Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J.A.W.

Conductor Claudio Abbado has died aged 80

11 posts in this topic

It's all over the news here. I'm very sorry to hear this. He was one of my favourite Mahler conductors.

A familiar presence in London. I never realised he was 80!

The last time I attended one of his concerts was in the 1980s at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. One of the pieces he conducted was Ligeti's Ramifications, with the European Union Youth Orchestra. A wonderful performance.

A nice person as well. Lots of projects for promoting music among larger audience, as La Scala director he promoted a program for free "Music for workers and students". His appreciation and support for the educational program in Venzuela for young and poor people should also be noted.

Edited by porcy62

I got the strong impression that Abbado was much more appreciated in Europe than in the United States, at least judging by the numerous reviews of his concerts and recordings I've read over the years.

I dont't know, he was fundamentally interested in symphonic repertoire, and concerts of course. Maybe italian conductors have more appeal for US audience as opera's performer, like Muti or Giulini, a stereotype nowadays IMHO.

He seemed to me to sustain a high level of quality over a sustained period of time, which is a distinct achievement.

The guy was bashful, always prefers his music speaks for him, not an histrionic character who usually appeal the press.

Abbado used to be a favorite here in Chicago in the 1980s when he conducted the symphony a few weeks each year.

Abbado used to be a favorite here in Chicago in the 1980s when he conducted the symphony a few weeks each year.

Welcome back, John.

And I don't think you're a newbie. Perhaps a moderator can correct that.