Mingus Workshops 1964-65

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My library (where I work and play) has it on order, thank you voters of Multnomah County!

You're very lucky. My local library has had to cut the hours they're open, due to funding cuts from the local government. (My take is that the politicians feel that the more ignorant the public is, the better is is for politicians.) Definitely no $ available for Mosaic boxes here.

I thought I did, but I guess I just remembered doing it without actually having done it. Hate it when that happens...Oh well, I'm in the pipeline now. It'll get here at some point.

I messed up once because I preordered using paypal and somehow I wasn't returned back to Mosaic and the transaction didn't go through, though I thought it had.

I thought I did, but I guess I just remembered doing it without actually having done it. Hate it when that happens...Oh well, I'm in the pipeline now. It'll get here at some point.

I messed up once because I preordered using paypal and somehow I wasn't returned back to Mosaic and the transaction didn't go through, though I thought it had.

Remember that the set was originally supposed to be 6 CD's and then they upped it to 7 CD's. If you pre-ordered when it was 6 (I did), they sent an email out that you had to respond to authorizing the extra charge for the 7th CD. If you missed doing that, you probably had your pre-order cancelled.

My library (where I work and play) has it on order, thank you voters of Multnomah County!

You're very lucky. My local library has had to cut the hours they're open, due to funding cuts from the local government. (My take is that the politicians feel that the more ignorant the public is, the better is is for politicians.) Definitely no $ available for Mosaic boxes here.

To my amazement and delight, we buy almost everything on Mosaic and a fair bit of Bear Family too. Great and expensive library, beloved here in the Peoples Republic of Portland.

To my amazement and delight, we buy almost everything on Mosaic and a fair bit of Bear Family too. Great and expensive library, beloved here in the Peoples Republic of Portland.

And now even more secure thanks to the new tax base for it. Great to live here in the PRP!

gregmo

Well, the Monterey 1965 stuff certainly is a mess (and the sound isn't great either, though it's OK). Not a Town Hall 1962 mess, but not a success either. It's more convincing in its UCLA incarnation. I went through and sampled the sound on the other sessions. The sound on the 1964 Monterey material seems greatly improved over the vinyl and the original CD issue, though there are still issues with the source recording. But this is essential for the version of "Meditations on Integration". The Concertgebouw material is from a good mono source, Jaki Byard sounds great. Danny Richmond's drums are somewhat muffled, the only real problem with the sound. The horns sound good. The 1964 Town Hall Concert and the 1965 'My Favorite Quintet' Minneapolis recordings sound spectacular, and they form the bulk of the set. Overall, I'm well-pleased.

Edited by felser

Well, the Monterey 1965 stuff certainly is a mess (and the sound isn't great either, though it's OK). Not a Town Hall 1962 mess, but not a success either. It's more convincing in its UCLA incarnation. I went through and sampled the sound on the other sessions. The sound on the 1964 Monterey material seems greatly improved over the vinyl and the original CD issue, though there are still issues with the source recording. But this is essential for the version of "Meditations on Integration". The Concertgebouw material is from a good mono source, Jaki Byard sounds great. Danny Richmond's drums are somewhat muffled, the only real problem with the sound. The horns sound good. The 1964 Town Hall Concert and the 1965 'My Favorite Quintet' Minneapolis recordings sound spectacular, and they form the bulk of the set. Overall, I'm well-pleased.

Thanks for the report. I am definitely going to buy this (probably early next year) and it sounds like I won't be disappointed.