Pepper Adams' Joy Road: An Annotated Discography

Pepper Adams' Joy Road: An Annotated Discography
By Gary Carner
sampling excerpts of the book online, reveals how hard things were even up to the 80s ,for greats like Pepper.
gigs, recordings not paid for, terrible recording conditions, some now considered masterpieces, like Pepper, Herbie H with Donald Byrd
.I assume the reason this is so expensive $75 is because it’s a scholarly text, but I doubt it will get many sales.

Amazon has it for $36 in paper. I may get it out of nostalgia. I met Pepper Adams a couple of times. Once in Montreal in the early '60s and later in Toronto after he'd been diagnosed with cancer. He'd read my friend Josef Skvorecky's The Bass Saxophone about a musician dying of cancer and invited Josef to a gig. (I can't remember where). Josef invited me partly because he wasn't that interested in much modern jazz and not really knowing who Pepper was though he should bring someone who was more appreciative. Pepper played great and sat with us between sets. He was very open about his medical condition and thanked Josef for the story which he felt was true to his situation.

Amazon has it for $36 in paper. I may get it out of nostalgia. I met Pepper Adams a couple of times. Once in Montreal in the early '60s and later in Toronto after he'd been diagnosed with cancer. He'd read my friend Josef Skvorecky's The Bass Saxophone about a musician dying of cancer and invited Josef to a gig. (I can't remember where). Josef invited me partly because he wasn't that interested in much modern jazz and not really knowing who Pepper was though he should bring someone who was more appreciative. Pepper played great and sat with us between sets. He was very open about his medical condition and thanked Josef for the story which he felt was true to his situation.

Toronto is where I saw him in '60s ,at the Town Tavern,with Frank Foster, during a hugh snow storm,only few people showed up, wish I had a recording of that set ,he played like it was packed ,what kind of cancer did he have ?

Toronto is where I saw him in '60s ,at the Town Tavern,with Frank Foster, during a hugh snow storm,only few people showed up, wish I had a recording of that set ,he played like it was packed ,what kind of cancer did he have ?

I don't remember. I do remember that he had be diagnosed while abroad (in Scandinavia I think)).

I don't remember. I do remember that he had be diagnosed while abroad (in Scandinavia I think)).

I think it was a brain tumor.

• 1 month later...

I did get this and read it cover to cover. Really enjoyed it. Many of the sessions listed are audience recordings not readily available but what's most interesting are the interviews about the sessions. There is a lot about the trials and tribulations of a working musician but also much about the joys and rewards of working with someone as talented as Adams.