Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

we should have a slab of greazze selection of the month.

it doesn't look like i'm gettin picked in the other s.o.t.w. thread.

maybe we can start when patton's select is released.

ss1

I really like this idea, would anyone be interested in this? Or is the current AOTW enough?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an extra copy of Righteous Buddha's first disc Black , Blue and Bamboo lying around so the next person who gets their new one Get Right I will offer the first disc at the discounted price of $8. That's $18 for two disc of some real GREAZE, shipped to your door.

As the proud owner of both discs, I can heartily recommend that this is a HELLUVA bargain!!! Prime bayou greeeeaze!!! :tup:tup:tup

I like the idea of the weekly slab o' greaze, too. Although, I hafta admit that this week's AOW is, IMOSHO, verrrry juicy!

Been stuck in my office, typing on my computer all day. The good side of that is I'm catching up on my dose of greazy stuff, and I will now make this solemn statement: "LATONA" IS THE COOLEST & HIPPEST THING EVER WRITTEN! Thank you. B)

Edited by Matthew

Cut no. 2, off of Big John Patton's Let 'Em Roll. I must play that cut ten times whenever I hear it. It's just so cool and bad and hip and inventive and fun. :wub:

I have GOT to go get that back. Dirty little secret: I used to own this little slab o' greaze. Traded it away for something awhile back, don't know what. I GOTS to get that back!!!

• 2 weeks later...

what pattom/smith/baby face songs are good examples for listening to the player also perform the bassline? was shirley scott known for this? i listen to the stuff and i just don't hear it at all. i must be missing something. i hope i ain't the only one.

i sat less than 5' behing joey d watching him perform with the pedals.

thanks

SS1

I wish I knew. But don't "Candy" just fit nicely into the groove? Especially on "The Turnaround!"

I'm happy to report that I finally have this back in my collection. I sure would like to know what drugs I was on when I traded this away the first time. I forgot how beautifully driving "Latona" is, and how plainly beautiful "Shadow of Your Smile" is, and how rollicking "Jakey" is. It's all good fun, and Hutch adds a spice of a different kind to the proceedings!

This cd is a great example of how to program the songs of a given session. Why can't producers get this part right? Let 'Em Roll PLAYS great, the music is great in the way it leads into each number -- the contrasts, the tempos, everything. It's become an lost art.

Let 'Em Roll is a masterpiece. Like you said. This is a perfectly tracked album. The playing is superb.

About as beautiful a record as Blue Note ever made. :tup

I've got many many jazz organ CD's (maybe 100-150 with the organist as leader and god knows how many with organists as sidemen), and it is likely if I had to pick my desert island organ disc, it would be Let 'Em Roll... love that guitar/organ/vibes combination! (Another favorite would be Street of Dreams with Larry Young)... Let 'Em Roll just gets better and better as you run through the disc..

:g:g:g

...and it's my very favorite for sure Blue Note cover art. The art also got co-opted for the Blue Movies cover.

Speaking of greeze, how 'bout some Johnny Lytle with his organist Milt Harris and "The Village Caller"? :excited:

Been relistening to "Let 'em Roll" after a long hiatus. Great pick as slab o' greaze of the week! :g

It's a great rollicking session but I would rate Patton's later work as slightly better. The great man's style was already established at the time of this session. The addition of Hutcherson to the date is fine by me; and I think Finch does a fine job on the drums.

this one needs the rvg treatment badly

Interesting comment, SS.

The mastering sounds fine to me. How does it compare to the Mosaic? I do believe you've got both, right?

I'm satisfied enough with the recording and probably wouldn't buy it in RVG if it came out. I mean, you never know with these aging and overplayed master tapes!!

The program order of Let 'Em Roll is truly wonderful.

My favorite cut is The Turnaround, but they're all good, and it's just so enjoyable.

Did Big John ever cut a bad record? I don't think so - and I've got all the Blue Notes, Minor Swing, This One's for JA, and all of the sideman appearances I know about - Lou Donaldson, Grant Green, George Braith (Laughing Soul), Grassella Oliphant (The Grass Is Greener), Johnny Griffin (someone mentioned this one earlier - it's also interesting hearing Hank Jones on organ on that one), and Red Holloway (the Legends of Acid Jazz)...

The only one I'm missing that's available on CD as a leader is Blue Planet Man. Any sideman appearances that I missed?

I'm goin' slidin' through da greaze now! :excited::excited:

The only one I'm missing that's available on CD as a leader is Blue Planet Man.  Any sideman appearances that I missed?

Patton plays on side 2 of a LP by Clifford Jordan on Vortex (an Atlantic sub-label): "Soul Fountain". I think it's only reissued on CD in Japan.

I greazed up this week fo' sho'. For the last five or six months, I've been listening a lot more intently to my b3 discs and taking note of what you fellas have to recommend. I just read through this thread in entirety and realized that I HAVE alot of shortening in my pantry if you know what I mean.

On Thursday, I came across a VAT of five-day old grease. OOooOoooooooh boy.

Jimmy McGriff & Horace Ott ELECTRIC FUNK is just plain dope. There ain't no car too long, no hub cap with too many spokes, no vinyl top with too much armor all, not interior too tricky for this shit.

Jimmy Smith GOT MY MOJO WORKIN'/I'M A HOOTCHIE COOCHIE MAN Good people of United Organissimo House of Faith, I am here to tell you TODAY that I have SEEN THE LIGHT. I must confess, before now, my knowledge of Jimmy Smith was sinful. SINFUL! I am a changed man. I am a changed man. I have heard the master and I am coming home. I am telling you now, good people, I am walking the straight and narrow. YES! Can I get a KENNY BURRELL!

Brother Jack McDuff DOWN HOME COOKIN' I have seen a greazier plate before, but you can't go wrong with an image like that! Recorded down in Memphis and the bass sounds so good. Claude, have mercy.

Reuben Wilson LOVEBUG Lee Morgan? George Coleman? Damn. Some fine music here, but I find myself wishing they didn't try and work out those popular tunes. Stick to the sly! I'll listen to BLUE MODE and lick my fingers to the bone!

Still looking for MOTHERSHIP and the PATTON SELECT. Groove on children. Groove on!