Chant - John Patton (that bass line kills me)

5 Orange Peel - Reubam Wilson

6 Grantstand - Grant Green (Jack McDuff)

7 Down Home Funk (Groove Holmes)

8 Plaza De Toros - Larry Young

9 Blue Juice - Jimmy McGriff

I failed to mention Lonnie Smith got left off as well.

Actually one of the criteria for this disc was that the song wasn't on my previous compilation disc. Also I was trying to have one tune for each organist.

The only Roach I have is GOOD MOVE and the only Earland I have on Blue Note is as a sideman with Lou Donaldson. It was a make up call from the last disc which had NO JIMMY SMITH!! (the theme of that disc was "the funk" and not "the organ" and at the time my funkiest Jimmy I had was on VERVE (ROOT DOWN)

OK greazers, I know there's a lot of new RVGs out there and the new Selects as well and the Conns on the way next week. So I'm offering a special!!

I found an extra copy of Righteous Buddha's first disc Black , Blue and Bamboo lying around so the next person who gets their new one Get Right I will offer the first disc at the discounted price of $8. That's $18 for two disc of some real GREAZE, shipped to your door.

Revisited an old favorite of mine that never gets talked about too much -- Jimmy Smith's Six Views of the Blues. Just love the way that Cecil Payne plays that big heavy sounding bari sax. Nice funky, bluesy, and not to mention greazy playing by everyone. If you don't have this one, pick it up! It's a vastly underrated Jimmy Smith cd.

Having a great afternoon so far. I've read this whole thread from start to finish -- at the same time, I'm downloading all my Jimmy Smith to my hard drive so I don't have to lug cds to my office all the time, AND, and the while, listening to Cool Blues & Back at the Chicken Shack. Life is good sometimes. B)

Edited by Matthew