Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if a Baby Face Willette Mosaic Select is being considered. Seems like a great OOP Blue Note candidate.

How many albums are there? I have both Conns and love them! The Grant Green album of the Willette-Green-Dixon trio would have to be in there as well, what else?

Good idea! Why not we drop them some mails?

ubu

Soul Stream

pimp me....

i bought alligator boogaloo last week

what jamzz do you/anyone like off this cd?

ss1

Honestly, I think every song on that LP is classic. EVERY one....(and yes, one cylander is a standout, which Lonnie Smith revives on his latest CD "Too Damn Hot.")

"Too Damn Hot" is one of the best jazz releases of 2004.

Soul Stream

pimp me....

i bought alligator boogaloo last week

what jamzz do you/anyone like off this cd?

ss1

Honestly, I think every song on that LP is classic. EVERY one....(and yes, one cylander is a standout, which Lonnie Smith revives on his latest CD "Too Damn Hot.")

"Too Damn Hot" is one of the best jazz releases of 2004.

It's probably my favorite release from last year. Primo guitar on this one by the likes of Peter Bernstein and Rodney Jones (rhythm only). What's not to like?

And yes, as great as this one is..., justice has not been done as far as catching Lonnie's abilities on record. Palmetto NEEDS, no MUST do a live recording of Smith at SMOKE NYC. I has heard there were plans to do this at some point recently, but they decided to do a studio release. I've seen and heard Lonnie at Smoke at he was simply unbelievable. If people could hear his full capablities, he would be #1 in the Downbeat poll every year.

But not to belittle the fact... TOO DAMN HOT is DAMN HOT!!!!! There's no doubt, at least in my mind, that Dr. Lonnie Smith is the organist at this point in time on this planet earth who is at his greatest powers and, with no offense to the all-time master JOS, the Dr. is the best jazz organist in the world right now (and has been for probably at least the last 10 years or so.)

I saw him at Smoke last year and he was holding court. Every jazz organist great and small who could make it was there. And make no mistake, Lonnie Smith was putting out the message, "You guys are great, but you CANNOT touch my muthafuckin' ass with a 10 foot poll and don't EVER forget it." The capping moment of this was when Lonnie went into the fastest version of "Giant Steps" ever heard,...then in the middle of his solo, pretended to fall asleep on the keyboard like a toy with it's batteries going down...only to rise and increase the tempo with a smile. THAT is mastery beyond the human capability. LONNIE SMITH WILL KILL ALL ORGANISTS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Edited by Soul Stream

borders has the dr lonnie cd for $18, i'm gonna use the 25% coupon, knock it down some

dr smith will be at amoeba music in hollywood on january 20th @ 6pm

my info is solid this time i have the newspaper ad in front of me

i should go but i don't know if he is playin' or maybe only promoting/signing his cd

on to baby face willette, since i have him going

fav bfw songs from the bn cds??

ss1

borders has the dr lonnie cd for $18, i'm gonna use the 25% coupon, knock it down some

dr smith will be at amoeba music in hollywood on january 20th @ 6pm

my info is solid this time i have the newspaper ad in front of me

i should go but i don't know if he is playin' or maybe only promoting/signing his cd

on to baby face willette, since i have him going

fav bfw songs from the bn cds??

ss1

Hey, go see the Doctor. He's playing at the Jazz Bakery in LA this week. If you can't make it at least go to the CD signing, buy one then so the Dr. can make more money. :D

And yes, as great as this one is..., justice has not been done as far as catching Lonnie's abilities on record. Palmetto NEEDS, no MUST do a live recording of Smith at SMOKE NYC. I has heard there were plans to do this at some point recently, but they decided to do a studio release. I've seen and heard Lonnie at Smoke at he was simply unbelievable. If people could hear his full capablities, he would be #1 in the Downbeat poll every year.

But not to belittle the fact... TOO DAMN HOT is DAMN HOT!!!!! There's no doubt, at least in my mind, that Dr. Lonnie Smith is the organist at this point in time on this planet earth who is at his greatest powers and, with no offense to the all-time master JOS, the Dr. is the best jazz organist in the world right now (and has been for probably at least the last 10 years or so.)

I saw him at Smoke last year and he was holding court. Every jazz organist great and small who could make it was there. And make no mistake, Lonnie Smith was putting out the message, "You guys are great, but you CANNOT touch my muthafuckin' ass with a 10 foot poll and don't EVER forget it." The capping moment of this was when Lonnie went into the fastest version of "Giant Steps" ever heard,...then in the middle of his solo, pretended to fall asleep on the keyboard like a toy with it's batteries going down...only to rise and increase the tempo with a smile. THAT is mastery beyond the human capability. LONNIE SMITH WILL KILL ALL ORGANISTS, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

The Doctor is bad. I've seen him three times and he blows me away each time. Nicest cat you'd ever meet, too.

They really should do a live recording of him. Even better... a concert DVD!!! :excited: I know someone who could shoot it for not much $$$ straight to digital.