Death of the iPod (Everyone's buying vinyl)

A Lark Ascending

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an updated/improved version of the iPod Touch, which was already basically just an iPhone minus cellular capability. I'm stoked, because i love my Touch and like having a separate device (to my phone) for music and i will need to replace it at some point.

It's funny how different people can be sometimes. I actually love the fact that I DO have everything all in one device. Less clutter in my pockets. If I had to carry around a phone and an iPod Touch, I'd be annoyed as hell...

I get ya man. I do have music on my phone as well, which is great, especially when out and about. I mostly leave my iPod at home unless i'm going on a trip.

Listening wise, i have all my music on an external HD. A lot of the time i'll bluetooth my laptop to my stereo and listen that way, but i don't always want to fire up the laptop and external HD. That's where the iPod comes in handy, because i can either bluetooth that to the stereo or plug it in to whatever via an audio jack. I also often enjoy just laying on the couch with the iPod on my chest and just listen via it's built in speaker like a transistor radio. All these things i could do with my phone (and do sometimes), but i like to leave my phone off, especially at night, and especially when i'm in bed, but still obviously want to be able to listen to music. There are other things, and technically i could do everything i do with just one device, but ultimately it all comes down to preference.

Anyway, as you say, just different strokes.

Actually, I get where you're coming from 100%. Thanks for taking time to explain. 

I actually use my iPad much the same way you use your iPod. Only difference being that I'm using it to remotely control my Apple TV, which accesses my entire music library on my iMac. 

And I ditch my phone the second I walk in the door. I'm right there with you on that one. 

My last 160 cost me £179.

The iPod Touch 128 is priced at £329 on the Apple site. 

Of course, in time prices may drop. 

Sounds like you blimeys are getting a raw deal.  £329 = $513.49 as of today.

UK prices are always quoted inclusive of sales tax (VAT) @20%, so £329 is £274, so about $428. Yes things do cost more in the UK than the US in general, but *part* of that is the sales tax...

Seems to be almost twice the price of the Classic but good to know I can replace a damaged iPod and manage music on the move the way that works for me.

IIRC, the price of the 160 gb Classic was $399.

I must retract my statement.  I've just found the receipt for my 120 gb Classic (from 2009), and the price was $224.95.

• 2 months later...

This week's Guardian vinyl story:

UK vinyl boom sends prices spinning into 'premium' territory

“You can’t afford to take a punt on an unfamiliar band any more,” says Dara, a 41-year-old HMV customer who didn’t want to give his full name. He’s rolling his eyes at a copy of Oasis’s debut album, Definitely Maybe, re-released at £24.99, including a download code for a number of previously unreleased tracks.

“Vinyl is just too expensive. You’re paying a lot for a few extra Oasis tracks. It’s just going to be bought by collectors rather than people who get it home and take the shrink wrap off.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Vinyl sales may be rising, but have you seen who’s buying it?

"The demographic of the average vinyl buyer is very clear. It’s a middle-aged man, possibly bearded (OK, definitely bearded); kids have probably left home, no longer on speaking terms with wife, spare bedroom has become a shrine to his teenage love: the Floyd (their album The Endless River was the best-selling vinyl LP in 2014). Essentially it’s me."

"Record shops might once have been the sole preserve for local teenagers, these days they are essentially creches for middle-aged men; a place where you can drop off your partner while you nip to Zara and Warehouse, safe in the knowledge that two hours later he won’t be sat in a ditch singing rebel songs with a bollard on his head. (On the downside, he may bring home yet another challenging Ornette Coleman LP.)"

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 08/12/2015, 04:55:12, A Lark Ascending said:

Vinyl sales may be rising, but have you seen who’s buying it?

"The demographic of the average vinyl buyer is very clear. It’s a middle-aged man, possibly bearded (OK, definitely bearded); kids have probably left home, no longer on speaking terms with wife, spare bedroom has become a shrine to his teenage love: the Floyd (their album The Endless River was the best-selling vinyl LP in 2014). Essentially it’s me."

"Record shops might once have been the sole preserve for local teenagers, these days they are essentially creches for middle-aged men; a place where you can drop off your partner while you nip to Zara and Warehouse, safe in the knowledge that two hours later he won’t be sat in a ditch singing rebel songs with a bollard on his head. (On the downside, he may bring home yet another challenging Ornette Coleman LP.)"

I guess that middle-aged men these days are those who grew up with CDs and got into vinyl the way that we (older farts) might have been fascinated by 78s.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hoping streaming would be a flash in the pan, soon to be replaced by the return of the cylinder disc, will not be pleased to see this: 

Fab Four’s full catalogue will make Christmas Eve debut on Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play and Amazon Prime, ending long streaming site holdout

If the vinyl buying demographic is "middle aged men", they're likely under 50. Anyone older than that who actually had to buy all their music on vinyl is all too aware of its shortcomings. I dumped those things like hotcakes. Sure, I have a few hundred LPs these days but that is nothing compared to the thousands of CDs I have.