Mingus Workshops 1964-65

Lots of personal agendas when musicians mention their favorites.

I remember one of our members recommending only recordings where he got royalties.

A perfectly sensible approach!

Yes, due out (only via Pop Market at least for a while) August 28. Nothing that hasn't been on cd before.

http://www.popmarket.com/charles-mingus-the-complete-columbia-rca-albums-collection/details/26894981

mingusbig.jpg

df7acf0a6fec24729cd7c3925b86810c.jpg

Where was the Brubeck duet released (not saying it hasn't been - just curious)?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have most all of it, and will buy this packaging as my patriotic duty...but what I really want is a Mosaic-ish complete collection of the 1964 European tour.

That would be beating the bootleggers!

I think I would have liked the 1964 sessions each as a separate release. I'll be adding this box to my list of things I can't afford or store, but I think separates would have been better.

The Mingus/Brubeck piece, Non-Sectarian Blues is on a Dave Brubeck 2CD anthology, Jazz Anthology.

Used copies for 64 cents.

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Collection-Dave-Brubeck/dp/B000002A2W/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1341889066&sr=1-1&keywords=Dave+Brubeck+jazz+collection

Or you can download jus that one cut for 69 cents. (Which I'm about to do.)

Pre-ordered mine as soon as I received the email from Mosaic announcing it. Haven't bought a big box from Mosaic in years, but not gonna miss out on this one.

I have most all of it, and will buy this packaging as my patriotic duty...but what I really want is a Mosaic-ish complete collection of the 1964 European tour.

That would be beating the bootleggers!

It would also be a very big box. Incidentally, 'The Great Concert of Charles Mingus" was the first Mingus album I ever heard, thanks to the Montgomery County Community College library my freshman year. So that has always remained the gold standard for me, even though Johnny Coles is missing on almost all of it.

It would also be a very big box. Incidentally, 'The Great Concert of Charles Mingus" was the first Mingus album I ever heard, thanks to the Montgomery County Community College library my freshman year. So that has always remained the gold standard for me, even though Johnny Coles is missing on almost all of it.

I'm pretty sure that 3 album set was my first Mingus purchase. Great music.

From the set's discography page:

Producer’s note:

There are instances of distortion in all of these live recordings, most noticeably in Meditations On Integration from the Monterey concert. Every effort has been made to improve the audio on all this music to best of our ability.

I hope Monterey is not taking up space on this set just because of the $200+ prices on amazon. I sold my copy here on the board I think a few years ago, I thought the problems were broader than on just one track, but I could be wrong. I listened to one of the Enja discs last night, sound was excellent. I'm in for the box, regardless.

Is it me or is anyone else with a Mac having a hard time playing the Mingus samples?????

Mac here w/ Lion. At least at 4:30 PM PDT they did not play immediately. I waited almost 3 minutes and all of the sudden it started playing in the middle of the sample. You can then "rewind" to hear the whole thing. So I think they're just slow to load.

In the past I've occasionally had difficulty playing their samples irrespective of the OS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got this e-mail from Mosaic:

Less than a month ago, we wrapped on our new set of Charles Mingus’s own recordings from 1964 & ’65. We had a hole in the 1964 Town Hall concert where the tape on “Parkeriana” ran out after almost seven minutes. Sue Mingus scoured the archives to no avail and we ultimately decided to go with what she had.

Masters were completed. Liner notes by Sue and Brian Priestly were done and we announced the set. Shortly thereafter, longtime Mosaic customer and jazz researcher Don Frese emailed us that, in fact, the missing Town Hall material was in the Library of Congress sitting in the Mingus archives and it contained the rest of “Parkeriana” and an unissued “Fables Of Fables.” So we set about gaining access to that material.

Around the same time, Remco Plas, another longtime Mosaic fan from Holland chimed in that there had been a 1965 Monterey performance that had indeed been recorded and that one track was issued on Sue’s East Coasting label and that another track had been on an obscure Monterey Festival Collection on Clint Eastwood’s Malpaso label. So we contacted the folks at the Monterey Jazz Festival and Stanford University where their archive sits.

Pushing the parties along as fast as we could, we were able to retool the box, adding some previously released music and making it the complete 1964-65 Mingus-produced recordings with the exception of the 1965 UCLA concert that is still available on Sunnyside.

The set has necessarily expanded to 7 CDs, which of course alters the price and delays release until mid-late October. But we feel that anything produced by Mosaic Records that moves a project closer to perfection is worth the wait. This one has become quite an adventure and we hope you appreciate the results.

Michael Cuscuna

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While we wish we could absorb the cost of the extra CD, financial circumstances dictate otherwise. We certainly apologize for this inconvenience, but it is necessary for us to obtain your permission to charge you for a 7 CD set.

If you ordered via credit card, please reply to this e-mail with “OK to charge for $119”. You MUST respond in order for us to charge for the 7 CD set. We have not charged your credit card and will not until the set is ready to ship.

If you ordered via PayPal, please send $17 to info@mosaicrecords.com

We very much appreciate your understanding and support.

Regards,

All of us at Mosaic Records

Edited by J.A.W.