Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

Jimmy Smith GOT MY MOJO WORKIN'/I'M A HOOTCHIE COOCHIE MAN Good people of United Organissimo House of Faith, I am here to tell you TODAY that I have SEEN THE LIGHT. I must confess, before now, my knowledge of Jimmy Smith was sinful. SINFUL! I am a changed man. I am a changed man. I have heard the master and I am coming home. I am telling you now, good people, I am walking the straight and narrow. YES! Can I get a KENNY BURRELL!

AMEN and have-more-greeeeaze!!! KB is my absolute faaaaave to play alongside the Master! Especially during THE SERMON!!! :tup

Brother Jack McDuff DOWN HOME COOKIN' I have seen a greazier plate before, but you can't go wrong with an image like that! Recorded down in Memphis and the bass sounds so good. Claude, have mercy.

Put yer hand up high and SHOUT "Have mo' greeens!!!"

I'll listen to BLUE MODE and lick my fingers to the bone!

Daaaaaaaaaamn right!!! That's the one that makes me wish for the vehicle you mentioned earlier in your post. Especially on "Bus Stop!" That one right there could take the coldest winter day and turn it into a hot sweaty cruise thru the suburban jungle in a classic '76 Buick Delta Whale with the top down and the speakers at full tilt!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Papa John represents a lot of guys who were in the trenches playing organ in the 60's, 70's ect.  So I have a lot of respect for anyone like that.  However he, like a lot of organists, run into a heavy Jimmy Smith problem when it comes time to recording.  Playing all those JOS tunes live is great, but when you make a record and you're still playing "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Bucket"-type grooves, "Minor Chant," ect.  Jimmy Smith is almost a genre to himself when it comes to organ.  I think that's kind of the main snag with Papa John's style.  But a lot of guys from his generation fell into that trap.  Now it's Larry Young and Larry Goldings who are traping this generation.  We'll see who escapes.  Ultimately, none of us are above being overly influenced.  I guess we'll see how hip we all are playing "Tyrone" when we're 65.

I will say I have all the respect in the world for anybody who plays this instrument (and has carried it around all these years (Gene Ludwig anybody?!).  Another thing that's been mentioned.  Papa John can hit a groove and ultimately that's what makes everyone feel good.  So more power to him.  But as far as buying his records...well...I don't have any.  But I only have a couple of Joey's so I guess that's not saying a whole lot. :huh:

...just a last thought.  Seems like John Sr. is a nice enough guy.  Hey, he played organ, was forced to be a plumber to raise the family.  Then Joey became King Kong of the Organ and now dad gets to make a few CDs and play some gigs.  Good for him.  Sometimes (a lot of times) music is about just having a little fun and forgeting your worries.  He's paid his dues.  Not everybody can be the "coolest," "best," or "next big thing."  Like a lot of us (and I include myself), he's just somewhere in the mediocre range.  Hittin' a few tried and true licks and trying to get someone to clap when the song's over. :rlol

One of my very favorite organ CD : Papa John DeFrancesco's Hip Cake Walk...

Not only are the players top notch (Melvin Sparks, Bootsie Barnes) but, above all, i find the music selection especially attractive : The Cat, Moanin, Song for my Father, Milestones...Why don(t we find more Cd's filled with that kind of tunes..?Really hot stuff, IMHO

Listening to Let 'Em Roll, I continue to discover how patient Patton is in his playing. Hearing any of the songs off the cd, Patton is never in a rush, supporting in his creavitve manner, and bringing a controlled fire to the music. He and Hutcherson make great combo because of their gracefull, and yet passion filled playing in this great cd.

Edited by Matthew

Many props to ss1, who made a comp for me of some of Lytle’s greeeaziest moments, including “The Village Caller,” which has a groove that JUST WON’T QUIT!!! The rest of the stuff is chock full o’ lard as well!

Credit where credits due my man. Sent that slippery-er than silicone wafer to SS1 ways back and glad to see he's hefted it to someone most appreciative. :g That Lytle stuff is killer. You should grab the real-deal off of Dusty. Worth every penny. And even more kudos to MikeB who painstakingly clued me into a bulk of Johnny's post "Loop and Groovy" LP sides. Been discovering a select few more Lytle tidbits as of late but unfortunately his cannon is in need of some serious merkin swabbin'.

SS1 and Big Al...the 'Groovy Vibes B) of Johnny Lytle' track list:

got that feeling

big bill

the man

possum grease

the shyster

the snapper

screamin' loud

hot sauce

selim

big john grady

lela

come and get it

the soulful one

trick hips

the loop

moor man

killiano

the village caller

moon child

summertime

with, in no particular order...milt harris-organ + wynton kelly, bobby timmons-piano + milt hinton, bob cranshaw, keter betts, steve cooper-bass + peppy hinant-drums + willie rodriguez, ray barretto-congas

Many props to ss1, who made a comp for me of some of Lytle’s greeeaziest moments, including “The Village Caller,” which has a groove that JUST WON’T QUIT!!! The rest of the stuff is chock full o’ lard as well!

Credit where credits due my man. Sent that slippery-er than silicone wafer to SS1 ways back and glad to see he's hefted it to someone most appreciative. :g That Lytle stuff is killer. You should grab the real-deal off of Dusty. Worth every penny. And even more kudos to MikeB who painstakingly clued me into a bulk of Johnny's post "Loop and Groovy" LP sides. Been discovering a select few more Lytle tidbits as of late but unfortunately his cannon is in need of some serious merkin swabbin'.

If I were to buy my first Johnny lytle CD's , what would be your 3 top recommendations

thks

Ace label / BGP (beat goes public) two-fer called "The Loop / New and Groovy". Gotta be available over there. Make sure to cull out the cheese for the ultimate in grease. ACE

The other double is 'Got That Feeling! / Moon Child' or the OJC of The Village Caller. You can get a few of his cuts comped elsewhere but that first one is the key.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

last night i converted wesbed in a baby face willette fan.

it wasn't that hard

ss1

Baby Face = whoo hoo!!

Larry Young = mesmerizing

Jimmy Smith = the master

Big John Patton = big

The organ I'm liking the most for right now is Jack McDuff's playing on Grantstand. That funky shit blows me away. :o

Edited by wesbed

Not only are the players top notch (Melvin Sparks, Bootsie Barnes) but, above all, i find the music selection especially attractive : The Cat, Moanin, Song for my Father, Milestones...Why don(t we find more Cd's filled with that kind of tunes..?Really hot stuff, IMHO

Because they've been played to death? I mean, I'm sure Papa John plays the hell out of them and Organissimo plays those tunes live sometimes but I would never record them unless I figured out a way to totally re-arrange them.

Why? Well, how can you improve on Jimmy's version of The Cat? How many people have covered Milestones?

I'm not saying people shouldn't do these tunes anymore but in my opinion this is one of the problems with jazz today... too much focus on the old by both the artists and the listeners. Yes, it is good to have a strong foundation in the tradition of the music but there comes a time when you have to forge ahead and try to do something that's yours.

I'm really not attacking anyone here. I'm just stating an opinion. I realize that one of the critiques of the organsisimo record revolved around the strength of the compositions but in my mind I'd rather take chances with original compositions and fail than re-hash the same tired standards over and over again.

Just my opinion and again I'm in no way bashing any artist or listener.

How 'bout Count Basie at the organ? It just DRIPS on Paul Quinichette's THE VICE-PRES. Might be what you'd call "old-school greeeaze!" Actually, there's all sorts-a old-school greeeaze on this, courtesy of Bill Doggett, compin' behind everyone including Kenny Drew. Vintage greeeaze, properly preserved!

• 2 weeks later...

Live at the Left Bank....Sonny Stitt with Don Patterson and Billy James. I guess it's still available. They're blowing their brains out. Live and bad to the bone. Makes you feel like you found a secret reel to reel tape nobody else has listened to in 30 years. Great, great, great stuff.... BUY IT!!!!! :D

I chose this thread to post this because I love the greaze and it's my favorite thread. (Thanks Big Al)

As you may or may not know already, I have recently moved. In my book, moving can only mean one thing. TIME TO REJOIN BMG!!!!

The offer is open, if anyone wants to sign me up, just PM me. (The last time I rejoined it took about one minute for someone to PM me so you better act now if you're interested.)