Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attention Greazy Texans, (I just love saying that)

Righteous Buddha will be playing at THE FLAMINGO CANTINA in Austin, Texas on July 17th.

If you got no plans and want to get down with some butt shakin', check it out.

Big Al, I can't promise they'll ever make their way to Dallas so this might be your chance to see them. If you go, introduce yourself to the bassist, Dave, and tell him I sent you.

RB website

Samples from their first disc are here

• 2 weeks later...

I had this at one time. At the time, it didn’t make much of an impression on me. Part of the problem there was that I’d purchased Reuben Wilson’s Blue mode that same day, which made a helluvan impression on me, that I was disappointed that GM didn’t sound like the Wilson! Now I wish I hadn’t traded it away!

I keep hoping Mosaic will give him the Select treatment, though.

Meanwhile, thanks to the BFT, I’m jonesin’ to get Very Saxy with the Hawk, Lockjaw, Arnett Cobb, and the First Lady of Greeeaze: Shirley Scott!!!!

I like VERY SAXY. Shirley steals the show! Should be called VERY SHIRLEY.

I do like the Freddie Roach disc although he is certainly not a Jimmy Smith, John Patton or Larry Young. I also picked up the Spainish version of DOWN TO EARTH not too long ago and it's about the same story.

Edited by scottb

i don't know much/have alot of cds from lonnie smith

is the smith/dukes/benson trio only on l.a.t.c.m.?

shit, i don't even know other than lee morgan who plays on think!

ss1

As Undergroundagent says all the time, "Move Your Hand" is Lonnie's best.

I can't argue with that.

It's a cheaper purchase too.

For the record, I've got "Turning Point," "Think," "Drives," "Mozambique," and "Move Your Hand."

"Move" is definitely the best of the bunch.

I just picked up Fred Jackson HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' on half.com for $12.99!

At first, it would let me check out with it so I thought someone had grabbed it before me but I finally got it. I think I electronically ripped it out of some poor Joe's hands.

I just picked up Fred Jackson HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' on half.com for $12.99!

You, my friend, are in for some seriously underrated grade-A GREEEEEEEEAZE!!!! This album was the inspiration for the original Greazy thread at the BNBB. Laid-back southern-fried soul doesn’t get any grittier than this.

Pity this didn’t sell any better than it did. It more than holds its own against the other B3 albums of the day. Maybe it’s because Jackson & crew were more associated with an R&B band that jazz fans (and Blue Note fans) avoided it like the plague.

Anyway, let us know how you dig it!

And thanks for the props, my man. In all honesty, I’ve always said that it was Jim’s groovy tagline that inspired the thread, as well as a tribute to him & Joe & Randy for the greeeaze they spread and for maintaining a home for greeeeaze-heads everywhere.

So, to put the credit where credit is due, once again, THANKS B3-ER & CREW!!!

Time for me to go spin some Holy Trinity of Greeeeeaze!!!

(Just thought of a dream combo that never happened, for my man ss1: The Gigolo Meets The Holy Trinity of Greeeaze! Ah, if only!)

I think it’s called a “false ending,” my man

Now, a question for all the greeeeeazers: I heard Brother Jack’s “Screamin’” on the way in. WOW is that just ooozin’! Now, should I get the OJC with that track, or get the comp The Prestige Years? Either way, that’s some greeeeaze that I gots to get!!!

• 2 weeks later...

HOOTIN' AND TOOTIN' is all it was hyped to be. A great disc! I love the bluesy guitar work.

The insert was in shambles and the label side has a spot that appears worn. It scares me a little so I think I'll burn a copy for backup. This CD, booklet and insert are by far the worst in my collection, but oh, the MUSIC! The sweet, GREAZY music!

Can anyone scan the tray insert and post it for me? I already printed another cover from that Japanese cover site.

I see that Righteous Buddha is playing with Hairy Apes BMX this week in Austin.

Big Al, if you are joking about a road trip, you should get serious!

Hairy Apes BMX is an interesting group. They feature a guy on vibes who plays as the fourth member of Garage a tois (with Charlie Hunter, Stanton Moore, and Skerik)

This should be a great show. I wish I could go!

Another thought along the "jam bands" / "acid jazz" theme:

Is anyone familiar with THE DUO?

They are an organ / drum duo that are in NYC. Apparently playing one of MMWs old weekly gigs. Some pretty wild stuff. Covers of Zeppelin and the like. They have some live discs out and are in the studio for their debut on ropeadope.

Ropeadope is assembling quite a stable of good groups. Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Charlie Hunter, The Duo, Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Antibalas etc

Is this stuff Greaze? I consider it a modern movement in the grease scene. Neo-greaze if you will. Do we need another thread for this?