Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloading huh? that makes what's left of my lazy ludite hairs stand on end.

I am with Big Al after looking over the Mosaic Select Patton lists. His 'holy trinity' should be solely repped just for art's sake. Those sides with Jackson and Vick are the best ever. I've been spinning "Oh, Baby!" as of late and can certainly say it's thee greasiest of the bunch. Listened to an old mix of Fred Jackson's BNs along with the Willettes on the way to work today and although not primarily steeped that guy was a cooker!

As for cookin' Prestige should cull all those recipe inspired Jaws and Scott tunes together. For the downloaders just go through those and pick out only the kitchen cuts: "Chef", "Goose Hangs High", "Heat n Serve", "Pot's and Pans", "Broilers", "Smoke This", "High Fry", "Simmerin'" and "In the Kitchen".

I still think Jerome Richardson glazes the pan when he solos but it's essential stuff! :excited:

There was a great grease thread that many of you were contributing to over at the BN (soul jazz or some title like that) that sort of went south but if anyone has that data it would be great to peruse again.

• 1 month later...

The Holy Trinity is on right now in celebration of my new background picture on my computer from the Mosaic homepage which features John Patton and Grant Green. Grant is making a face as if to say, "GODDAMN THAT'S SOME FUNKY SHIT!"

Tonight's disc: Grant Green's strangely unreleased session "Blues For Lou" with the Holy Trinity in full force.

Good lawd, it be greeeeeeeazy!

:bwallace:

I just got into listening music by Barbara Dennerlein. If I understand this right she is German and plays the B3 and synthesizer. Maybe not greasy, but damn she shure is funky! Can do without the cheesy synth at times but she writes very good compositions.

she IS german, you got that right.

as long as she sticks to b3 i like her playing, but i'm not too fond of her synth stuff.

ubu

Anyway, I can't get enough of these guys and can't say enough good things about 'em. Sure, there's other more popular organ combos out there, but in my mind, these guys were wholly unified in their sound. These guys hit a groove hard and stuck to it like glue! Plus, these guys wrote so many of their own songs (which, naturally, belong in a Greeeeaze Hall of Fame): stuff like "Funky Mama," "Fat Judy," and "The Silver Meter" keep the funk flowin'.

Definitely correct, Big Al.

My greaaassszzzy offering of the week: Richard Groove Holmes, "Blue Groove."

There's enough grease on there to top my cholesterol level up so high that it starts back on zero again!

Got some late night greeeeaze goin' with Grant Green's AM I BLUE. "For All We Know" is on right now, and Patton's distorted comping behind Johnny Coles and ESPECIALLY Joe Henderson is so baaaad, I got the extra strength degreaser on the carpet right now!

Hey B3-er, is this the photo you're talkin' about?

WGREEG25.jpg

It looks like they just saw Ben Dixon slip on another greeeeaze puddle in the middle of the studio! :D

Yes, that's the one.

I think Grant is listening to the playback of the track they just did and saying, "Damn that groove is funky as a muthafucker!"

:tup:tup:tup

Got BLUES FOR LOU on right now. DAMN, I wish these guys had recorded more trio stuff together. I like 'em when they got the horns, but DAMN, when it's just the three of them..... well, I'm sure there were a lot of expressions similar to the ones in the picture!

Truth be told, under ordinary circumstances I'd rather drain a quart of vodka and spend the night in the sack with a whizzened old Elizabeth Taylor than buy an organ cd.....BUT having just checked out all the clips on Don Patterson's "Dem New York Dues" I think I'll drop the coin on it. How on earth though could someone slap "Oh Happy Days" onto a disc like that? Dreadful. :blink:

;) I'll probably wind up with the Organissimo one too..."Jimmy Smith Goes to Washington" sounds pretty good.

Truth be told, under ordinary circumstances I'd rather drain a quart of vodka and spend the night in the sack with a whizzened old Elizabeth Taylor than buy an organ cd

What? This is sacreligious! Organ is the greaaaaziest of all instruments. I gotta listen to organ whenever I need to hear some real great greeeze.

Finest instrument ever invented. Trumpet is next. :tup

Here's some rarely heard grease for you...

Jimmy Forrest, Shirley Scott and Randy Marsh (of Organissimo fame!). "Heart of the Forrest" is the LP and it's some bad, live in the club, shit from 1978.

It's rare to hear what these folks were really playing in clubs, especially in this under-recorded time frame. Man, Shirley is ripping it up (pedals anyone?!) and they just don't play like Jimmy Forrest any more. What a treat. Randy does a nice job and really lights the fire under these two. Great stuff.

The only problem is the mix isn't very good. Low organ. The drums are dry and upfront. I'd love to hear this remixed and remastered for a high quality CD reissue.

SoulStream, I dig the new avatar!

Yeah, that old Jimmy Forrest record is a hoot! I guess the organ that the club owner rented for Shirley was in such bad shape that she spent the entire day before the gig behind the thing with a soldering gun!!! :o Not only can she play, but she can fix 'em too!

Weizy, "Dem New York Dues" is a great record. The title track is a fantastic bopper by Patterson that we do in our live set.

And if you want to hear our record, since you're a board member I'd be willing to send you a copy. If you like it send us a check for $15. If you don't, then send it back. Deal?

Glad you dig the new avatar B3-er, it's my all-time favorite picture of Patton!

That's wild about Shirley trying to get that organ together for the gig. Lord knows the late 70's wasn't the best time to find a nice working B3 on your gig I'm sure!

What's the story behind that gig? Was Randy working in a steady trio with them at the time? I'd love to hear what Randy has to say about the whole thing. Playing with Shirley, I'd like to hear about that from a drummer's perspective. :g

Weizy, "Dem New York Dues" is a great record. The title track is a fantastic bopper by Patterson that we do in our live set.

And if you want to hear our record, since you're a board member I'd be willing to send you a copy. If you like it send us a check for $15. If you don't, then send it back. Deal?

That is a good deal....appreciate the offer! No need though, I'm ready to take the plunge w/out a life jacket....so please shoot an address my way and I'll get down to business and start lickin' a stamp. :)

• 1 month later...

I have to confess that I finally heard Jimmy Smith's "Back at the Chicken Shack" on the radio the other day. :w

(No, I don't have the CD yet: I'm holding out for the eventual RVG! I hope!)

I'm so ashamed. That's like the golden goblet o' greeeaze, and I've been passing it up all these years. Heard it in the car; turned the engine off and slid all the way to my destination! :excited:

• 2 weeks later...

Organissimo turned up the greaze this evening in Ann Arbor.

The bar staff should have surrounded the stage with fire extinguishers.

The band members can flat out PLAY!

Jim shook my hand: man that was a greazzy handshake! :P Couldn't hold my beer bottle up after that. He's even got greazy feet from those B-3 pedals.

And don't be fooled by Joe. He may look quiet but his guitar spits out high-octane greaze.

Randy lights up all the greaze into a big fire.

Don't know why Bush and Cheney and all the oil guys running the government even worry about the Middle East when they've got these greazy natural resources back here at home!

You gotta see these guys, Big Al! B)

Edited by connoisseur series500

Man oh man oh MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN I wish I coulda seen them! I was hoping to see them earlier this summer, but that trip fell through. My employer keeps talking about opening a warehouse up in Flint; hopefully, they'll send ME as the company rep!! :g

Needless to say conn500, I am SOOOOOOO jealous!!!

Keepin' the greeeeeaze alive: THANKS GUYS!!! :tup :tup :tup