Keepin' it greazy!!!

Big Al

Oh! My! God!

I just picked up a mint original copy of Brother Jack McDuff's Down Home Style at the Jazz Record Center in New York yesterday.

:bwallace:

This is some down and dirty, sleazzzy, greazzzy, tazzzty, slipppery, nazzzty FUZUNK!

DAMN!!! I completely love this record. I've haven't even gotten through the first side yet, and I've already 'bout fallen out my chair three times! I can't stop my feet from tappin', my hands from clappin'--I'm dancing around the room!

HELLYEAH!

I can't believe it's taken me so long to pick this up. I think it's been discussed 'round these parts before, but Brothas and Sistas, do yourselves a FAVOR and go out and buy this YESTERDAY!

:rlol

I'm going to have to take a shower if I want to get this serious GREAZZZE off my body!

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Righteous Buddha update:

I got in touch with Dave today and he is going to bring me some disc this week. Likely Monday or Tuesday. I'm not accepting any money however until I get them in hand.

By the way he was very disturbed that the sax playing was not credited. It is a guy in town who plays with them on occasion.

Also, they have a new manager and hopefully the website will be back up soon.

I am so ashamed. DOWN HOME STYLE was the first truly greeeeeazy album I ever heard (and in fact was one of the inspirations for the original thread at the BN Bored), and I let this thread go SIX pages before someone else brought it up. Big UPS to Peter for mentioning it.

Much as I love down-home grit of tunes like “Electric Surfboard” and “It’s All a Joke,” I really dig “Memphis in June.” It just sounds like the kind of tune you’d hear during the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley Field. Then there’s the baaaaad-ass cover of “Groovin’” and the slow-burnin’ “As She Walked Away” (with the wicked “Eleanor Rigby” quote thrown in for no real reason, just to see if you’re paying attention).

And then, of course, there’s the cover: a setting so greeeeeeazy it clogs the arteries just lookin’ at it!

Thanks for the RB update, Scott. I was spinnin' BLACK, BLUE, & BAMBOO all day yesterday! I'm lookin' forward to hearing the new disc! Man, between getting that and the Organissimo disc, I'll be in deep-fried heaven!

Greeeeaaaazzzzy disc I compiled for my enjoyment, currently in the disc player:

Melvin Sparks "Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin"

Rusty Bryant "Wildfire"

Leon Spencer "Message From The Meters"

Leon Spencer "Louisiana Slim"

Johnny Hammond Smith "Dirty Apple"

Johnny Hammond Smith "Black Strap Molasses"

Rusty Bryant "Fire Eater"

Rusty Bryant "Mrs. S"

Leon Spencer "The Slide"

Leon Spencer "5, 10, 15, 20"

Johnny Hammond Smith "Dirty Grape"

Rusty Bryant "Wildfire"

Rusty Bryant "Mrs. S"

Leon Spencer "The Slide"

That's a bad ass disc. Nice picks. :D

Rusty Bryant "Wildfire"

Rusty Bryant "Mrs. S"

Leon Spencer "The Slide"

That's a bad ass disc. Nice picks. :D

Thanks man!

Here's another with intermittent greeeeeaaaaazzzze:

Lee Fields "All By Myself"

Billy Butler "The Twang Thang"

Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones "Sweetback"

Booker T. & The M.G.'s "L.A. Jazz Song"

Cannonball Adderley "Snakin' The Grass"

Houston Person "The Houston Express"

Jack McDuff "Our Miss Brooks"

Joe Farrell "Barabara"

Johnny Hammond Smith "Black Feeling"

Johnny Hammond Smith "Soul Talk 1970"

Lee Fields "Bad, Bad, Bad"

Sonny Stitt "Miss Riverside"

I'm going to keep bringing this one up until someone comments on it. Agree or Disagree but say something the indifference is killing me! I know some of you have this because you buy everything!

Papa John Defrancesco's latest release is entitled JUMPIN' and I think this is one the greaziest organ disc I've heard in a while. No rappin' or scratchin' or beat box or crazy effects, just a good solid organ session.

If no one has heard this, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

I haven't heard it so I really shouldn't comment but I will say that Papa John doesn't do it for me. I mean, I appreciate what he did (ie, raise Joey D to be the monster he is) but Papa's playing... it's a little too under-developed for my taste.

But I'm always willing to listen. I probably won't spend money on a new copy, but if I see it somewhere used I'll pick it up.

I think Papa John represents a lot of guys who were in the trenches playing organ in the 60's, 70's ect. So I have a lot of respect for anyone like that. However he, like a lot of organists, run into a heavy Jimmy Smith problem when it comes time to recording. Playing all those JOS tunes live is great, but when you make a record and you're still playing "Back at the Chicken Shack" and "Bucket"-type grooves, "Minor Chant," ect. Jimmy Smith is almost a genre to himself when it comes to organ. I think that's kind of the main snag with Papa John's style. But a lot of guys from his generation fell into that trap. Now it's Larry Young and Larry Goldings who are traping this generation. We'll see who escapes. Ultimately, none of us are above being overly influenced. I guess we'll see how hip we all are playing "Tyrone" when we're 65.

I will say I have all the respect in the world for anybody who plays this instrument (and has carried it around all these years (Gene Ludwig anybody?!). Another thing that's been mentioned. Papa John can hit a groove and ultimately that's what makes everyone feel good. So more power to him. But as far as buying his records...well...I don't have any. But I only have a couple of Joey's so I guess that's not saying a whole lot. :huh:

...just a last thought. Seems like John Sr. is a nice enough guy. Hey, he played organ, was forced to be a plumber to raise the family. Then Joey became King Kong of the Organ and now dad gets to make a few CDs and play some gigs. Good for him. Sometimes (a lot of times) music is about just having a little fun and forgeting your worries. He's paid his dues. Not everybody can be the "coolest," "best," or "next big thing." Like a lot of us (and I include myself), he's just somewhere in the mediocre range. Hittin' a few tried and true licks and trying to get someone to clap when the song's over. :rlol

Edited by Soul Stream

scottb: I got your PM, but I guess the PM server's gone down again. DON'T SEND THE DISC YET until I give you my new address. I think you have my old work address, cuz I believe that's where you send the last RB disc.

Hopefully, the PM service will be up and running tonight and I can send you my new address.

Wow, seven pages of greeeeaze! Thanks to all of you for helping stretch this happy little thread longer than the one at the BN Bored.

A coupla chunks o' greeeeaze I found today:

Road Tested - McGriff & Crawford. YOW! These guys lay it on thick & heavy with "Pretty" Purdie on the skins. Guaranteed artery-clogger from start to finish!

Brotherly Love - Jack McDuff. Brother Jack's final recording is a bittersweet piece o' bacon. Haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but the duet between Jack & Joey DeFrancesco on the hard-drivin' "Rock Candy" is worth the price of admission alone. Besides, you can't go wrong with an album with a song called "Pork Chops & Pasta" on it!!!

Edited by Big Al

One of THE best organ Lps EVER is one nobody talks about from an organist nobody cares about.

BLACK COFFEE by Johnny "Hammond" Smith

There was a local DJ here who played an old LP copy of this thing constantly on the radio. This was pre-CD for Black Coffee (it came out on CD about a year later), and I would have KILLED to get a copy of it. I LOVED it! Every song is killer. It's live in a shitty bar in New Haven CT in 1962 and it sounds like it. Lowdown but masterful every step of the way. I've been underwhelmed by Johnny's other stuff at times, but not this one. His version of Far Away Places is in my top 10 organ songs ever cut. Man this album cooks. Forget about Jimmy Smith, forget about MMW and all that stuff. This is what jazz organ is all about. A thousand guys playing a thousand shitty places and lugging that damn this around to play "Body and Soul" to somebody drinking their ass off. Johnny "Hammond" Smith and Co. do it, and do it like a MF.

If you don't have it, you should be ashamed now that it's so easy to get on CD (coupled with "Mr Wonderful" another good un'). Just a few clicks away from Amazon.com (Dustygroove even has reissue vinyl cheap on this one). I wish I would have been so lucky! Get this now. Get this now. Get this now.

Oh, did I tell you to get it.

Johnny's solo on "I Remember Clifford" is worth the price of admission alone (and then some, unbelievable). Bad ass shit.

PS...I used the album cover as my avatar. I'll keep it like that for a few days to remind everyone that their life doesn't matter until they buy it. :D

Edited by Soul Stream

Brotherly Love - Jack McDuff

Road Tested - McGriff & Crawford

BLACK COFFEE by Johnny "Hammond" Smith

:tup All three of these are available on EMusic.com :tup

Thanks for the recommendations, Big Al and Soul Stream. Brotherly Love is excellent, and the other two are downloading now -- I've probably have to wipe down my cable modem when it's done!! EMusic is extremely cool - Instant Greeeeaze!

b3-er: some of these songs remind me of Organissimo - do you guys do any covers of McDuff tunes?

Fantasyjazz.com lists a new recording by Red Holloway, Coast to Coast. Check out THIS lineup:

Red Holloway - tenor, alto, & vocals on a track called "Million Dollar Secret"

Frank Wess - tenor

Dr. Lonnie Smith - organ

Melvin Sparks (THE MAAAAN!!!) - guitar

Paul Humphrey - drums

Street date is 9/23. Wonder if it's gonna be as good (& greeeeazy) as Red & Plas Johnson's Keep That Groove Goin'? Well, if the sound samples are any indication........ mmmm mmmm MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

b3-er: some of these songs remind me of Organissimo - do you guys do any covers of McDuff tunes?

We do Rock Candy, of course! :)

I love "Rock Candy" too. But to swing it hard like that in D flat has always been something on my "to do" list which I've never quite gotten around to. :rolleyes: McDuff could swing in Dflat, but he seems to be about the only one that liked to. Even Don Patterson seemed to stuggle just a tad (for Patterson that is) in that key on "Deuces Wild."